• Page:

TOPIC: 85ETLR78C fuel leak...

85ETLR78C fuel leak... 5 years 8 months ago #137248

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
First the tilt/trim..now tried to take the boat out today and when priming with the bulb...gas pours out of the hood...ugh.

It was coming from the short, 90° elbow between the fuel pump and the tee. Not available locally so ,I used automotive fule line, in a loop to do a temp fix. Seemed ok but after a bit I noticed gas on the top of the lower carb. Yup, that line is leaking. at the fitting. At this point in time it's time to replace all lines. The cover of the fuel pump has a slow leak...new gasket and/or cover kit in it's future.

My questions are, they only how two pre-made lines. The elbow and the one from the pump to the fuel line interconnect fitting. none of the others are listed other than buying bulk line ?! One of the lines needs to make a 90° turn and I'm worried about crimping it and restricting fuel flow.

The other question is should I also buy the Johnson 'clamps' (not sure how they work) or use typical fuel line metal/screw clamps?

Has anyone changed these lines? A couple look pretty hard to get at.... any suggestions appreciated..

Thanks,

Kerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

85ETLR78C fuel leak... 5 years 8 months ago #137249

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
You're looking for hoses #36 and #55 in this diagram:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1978&hp=85&model=85ETLR78C&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Intake+Manifold

These are the pre-bent hoses for the carbs.

You probably already found these 2 pre-bent hoses off of the fuel pump:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1978&hp=85&model=85ETLR78C&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Fuel+Pump

Their special tie-wraps are designed to grip the fuel line better than a conventional tie-wrap, which you could use but the mfr's will work better. Mercury sells a similar design. You may or may not have enough space to use a screw-type clamp, if you can fit 'em in, they'll work as well.

The mfr's stuff isn't cheap, but it's designed to hold up for many years. Just think, your motor is ONLY 40 years old and you're having to replace fuel lines ALREADY!! ;)

Something else that will increase the life of your fuel system in general is to NOT use gasohol. It is DEATH to old engines, and especially to old 2-strokes. Non-ethanol fuel will make your engine run better and last longer.

HTH........ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: deac1234

85ETLR78C fuel leak... 5 years 7 months ago #137299

Late to the party, but I am going to suggest you go to the fuel manifold from the later V-4 engines. Unfortunately they are obsolete also, but pretty easy to make if you can soldier. Here is a link so you can see what one look like. The small nipple is for the primer hose which you do not have so you won't need that fitting. This will allow you to use straight pieces of hose from the manifold to the carbs. Much simpler. Hope this helps give you some ideas.

www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0390465&pass_title=0390465+%3A

Dan in TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: deac1234

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7053 guests and no members online