• Page:

TOPIC: 1979 Stinger 75HP ??????

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132058

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I picked up a 1979 Stinger the other day hoping to replace the 65 Mrec on my Gruman 14ft Alum hull. The 65hp woujd run 37 to 39mph depending onall the usual crap. I hope I can pick up a few with this. I have never had a Johnson or Ev. before so I have questions.
What do I need to watch for on these engines. things that are known to go bad. Props, are there any that work better than others? It has no pwr trim and I would really like it. Big job to change? Any tricks? Are these finicky at all? Please any info would be great.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132065

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I knew someone with the big orange on hood of complete white motor that may have been a few years older. It ran 36mph on an MFG I think 16 foot tri-hull. I know that keel was repaired twice from burning through as th power beached it in the sand. At one time I saw the bare wood weeping water as it sat on the trailer, so I would think your aluminum boat would be lighter than the glass mfg and hull should be less wetted surface and more efficient. Only motor problem he had was a coil went bad and only fired on 2 of three cylinders. I have no idea of its intended power band and rpm recommendations, so the experts will have to chime in. I think he ran a standard aluminum 17 or maybe 15 for pulling skiers. They have a unique sound all their own. Seemed like a popular motor in its Day. Not sure how it's specs differ from standard motor model. That's all I know- Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cosmic12

Dr.Go!

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132141

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well now I know why I got the Stringer so cheap, The lower end is junk. Runs great just won't move the boat, go figure........ So now I need a gear case all loaded up ready to go. Anyone have one? or what do I look for?

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132146

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I'll keep my eyes open. Should be easier to find a good lower than a good eng. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen a lot of those engines fail. If you do use it make sure to use non ethanol gas in it.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132147

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Speak of the devil, I just found this. If it's truly a 73 I think the lowers will interchange, but check with the experts. I think you may be able to get it a little cheaper by the looks of the ad.

buffalo.craigslist.org/bpo/6144448092.html

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132149

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Paul, Thats what I need to know. What years will interchange. Mine is a 79 for sure. And yes I have non -E fuel in it. I got it all rigged fired it up and it ran great, put it in gear and the noise was unbearable. I had cked the lube and looked brand new and full. Talked to the guy and he said "really? I didn't know about that". Ya right.
Attachments:

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132151

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I had family that had a powerhead blow first time out fishing after buying used. At least I think there are a ton of motors out there. The experts can tell you years that lowers will fit. Glad the guy I bought my motor from said the reverse wouldn't hold and made noise so I stopped using it...since I am not an outboard guy, I thought I should sell to someone that could get it fixed and stick to my inboard motors I know about. I appreciated his honesty and priced so I could get it fixed. Your boat already looks wicked fast with that motor on back! Hope you find a bolt and go lower unit for it soon-good luck!

Dr.Go!

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132154

No, the 1973 will NOT fit. About 1976 OMC changed gear feet on the triples. 1973 to 1976 were hydromechanical shift. 1977 & up were straight mechanical. They shifted backwards from each other. It is possible to make them fit, but is a fair bit of work to swap the bell crank and shift bits. Requires powerhead removal. Easier to just find the right lower unit. You are looking for 1978 to about 1985 lowers with 4-sided upper driveshaft splines. Easiest way to tell visually is look for the housing with the swept back skeg. Later gear cases look similar but use a fine spline shaft. Again, possible to swap driveshafts, but would need a tech to do it so it can be properly shimmed, etc.

I love my 1980 Stinger 75 (same as yours). It runs about 42 on my 15-foot Starcraft American 15. Make sure you prop it to spin. They do NOT like to be lugged. Aim for 5800 RPM at wide open with a light load.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132169

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well if I can find a lower I will get a tach for sure. I am hoping for high 40's my 65 Merc on this hull only pulled 38mph on its best day. The search goes on. Thank you.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132172

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I forgot to ask, will a unit from a 2cly say 50/60hp work? I have found a few of those.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132184

No, the 2-cylinder lower units are different housing, different shafts, different gears, etc.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132191

Cosmic12-I just sent you an email. I know where a lower unit is that is available.

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132213

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

donsaulsbury wrote: Cosmic12-I just sent you an email. I know where a lower unit is that is available.

Didn't get anything, sent one to you also
Thank you'

1979 Stinger 75HP ?????? 6 years 10 months ago #132218

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Today I got one thanks Don and I truly enjoyed the tour. Oh, I think my partner will take that hood we looked at. Wish I had taken some pics of it. Again Thanks so much Don.
Getting it ready for install, hope to be on the water tommaro if the sun ever comes back.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)