Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: evinrude 40 hp

evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #12964

I have a 1961 evinrude lark 3 model 35524. it starts and runs fine but wont gain any rpms (maybe 2000 rpms) i have tuned it to oem specs and put in a new impeller. i have the fuel mixed at 24:1, wich seems like alot of oil.i checked that its getting WOT. i just dont know where to go from here. i mean a pontoon boat pulling a tube was passing me yesterday. my brother has a lark 2 on a 16 ft glastron and he just leaves me in his wake. the motor is on a 14.6 1960 glass craft boat.the only thing i have yet to check is the points as my flywheel does not have the little points window. we run this boat at over 6000 ft. any help would be greatly appreciated. clinton
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13006

If the butter fly in the carb is opening all the way I would say its a fuel problem. Have you gone through the carb. Also do you know how to adjust the carb?. Its one half turn for out for the high speed needle and 2 1/2 turns out for the low speed needle. The will get it runing. You have to be out on the water to adjust the high speed. One way to check the fuel pump is disconect the fuel line from the carb and crank it over and she how much fuel come out.
So theres a start for you.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re: evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13014

hey mike,the guy i bought it from said he already re built the carb this year, but i just took it off and there was some dirt in it so i took it all apart and soaking it over night, my local boat shop has a rebuild kit so i will get it all back together and see what happens. thanks alot for your help. oh yea could i rig a tach on this motor so i can keep track of the rpms? thanks again

Re: evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13020

So far I haven't found a tach for these motors but they do make them. When I clean my carbs I just use the spray carb cleaner and take everything I can apart on the carbs and blow everything off plus all the pasage ways on the carbs. I have yet to buy a carb kit for any of mine. Then only gasket I worry about is the bowl gasket. If I break one I make one. All you need is a razor blade and hole punchs.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re: evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13246

hello mike,i got the carb back together and put a new float in as mine had a big chunk out of it and seemed heavy then i decided to check spark again and this time the bottom plug was oil soaked. so i pulled the flywheel and found the coils so badly broken( the clear plastic housing) that there were pieces laying on the points housing,and the points are set at around .028 instead of .020, so im going to put two new coils, points, condenser and wires and plugs. also i learned that i can change my oil mix from 24:1 to 50:1. so between all 3 things maybe it will run better this time. everybody keeps saying i should be able to pull a skier so i have high expectations this time round. i ordered my parts through napa so should be back together tu, wed. i will keep you posted. thanks clinton

Re: evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13249

you can run at 50 to 1 but remember that is 49 year old motor. On all my old motors that san I can run at the mix I don't run more then 40 to 1, A little more oil is cheep compared to a power head. These motor smoke they burn oil so its not going to hurt anything. In most of my motors I run 24 to 1. If the power head blows then you have a parts motor. O that is nothing unusal for the coils to be craked like that. Look to see if there is a felf wike to put oil on to keep the cam lubed. This is so you don't ware the fiber peice out on the points. Keep us posted. If you need more help my emal is in my profile.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13271

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
From my experience what you describe sounds like it is running on only one cylinder. With 2 cycle motors it is sometimes hard to tell. Like you said, check your coils, plugs, wires and any other electrical parts you can find. Pull the plugs and see if one is wet with gas if the problem continues.

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13287

I am watching intently now I have a 15 foot starcraft with a 61 lark III on it having the same trouble mine seems so sick that it won't even take the boat to plane
I thought I had the wrong prop but research shows I have a 12 pitch prop so I am ruling that out Good luck to both of us

Thanks
Marty

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13306

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Marty what year Starcraft? I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread just wanted to know.
Pete a.k.a. DelRay

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13487

it's a '66 Bahama 15 foot

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13560

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've had lots of problems with them not starting, but once they are running, I've never had problems with them at high speed, other than one cylinder not firing.

Do these late 50's/early 60's Larks have one set of points or 2?

Remember, a new part is simply that, new. That does not guarantee it is a good part. Especially true for electrical stuff.

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13564

All of the big twins have 2 sets of points. And point in these motor hardly ever go bad. Some realy find wet dry sand paper to polish them and thats and set at .20 and thats it. There should be a little felt pad the goes up aginst the cam need some oil on it.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13565

got new parts installed today. one of the old coils had a hole burned through it and was arcing on the mounting plate. the motor sounds really good in the water barrel. headed to the lake tomorrow for more testing and tuning.
Attachments:

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13600

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Me thinks you will be pleased with the results! Have fun. :laugh:

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13796

the boat runs like crazy, its actually faster than i need it to be, trolls good, idles good, its all good. thanks to eveyone for your input. clinton

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13830

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yay! Rah, Rah, Yay! :laugh:

Isn't that just the greatest feeling when you fix something yourself (with a little help from your friends) and then it works!

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 8 months ago #13832

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yaa! Rah, Rah, Yaa! :laugh:

Isn't that just the greatest feeling when you fix something yourself (with a little help from your friends) and then it works!

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #13890

that is just too funny I took my flywheel off and I have a burned coil wire too I am hoping to have as good a luck as you did after freeing up the shift/throttle rev-limit deal and the tune up I am really excited to run the lake this weekend.... I am going to run the Michigan inland waterway on the maiden trip. 45 miles 2 sets of locks and a swinging bridge. I would also like to thank all that commented because I found my problem while following along

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #13892

i took my boat out again and i just cant say enough about this old motor. it starts right up and idles off the trailer and starts right up when the motor is hot. i am also surprised by the power, you can feel the boat "jump up" on plane. now im going to play with props. ive accumulated a few even a stainless 2 blade. im glad i replaced everything under the fly wheel as it took 3 hours to remove it, i broke two pullers and ended up renting one and used #8 hard bolts. we are almost out of summer in wyo so im gonna use the hell of this boat until snow flies. oh and those keeping track i can smoke my brothers glastron now. but we are working on his too. thanks again guys. clinton

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #13905

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
BE CAREFUL with stainless or brass props!!! The light weight aluminum prop is far better for wear and tear on the shift dogs than the heavier props. Be sure your shifter is adjusted so it barely goes into reverse, but holds the shift dog completely tight in foreword. Many a gear has been ruined by a poorly adjusted shifter.

I have re cut the "transmission" drive gears at my shop to freshen the catch point for the shift dog, but the sliding dog that does the shifting, is a part you have to buy from Evinrude. They are expensive. ($100 +/- ???)

A jumpy foreword drive really ruins the fun. :(

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #13908

Sometimes you can tuun the shift dog over and that will get you by for awhile.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #13913

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
On some motors you can switch the foreword gear the reverse gear to gain extra time with new wear surfaces too.

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #14623

Dont know if this is the right thread for this but i have a 40 hp johnson electric see horse. the motot and boat (1960 crosby 14') had been sitting for several years. Changed the plugs and cleaned out the carb with carb cleaner....put some good gas in it and it started right up. i've been starting it and letting it run for bout 15 min couple times a week for about a month.....everything seems to be running good with it....just wondering what the chances of something going bad the first time i take it on the water. Should i replace some stuff now or just see what happens?

Re:evinrude 40 hp 13 years 7 months ago #14635

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I would put a fresh water pump impeller in it right away, it is generally recommended that they be changed every couple of years. The rubber blades wear and become brittle with age, and pieces can break off and find their way into the water passages up in the power head.

I would also drain the lube out of the gearcase and put some fresh gear lube in there. The old lube oil should be inspected for water (indicating bad seals), metal particles (indicating gear or bearing problems), etc..

Sounds like you found a good one, good luck with it. Post some pics of the old girl (in a new thread, you're welcome to start your own) when you get a chance, we'd love to see her.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 14134 guests and no members online