Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson Impeller Change

Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125725

Well, it's been a while since I have had any time to work on the boat but I'm going to try to work on her a little this weekend. The first thing I want to do is change out the water impeller. How do I go about doing this and/or does anyone have any instructions on how to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125726

I just did my 61 Evinrude 40HP and if yours is similar there's a thread in J.E.G.O.'s called " Firing up a 1961 Rude after 4 years." There's some pictures and all the commentary and all the tips I got from the Guru's (thanks again) and some pictures that might help. It wasn't that bad :) Good luck with it. Mark.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125731

Thank you so much, I just read the whole thing and I feel confident now that this will be a fairly easy task. My motor has only been used in fresh water and is also very well kept and clean, there are pics of it on here in one of my other posts.
I've been sidetracked with work and the painting of the boathouse in which the old girl resides has been completed finally so now I can uncover the boat and get back on track with cleaning her up and getting her in the water before the end of summer.
Thanks again!!!!

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125733

Glad I could pass it on :) With the help I got here it wasn't that difficult and I actually enjoyed doing it myself.

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125763

Definitely want to do this myself for sure. :)

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125764

Yeah, there's a good feeling about wrenching on your own ride. I just switched from bikes to boats. LOL. These guys are awesome and help is here for the asking. But you know that already :) Have fun with it and if it's a different setup than mine take pictures of the job for the next guy if you can. It's good karma :)

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125775

Yes, I will definitely take pics for sure.

Thank you moderators for moving my topic, I should've posted here in this section. My bad.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125780

I can see from this pic that the inside of the shroud looks pretty clean.

I will post more pics as I get deeper into this project.
Attachments:

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re: Johnson Impeller Change 7 years 7 months ago #125783

That's very similar to mine but it's even cleaner ! You're going to enjoy this. :) By the way, while you're in there take the top off the thermostat housing and check the screws condition. Mine were rusted halfway through. That's also a good test if you wonder if the impeller is spinning. Remove the thermostat itself and then start the motor. If water shoots out the top it's working. And test the Stat to make sure it pops at temp. I think it was 140 or 150 degrees for mine. You've got it all open so you might as well check on what you can :) My fuel lines were trashed too although they looked pristine and were soft one snapped clean off an inch from the carb. Whew. lol. That's it for now, have a great day playing with it. Mark.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat