Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do?

1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do? 7 years 8 months ago #124756

I have the opportunity to pick up an 85 HP 1977 Johnson with Tilt (and possibly trim) for a great price. Motor is supposed to be good (but needs power pack), but of course we have heard that before. I have not gone to see it yet, as it is 2 hours away, but I have some pics.

The woman selling said it was her late husbands, that he was going to replace the power pack before he died, and it has been sitting for a year and a half.

She said she would accept $250.00 for it, and I figure it is worth much more in parts if the lower etc. is good.

My plan would be to do one of two choices:

1. -- if motor is good (good compression, etc. and truly just needs a power pack to restore to running, repair and use it on my 1973 Crestliner Muskie. My boat is rated to 85 HP, and this way I could put my very low hour 1973 motor away for safe keeping.

-OR-

2. -- if power tilt-trim unit is in working order, remove the pivot tube mount and put the complete unit onto my 1973 Evinrude. My 1973 65HP is the long-shaft model, and uses the same mount as the 85 HP from 1973 to 1977. How hard would the mount-swap be to do? Would I have to change out my control box with the 1985 unit, or could I mount a tilt/trim button on the dash?

Has anyone done this?

Any thoughts would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do? 7 years 8 months ago #124757

Here are some rough pictures of the motor. Does not show cover removed or much of use, but the lady is a novice and so does not know how or what to take pics of. My final decision will have to be after a 2 hour drive.

Re:1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do? 7 years 8 months ago #124759

The lower edge of that cowling almost looks like something went boom in there. Is that just rust or from poor handling ? For 250 though it's gotta be worth more in parts. Enjoy the drive :)

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do? 7 years 8 months ago #124775

Update: The motor was barn stored till this spring. The power tilt works (will have to verify if it is tilt/trim or just tilt). Controls come with it. Seller said her husband had verified the problem was power pack, but passed before getting it.

Does anyone have experience changing stern mount from one pivot shaft to another?

Anyone else have any input?

Re:1977 Evinrude 85HP with tilt - What should I do? 7 years 8 months ago #124842

Well, just like many women in my past, this motor looked much better in the pictures. As rough as the pics were, it was 10 times worse in person. Tilt tube was frozen, controls were missing, wirinf was brittle, bushings in tilt unit were shot, and on and on...

There even was a chain that was bolted at one head that wrapped around the motor and bolted to other head- no idea what it would be for....

Just too much work to be worth it. Sad. :(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)