Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: no fuel on 1955 25

no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #122912

last winter I picked up a rd 17e 1955 Johnson 25 hp.i bought it as kind of a non runner. well today was the day to start it. it starts then dies. come to find out I have no air pressure coming from the engine to push the fuel out of the tank. is it easier to switch to one line with a fuel pump? or find out whats wrong with the system and rebild the tank while iam at it. thanks Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #122999

Can any one help? Bob

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123000

How long did the engine run?
Its needs a little time (30sec ?) to build up some pressure especially if there's not much fuel in the tank.
The little primer button is just to pump some fuel into the carb, not to pressurize the tank.
Pick-up tube in the tank clean?

These tanks are bullet proof once you get them working.

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123012

I pump it till the pump gits hard to pump and the sediment bowl is full. it runs about 5 sec and then quits. then I pump it up and do it all over agane. theres no presser coming out of the fuel line from the motor. thanks bob

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123029

If the carb is full of fuel, it should run for 30 sec or so, even if the hose connector is disconnected.
I doubt that a 5 sec. run would be enough time to build up pressure in the tank.
Can you keep the motor running longer by more priming?
The little "O" rings in the connector may need replacing too.
May be best to disassemble the fuel lines in the engine and blow then out, or replace them if they look original.

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123030

p.s.
While you are pressing the primer button,press the fuel valve open in the connector with a small screwdriver, and fuel should squirt out. If not, the pick-up in the tank could be crudded up.

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123057

well I just removed the filter in the sedment bowl and now I can fill the carb. motor runs till carb is out of fuel. it pumps good pressher. but the tank will not pressher up. and the cap is tite. iam going to try another tank. thanks Bob

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123063

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Bob, couple of things you might want to check. Since the pressure in the tank comes from the lower part of the motor...piston downstroke, you might have a leaky lower engine gasket that is letting the air out somewhere else or did you check the gasket on the tank cap? if it is dry it will not seal the tank. Look for a leaky/brittle air line from the jug. If you can turn or twist the hose where it is connected it will leak, has to be tight.
Just some thoughts

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123065

if I pump up the fuel tank to fill the carb and then un hook the tank and then start the motor it will blow air out of the air side of the fuel fitting.so Iam now thinking that its a fuel tank problem. Bob

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123073

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The fuel fitting has little O-ring seals that are likely shot.

Re:no fuel on 1955 25 7 years 10 months ago #123088

Ok I just tried a different gas tank. now it runs real good. it pops now and then at idel but it runs beter when it warms up. now where can I find some 2 line fuel hose? thanks for all the help guys. Bob :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)