• Page:

TOPIC: Stuck motor

Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119096

• aquatech
  • aquatech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I got a 2hp Johnson (72ish) from a guy at work. It's stuck and have seen different solvent/chemicals used on this forum or elsewhere. Looking for some more ideas and direction. I have heard auto trans fluid, mixed and unmixed. Read somewhere using PB Blaster.

In no rush, but would like to do it in my basement now rather than wait until spring, so fumes would make a difference! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119098

I use the Marvel Mystery oil.

Bob

Re:Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119247

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have used the PB blaster a few times. Never got one loose with it. I always found removing the cylinder head, soaking with ATF or penetrating oil and gently tapping the piston with a piece of pine closet pole and a rubber mallet to work best for me. When it starts to move, make sure you have plenty of whatever you used for lube in there.

Re:Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119249

i just did a 1960 5 1/2 hp johnson that i thought was stuck pistons.. after soaking for over a month i pulled it apart.. turns out it wasnt the rings after all... it was the crank stuck on the lower block bushing..a non roller bearing motor.. a good cleaning and polishing and new rings anyway and it was good as new..

also had a 57 35hp johnson given to me years ago.. owner said it was locked up.. pulled the powerhead off and almost lost a finger as the flywheel turned and caught my hand against the block.. turns out that one was just a trashed water pump..

Re:Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119254

To ALL,

I've seen NO Johnnyrude Big-Twins that were so stuck that penetrating oil wouldn't "unstick" OR that were "worn-out", except if the OB had been run W/O 2-cycle oil in the fuel.
The "old-school" Johnnyrudes are TOUGH & ridiculous OVER-engineered.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Stuck motor 8 years 3 months ago #119256

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm just finishing up a Merc Mark 55 that I bought cheap as a "stuck, frozen up" motor. It turned out the gear case was rusted up inside. Pulled it off and that power head turned like a dream with 120 compression on 3 cylinders and 119 on the forth. Best "stuck" motor I ever bought.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)