Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gale 12hp, Evinrude 15hp Powerhead Swap?

Gale 12hp, Evinrude 15hp Powerhead Swap? 8 years 6 months ago #116420

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, as per my previous post, my '57, Gale 12hp, put a rod through the crank case. Wondering if the powerhead from my '53, 15hp Super Fastwin, would fit the 12hp lower? It looks about the same, other than one sports a pair of studs, where the other has bolts. Looks like if I drilled the threads out, it should fit on, unless there's something between the '53 and '57 that I don't see... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Gale 12hp, Evinrude 15hp Powerhead Swap? 8 years 6 months ago #116423

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
They should fit, but there were subtle differences between Gales and 'Rudes, so can't say as a blanket statement.

Best thing to do is take a powerhead base gasket, lay on the block and see if there are any differences in the block casting/water passages/etc.

If the fitment is the same except for the stud issue, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that mod and retrofit the other powerhead.

Another thing to look at is to make sure the crankshaft splines are the same; they should be but if the 12hp driveshaft won't go into the 15hp crankshaft, it sorta throws a bomb into the whole works!

HTH & let us know what you figure out.........ed

Re: Gale 12hp, Evinrude 15hp Powerhead Swap? 8 years 6 months ago #116439

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
ed-mc wrote:

They should fit, but there were subtle differences between Gales and 'Rudes, so can't say as a blanket statement.

Best thing to do is take a powerhead base gasket, lay on the block and see if there are any differences in the block casting/water passages/etc.

If the fitment is the same except for the stud issue, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that mod and retrofit the other powerhead.

Another thing to look at is to make sure the crankshaft splines are the same; they should be but if the 12hp driveshaft won't go into the 15hp crankshaft, it sorta throws a bomb into the whole works!

HTH & let us know what you figure out.........ed

Thanks for the reply. Before I do anything, I should probably get the old 15hp running first, then figure out if I want to swap... Oh, and I'd better order some gaskets too...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)