• Page:

TOPIC: Another conundrum

Another conundrum 8 years 6 months ago #116319

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Finally got around to taking a second compression reading on a 135hp '73 Evinrude that was supposedly a junker. I did run it about 2 months ago and used spray seafoam in the carbs. The original readings before running were in the low 50's mid 60's. PO said compression was bad. So figured since it ran it's still usable. After running I fogged it with fogging oil, PB Blaster and seafoam spray. With enough time for all the chemicals to work I did a wet reading today and the compression is now 125-130 in cyl 1,3 and 4. #2 reads mid 90's. Figured the rings were probably gunked up really bad and loosened up from the chemical soup. Anyone have a solution to maybe free up some stuck rings? I'm thinking of running it again next month with a hose to see if #2 is any better.
If there is no improvement in #2 is there any damage being done by running during the next summer season with an iffy cylinder?? Thinking of doing an off season swap of my '67 100hp Johnson for this 135 since it does have trim/tilt. The '67 has even compression but in the 90's and runs good.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Another conundrum 8 years 6 months ago #116324

well i know quite a few people using this on old cars to free up stuck motors.. so im sure it cant hurt to try it..
Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone and mix them together in a 50/50 ratio.

if you think it may just be a stuck ring.. you could pull the side port cover for that cyl;. and inspect the piston and cylinder for any damage before making any solid decisions..

Re:Another conundrum 8 years 6 months ago #116325

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Cal, we have a engine cleaner that we use at the GM shop were I work. I will get the part number and post it for you. frees up stuck rings like crazy. if your close to a GM garage just ask the parts man for it. it is greenish blue and they will have it in stock cuz it was used for a recall on 5.3 gm engines that had oil consumption problems. it only took about 4 hours soaking time, smells bad and does irritate skin. greg

Re:Another conundrum 8 years 6 months ago #116346

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey Greg, nothing wrong with a bad smell as long as it's in the right place. Runner, I'll try that if there isn't any improvement. Just hope I don't have a scratched wall. Have to use STP in the fuel instead of TCW. :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)