Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Low float setting

Low float setting 8 years 9 months ago #113970

RDS-25D. I kind of figured out my throttle adjustment problem, for now. Now hopefully the final quirk that needs to be addressed. I can start the motor, choked, when cold. Slowly reduce choke, and throttle from start position till idle is obtained, and thermostat is open (fully warmed). From here it will run for around 3-5 minutes, start jerking like it is running lean. If I increase throttle I can keep it running, then go back to idle. Another few minutes the same thing. If it dies it only starts with full choke, but I can open the choke almost immediately and it will keep running. Also If I put it in gear it will start sneezing, coughing and die. Unless I increase rpms to 2500+. My guess would be a low float setting, but would like other peoples opinions before I start dismantaling to remove carb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Low float setting 8 years 9 months ago #113972

once had a bad reed valve that would do that (only at idle, upper rpms would make enough pressure to stop it.

Re:Low float setting 8 years 9 months ago #113981

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Have you tried going a little fatter (richer) on your idle jet setting? I'd try 1/4 turn and see if that helps. Definitely sounds like a leaning out situation to me.

Mark

Re:Low float setting 8 years 9 months ago #114008

Yes I tried low speed mixture from 1/4 turn from soft seat to 3 turns out 1/4 at a time waiting about 15 sec between adjustments. Was running oil at 35:1, plugs were wet and black. adjusted to 45:1 and plugs are clean now. What I thought was strange is that it would idle smooth for many minutes, and only dying after putting a load on the motor or increasing throttle then going back to idle. And then having to choke for the restart when warm. I have an extra carb so I'll try a rebuild and if that does not work I'll check out the reed valves. Are they replaceable with a new part or only used are available ( reed valves )? Maybe just gummed up from running years on 24:1 30WT? Still hoping for the simple inexpensive fix.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)