Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Running on muffs

Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #113958

Anyone ever run their early sixty's Evinrude on muffs?

So I picked up a '61 Glasspar Lido this spring that had a '57 Johnson 10 h.p. that had sat for a year. Replaced the coils, points, plugs and rebuilt the carb before you guys convinced me that I would be better off with something a little larger.

I was able to pick up a '62 Lark IV 40 h.p. Selectric shift at a reasonable price (at least I thought so when I bought it). After searching the far reaches of the Internet I was able to procure the majority of the item that I needed (selectric shifter, ammeter, junction box, solenoid that doesn't fit in the junction box) and dove in switching over the boat. I wasn't able to find a decent boat-side wiring harness, so I bought a bunch of wire and finally sorted it out.

The problem that I have now is that I'm finally at the point where I can try firing it up. On my first go around a few weeks ago I used the barrel in which I ran my 10 h.p. The issues is that the lower unit on the 40 h.p. is 2 feet long compared to just over a foot for the 10 h.p. As the trash can tapers down, the lower unit gets hung up. I thought I would try muffs as I was able to pick up a pair for just over $10 compared to the $40 for a barrel wide enough at the bottom to accommodate the Evinrude. If anyone has any experience with muffs and could give me tips, that would be great.

Sorry for the long diatribe and the extraneous information. I'm an editor for a newspaper group and spend my whole day cutting other writers' work. When I can just free flow and riff without counting column inches I tend to go a bit long.

On a side note, I keep telling my wife that the Johnson is really collectible and that I'll be able to unload it for a good price. We'll see how that works out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #113963

How far below the bottom of the transom does the leg hang?

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #113971

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Simple. Put the muffs on and hose water on and fire it!

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #113991

You can't use muffs, that motor doesn't have side inlet holes.

Find a barrel or tank to run it in.

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #114002

I've used a large plastic garbage can before with some success. if your lower unit is too long front to back, like my 80hp then I made a cover out of aluminum and a garden hose female receptical and threaded it through a hole I drilled in it.

Just spin it on the hose and screw it to the lower unit. Been using it for 2 years now and it works great.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 9 months ago #114024

Bob's method is the best way to flush or run an OMC with the old style water pickup. This is the way the original OMC tool was used for the purpose.

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 8 months ago #114136

I went ahead and tried the muffs.No problem on that end, but the second time that I turned the key over the starter began smoking out of the bottom. Seeing how I don't think this normal, I stopped trying to start it with the switch. I gave it a couple pulls and nothing seemed hung up. Any suggestions where I should look? I'm really hoping I don't meed to replace the starter as my wife is already mad about what I've spent on the boat.

Re:Running on muffs 8 years 8 months ago #114138

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Your starter could just need cleaned up and lubed, maybe a fresh set of brushes. They are very simple, and parts are still readily available. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a local electrical rebuilder in your area. There are still plenty around who would be glad to have the business - and save you some money too!

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady