• Page:

TOPIC: '60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil

'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112396

• GlassPaul
  • GlassPaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought a 1960 Glass Magic Ranger in very nice condition with a very clean and nice-running Johnson.

I take it from what I have read here already that the oil in the water is "normal," but it is very annoying. Is there anything I can do to eliminate or reduce it?

The milky oil is coming out of the bolts on the lower unit (and, elsewhere I think.)

I'll be taking her out on the water (Long Beach, CA) this coming Sunday for my first real test.

According to Ed, this engine is thirsty. Anyone have an estimate of GPH at cruise?

Thanks,

Paul

BTW: My Ranger looks very much like the drawing in the FiberGlassics masthead. What kind of boat is that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112467

All those old engines were pigs. What looks like a catastrophic failure is usually normal. Start with new, clean gear oil & go run the boat. Then inspect the gear oil when you get back. No water or metal? Then all is normal.

Best advise is clean fresh fuel, quality oil, be sure it is pumping cooling water & frequently check the gear oil.

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112471

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome. Thanks. Taking her out this morning. I'll report back. Are there any vids or tutorials here re: standard maintenance tasks like this and impeller replacement?

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112479

Figure on something around 6 Gallons per hour of cruise. If you burn less than that - consider yourself lucky!

Best advise I can give is to always have 3 fuel tanks on hand. If you are just tooling around a small lake, or will be staying within a mile or 2 from the launch ramp - then monitoring your fuel use isn't as critical. But if you are on a Bay, the ocean, or a large lake - you absolutely need to be aware of your amount of fuel on board and the rate at which it's being consumed. When the first tank runs out, consider where you are in relation to the starting point. If you boated in a straight line away from one point - and run out of fuel, you will need the same amount of fuel to get back to that starting point. Run the tanks until they are empty - as refilling with the correct mixture is easier when dealing with a full tank. Now the 3rd tank is kept in reserve, in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Always have at least one tank of fuel that you do not plan on needing. You will be grateful to have it in a time of need. The next time out, use the tank you had in "reserve" from last time. This will force you to "rotate" through the fuel supply and avoid having a "spoiled" tank of old fuel.

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112522

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, Bruce, for the detailed info. Your advice is 100% accurate, it appears.

I splashed her and took the briefest of test runs at the Long Beach Marine Stadium. It's very handy b/c it's right near the launch and has no speed limit. I ran her up to 25 mph or so (who knows how accurate the old speedo is, but it felt close enough) just to see if I could. Then I just cruised around the harbor wakeless, then out the breakwater just for yucks, and -- mercifully -- just immediately headed back to the launch.

I didn't want to spend much time b/c I know I need to replace the impeller. I just wanted to get an idea of what I had purchased. Frankly, I'm thrilled with the performance. The old Johnson just purrs. The boat draws maybe 6" of water at the stern and planes out very nicely. Turning is a little scary b/c the bottom is quite flat in the rear. I'll get used to it.

I had just under 3 gals + another tank; total cruise time was one hour. Ran out of the 3 gals as I was approaching the trailer. Coasted in. Well, my buddy and I pulled her the last ten feet or so onto the trailer.

My original plan was to swap out the 2-stroke with a 4-stroke so I could take her onto Lake Tahoe. Yesterday just talked me right out of that plan. The 75 hp Johnson is just simply the right motor for this boat.

Now, who can tell me how to replace the impeller and the oil? I was gonna have the local boat guys do it, but I think I should learn how to change the impeller and keep a spare handy.

Also, I'm considering getting a new prop. Current one has a couple of small nicks, and we got some small vibration, so I think a new prop -- and having the old onboard as a spare -- would be a good idea. Where should I look, what do I need, and how much should a new prop cost?

Thanks Everyone!

Paul

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112525

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a pic:
Attachments:

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112526

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's the Johnson:
Attachments:

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112532

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
What prop do you have now? I'm thinking your boat would need a 10 1/4 x 10 pitch. That pitch was pretty common on those 75s. A Michigan prop number for that pitch is PJ-75.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112545

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Paul, here's a thread I posted about a year ago on changing an impeller on a 65hp Evinrude. Most are similar but not exactly the same. This one had electric shift. Someone will guide you through the procedure. Not something to be done at the landing :laugh:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/j-e-g-o-s-place/water-impeller-posting#102059

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112554

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow. Thanks for all that work, Cal. Looks a little intimidating to me at this point, so on this first go 'round I think I'll have the shop do the work. Too many parts for me to drop, damage or lose altogether I'm afraid.

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112556

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, Jim. Mine sure looks closer to 10"; I don't know how to check the pitch.

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112577

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
GlassPaul wrote:

Thanks, Jim. Mine sure looks closer to 10"; I don't know how to check the pitch.

Paul,there should be a number stamped on the prop hub. OMC props will have those numbers that are on the diagram I posted. Michigan props will have a number like the PJ-75 or something to that effect. Post your number and me or someone else might can "decipher" it for you. jim

Re:'60 Johnson 75 hp Super Sea Horse spewing oil 8 years 10 months ago #112580

• GlassPaul
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, thanks. I couldn't find a number on the prop, but I didn't take it off to look at the hub. Will do that and report back. Paul

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)