• Page:

TOPIC: A couple of things

A couple of things 8 years 10 months ago #112090

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Started stripping the Johnson RDS-20 today for paint. Most of you probably know this but for those who might do this at a future date. The emblems and badges are held on by little rubber thingies(?)that are usually pretty brittle after 50+ years. I did this to this motor and also my '60 75hp Rude.
Take a heat gun to soften up the rubber washers slightly just to make them pliable, slide a sharp knife or something else under the soft rubber, insert a small screwdriver and just give it a gentle twist. You can save them all to reuse and not damage the stub on back of the emblems.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A couple of things 8 years 10 months ago #112115

saber the ones on the motor that I restored last summer were all very brittle. so I used some clear silicone and put a dab on each one and it worked very well. but I kind of cheated I put it on a very good 62 electric shift. it looks like a 58 35hp but its a 40 hp. thanks for the tip. Bob

Re:A couple of things 8 years 10 months ago #112130

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Both great tips. I have one that I will get to one day and have wondered how to work on those old brittle clips. I'll remember both methods and likely use both.

I have the opposite issue on a '65 West Bend cover that has metal clips on plastic studs (plastic badges). Thinking I'll have to rig up something to separate the clips on that one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)