Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lower End Problem I Think.

Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112061

Hello All, Well once again I need the Famous knowledge of the Great Minds here on this Forum. I currently have a 1963 Johnson Super Sea Horse 40 HP. I Had the Lower End repaired last year. Found a good size junk of fishing line inside behind the prop and it wound itself pretty good, and had to replace the seals and such. Said Lower End in Great Shape and all good. Now this Evening went to take out the Boat, Started up good, but when I went to take out after the Dock, put it in gear and started to move Forward and the Motor was reving but was not going any faster. Reverse works the same way. It appears to go into gear I can feel it, but when I give more throttle it revs without gaining more speed. I have had it out an allot lot this year so far and has been running Great. I took off the access panel for the shifting rods and they are where they should be and the Bolts are tight. Please Help with Suggestions on this ,cause now the Wife wants to learn to Fish and the Boat not running. Thankyou very much in Advance. Tom in Michigan. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112062

Possibly a spun hub on the prop.

Re: Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112063

Thankyou very much Doug. Didn't think to check that. I will tomorrow..So do you just tighten it back up? :)

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112064

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
you will have to replace it. I have heard of repairing them, but I would replace it with a good one. if you have the numbers off of it I will see if I have one that will fit. frog

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112065

pop the nose cone off and check out the shear pin...
those pins are made to let go before damaging the gear case and prop..

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112066

Hello Frog, yes I will be going back down to the Dock tomorrow and Im going to pull the Nose cap off and see if I can get off the spun hub. and I will also check the sheer pin while im there. Will Inform on here as soon as I know. Thankyou Tom.

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112067

Hello VintageRunner, Yes I will check out the sheer pin and such when I go back down in the Morning. Thankyou Tom. I will let you know. :)

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112068

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
To test for a spun rubber hub, take a Sharpie or other felt marker and make a mark on the aluminum prop body. Then make a matching mark on the brass propeller hub.

Run the motor, after it slips check the match marks. If it's slipping the marks will be out-of-line.

A propeller shop can re-hub the prop but usually it's quite a bit more than finding a good used prop on ebay or Craigslist. And there are plenty of props out there that fit a Big Twin!!!

HTH........ed

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112069

Hello Ed, Thankyou very much for the Quick Response. I will Check it out today, and get back to you. Tom.

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112076

Hello Frog,Well I went down to check on the Prop. Did the Test on it like Edsuggested and they did not Line up. :( The numbers on the Prop say 304825. Same side different spot says 10-3/8x13-1/4. Hope that information helps. If you need anything else you can contact me also at my email. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. If you want my Phone Number contact me here or the email and we will set something up. Thankyou so very much. Tom. :)

Re: Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112077

Hello Doug, Thankyou very much also Sir for your quick response. It is a Spun Hub. Now to find 1. Tom.

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112089

Hello vintagerunner, Thankyou very much for your Reply. Sheer pin, cone, and cotter key all good. It is a Spun Hub. Tom.

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112103

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tom, i'll check on the prop tomorrow. I have 8 of them so maybe i'll be able to help you out. Frog

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112104

Hello Frog, That would be Awesome. If you need any more info holler. Thankyou Sir. Tom.

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112128

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tom, I checked the props that I have. and the ones with numbers on them are not even close to the numbers that you said that were on yours. I have 3 props that I can not find any numbers on them. sorry that I could not help you out. put a want ad on c/l or e-bay. greg

Re:Lower End Problem I Think. 8 years 10 months ago #112131

Hello Greg, Thankyou very much for checking on your Supply. lol. Ive already checked ebay and nothing. I will check craigs list. Have a Great whats left of the 4th of July Sir.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)