• Page:

TOPIC: Gale 3hp spark issues

Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111859

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a like new 3hp Gale Sea King ('63) couple years ago. Seems that I changed the coil with one that I swapped out of a twin cyl. The twin had mix matched coils, older one was cracked, so I changed both, and saved the newer one, which I put in the single cyl. Gale. OK, the Gale has been sitting for a couple seasons, so I went through it. I checked the spark first thing, it was bright blue & snappy. When I put it all back together, it wouldn't start. After checking everything else, I rechecked for spark, there was none...??? It doesn't seem to me that a cold coil should change one minute to the next, what else should I look for...??? The plug wire is new, I will pull the flywheel and check the connection... Condenser...??? Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111866

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Did you use copper wire core plug wire? Did you advance the throttle lever? (don't laugh, I forgot a couple times and it drove me nuts until I realized what I forgot!)

Re: Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111871

55bigtwin,

Your trials & tribulations with that little 3- horse Gale is WHY I believe that the points, coil(s), sparkplug(s), condenser(s), plug wire(s), fuel filter (IF your OB has one), gas lines & water pump impeller should be REPLACED and the carburation rebuilt on every one of these old Johnnyrudes, regardless of how the parts LOOK and/or what the previous owner CLAIMED to have repaired/replaced.
(Less than 100.oo spent at your local NAPA Auto Parts Store will make that little OB near "bullet-proof". = Btw, OMC parts are sold under the SIERRA company brand-name.)

May I also suggest that you find/read a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER, from cover to cover?
(I gave 5 bucks for my copy at a thrift shop.- BEST 5 bucks that I've spent in years.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111885

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Clean and gap the points .020", if you still have no spark then likely that coil is no good.

The fact that it sparked hot then failed, leads me to believe the problem will lie with the coil. Very common to see them go like that, once they get hot they'll quit and never work again.

Check eBay for lots of good deals on replacement coils.

HTH.......ed

Re: Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111897

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...OK, Thanks all for the advice. Upon pulling the flywheel, I found that the plug wire had pulled away from the coil somewhat. Then I noticed a flat spot in the plug wire. It appears that the wire was pinched when the side cover was put back on, and possibly held it in place when the spark lever was advanced, pulling it out...??? Anyway I put it all back together carefully, and it started first pull, and kept running in the barrel for 45 min or so.
This has the old 'enrichment' type carb., with no choke. I have not been able to find parts listed for it anywhere, yet. Anyone know of any sources? I usually use 'IBoat' or 'MarineEngine', but haven't been able to find anything on it... I do still need to find a copy of the 'Outboard' book...Thanks again for the help

Re: Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111902

The "cheap outboards" book got it's start in a series of web articles. I've collected the full index here:
www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html

For manuals, check out:
richardlpaquette.ca/vikingmanuals.htm

The 3D18V should be very close to yours (except for cosmetics)

Re: Gale 3hp spark issues 8 years 10 months ago #111981

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
silver-bay wrote:

The "cheap outboards" book got it's start in a series of web articles. I've collected the full index here:
www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html

For manuals, check out:
richardlpaquette.ca/vikingmanuals.htm

The 3D18V should be very close to yours (except for cosmetics)

Awesome, lot's of good info, Thanks...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)