Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude gauge questions

Evinrude gauge questions 8 years 10 months ago #111742

I am wrapping up a restoration of my 1967 Chris Craft Castaway. It's like a Boston Whaler. I am running a 1976 55 HP rude and would like to add some vintage gauges. Thinking a speedo, tach, ammeter, maybe water pressure. Are there special gauges I need like a tach that's compatible with the cdi? I want her to be as period correct as possible. I have a nice air guide speedo but not sure what else to look for. Are they even useful?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Evinrude gauge questions 8 years 10 months ago #111799

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Craig a 1976 Evinrude should have the tach sender wire coming up to the control box, which reads "pulses" from the alternator/magneto. (Doesn't matter what ignition system you are running). Most modern tach's have a setting for 12 pole which is what that motor is if I'm not mistaken.

I believe a voltmeter is MUCH more useful than an ammeter IMHO. A water pressure gauge is a must in my opinion, you don't have to stare at it but it will give you a much quicker indication that something is amiss in the cooling system.

I think a speedo looks nice and is a good compliment to any well appointed dash. No, they're not as accurate as GPS - but still nice to have a reference that's usually correct withing a few MPH.

If you are building a boat to show the period correct gauges would be the way to go, but if it's going to be a daily driver updated accuracy is more important in my book. Just my two cents...... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady