Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine cowl sound deadener ?

Engine cowl sound deadener ? 10 years 1 month ago #90765

Fellow Homlite - Bearcaters
I ask you to weigh in on this subject. Evidence of some kind of sound deadening attempt is apperent of both my 66 an 72 engines. Adhesive remnants mostly, and on the 72 there were vestiges of some kind of sound deadening material on the crankcase too. Owning a 1972 Whaler I asked for input from their forumites and got an interesting reference of a product called Dynamat. www.dyamat.com
I ain't family and have no vested interest in the company.
What did Homelite / Fisher Pierce use for sound deadening?
Looking forward to replies,
Tom from Rubicon, WI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 10 years 1 month ago #90797

Tom: I found a sound deadening material at Foam Factory, Clinton, MI. www.foambymail.com/sound-barriers.html It is a 1/2" Neoprene Foam. It can be cut and shaped quite easily. Will not make a 90 degree corner, that has to be cut and shaped. I installed the material in a Bearcat wherever it could be easily placed. That is to say it doesn't cover 100%, more like 70% of the interior. It cut down on the noise by 20%. (That is a "by the ear" estimate only). Glued in with a Locktite spray glue. After two years it is still in place. Also fairly cheap at $32 for a 80" X 24" plus shipping.
Attachments:

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 10 years 1 month ago #91015

Thanks for the reply, would still like to know what material was used on the engine crankcase. I would love to talk with one of the production engineers from Homelite/Bearcat.

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 10 years 1 month ago #91240

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
They used foam, and sometimes on the latest models you would see foam/lead sheet/foam.
It was a joke in overall effectiveness. Look at an E model, with the sound deadening coating on the cam over/crank cover/pan. There's a service bulletin from Bearcat stating the E model sound deadening with the muffler caused more problems than it was worth.
Greg is right, use foam or the vinyl-backed foam which is what I use with either the spray adhesive or contact cement. I have used the vinyl-backed foam, glued the foam to the hood with the black vinyl facing the motor, has worked well.
I think the sound reduction is dramatic, in my experience.

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 10 years 1 month ago #91270

In both the 66 and 72 there were vestiges of some kind of dampening material inside the engine cowl. I appreciate your contributions.
Now I still have a rub rail to mount, Chrysler TnT to wire up, a 1953 ford Jubilee 3pt hitch lift to make work, and a 1950 Harley Davidson to reassemble, and I ain't getting any younger. I do very much thank our forumites for the help given.
Tom from Rubicon,WI

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 8 years 9 months ago #112910

Old thread I know but has anyone used 3M sound deadening pads or Evercoat Q-Pads?
Steve
WizardIII

Re:Engine cowl sound deadener ? 8 years 8 months ago #113916

No, but I just used a product called "road kill" I got from a stereo shop. It is similar to Dynamat. Self adhesive on a clean surface. I've gone two layers thick, and it has made a very big difference. I also changed out the lower transom mount bushings with some from a late model motor. They seemed more pliable than the early ones. That helped some too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8016 guests and 4 members online