Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spring is here!

Spring is here! 11 years 5 hours ago #75802

• billr
  • billr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Lots of guys getting their old Homelite and Bearcat motors ready for the season.
I had a guy show up today and take 5 motors off of my hands. I can actually move around now without tripping.
Couple guys out there doing some nice restorations, and complete rebuilds.
What is everyone up to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #75826

Hello Bill,
I talked with you on the phone a short while ago about what I was after. Finally did find an F model closer to home so I'm on the path to switching from the Evinrude. I recall someone was able to use the older two lever Simplex controls on a Bearcat but I haven't figured it out yet.
I did pick up the 4104 filter from Napa (says GOLD on it and they must think it is) and wonder if anyone has used Permatex (or...?) to keep it from coming loose.
Thanks for the chat,
Steve
Talent, OR.

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #75864

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
billr wrote:

I had a guy show up today and take 5 motors off of my hands. I can actually move around now without tripping.

What is everyone up to?

If someone showed up here and took five engines and five motorcycles, I might have enough room to get a four wheeled vehicle in my garage. Charged the battery and bought new trailer tires today. Talked with my son about a possible fishing trip Sunday, but I don't think it's going to happen. I've done nothing with any of mine through the winter.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #75865

• billr
Just use a large channel lock to tighten the oil filter snug, do not overtighten. Do not use any sealant or adhesive. Use the o ring that comes with the filter. I have never had one come loose when serviced per above.

Dick,
Me neither, was lazy over the winter!
TOday I ran up to storage and dragged home my 14T Power Cat with short shaft Bearcat.
Another primer bulb bad, no kidding. Switched out fuel hose assy with a new old stock Bearcat hose/bulb/fitings and that fixed that little problem. Speaking of primer bulbs, I've seen many of them bad. Myself and a friend have bought new ones and right out of the package the check valve did not work. And this one going bad in service today makes yet another I've seen go bad. So anyway guys, check them often! I carry a spare in every boat I own, with clamps.
The 55 is idling nice, charges on either high or low stator lead at idle. Temp is stable. NO SMOKE. Let me repeat, No Smoke. Matter of fact usually if I fire up my Black Stack there are no flies/mosquitos around, as the Bearcat idled I could see skeeters buzzing around the engine.
I installed new Teleflex TFXtreme shift and throttle cables, WOW what a difference that makes. Never ceases to amaze me. You notice the smoothness every time you use the lever, so I highly recommend those specific cables as they have a unique splined core:
www.teleflexmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/TFXtreme-datasheetus.pdf

Ok, going to be catamaran fever here shortly....

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #75977

Billr, long time no hear. How's everything? I've been working side jobs, some woodworking - some welding, to earn extra money to pay for parts. I ordered some marine paint from Rustoleum. The crap I originally used, Spar, to spray the motor can be scraped off with my fingernail! I read the reviews for Rustoleum and they are good. Since I won't be keeping the motor in the water, below the water line paint is not necessary. Anyone hear about or use Rustoleum marine paint? I ordered antique white. Very close to the original of white of the Homelight color. It can be thinned with acetone.

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #76000

• billr
I have heard good reports on Rustoleum, search main forum.
THe paint codes are in this forum you can go to Napa and get it in aerosol cans or cans.
The cheap off the shelf way is Hammerite smooth white and light blue metallic, which holds up well in saltwater by the way.

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #76679

• sabot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Dick
It's me Wayne
Just got back from Arlington wash. picked up my Homelite from Ross
Don't remember what. day Drove round trip from Sandpoint Id to Arlington Wa.
and back same day LOL LOL got the motor on my boat and the controls box mounted /next the cables and wiring Ross made every thing simple for me. The problem on the Tach. reading 1000 rpm (rust) took apart and cleaned Now it's ok reads 0

Re:Spring is here! 10 years 11 months ago #76721

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Wayne,
Welcome to the Homelite/Bearcat classic outboard forum!

Did some boat cleaning Sunday and lit off my Homelite for the first time this year. New tags on the hull, new tires on trailer. I'm thinking it may get a new top this year. It's about ready for it's first outing. Engine ran perfect as usual. I haven't run my F block engine since '09 and am thinking of running it this year also. Would like to make another run with the 85hp as it too has sat since the fall of '10.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate