Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Valve Spring Removal

Valve Spring Removal 11 years 3 months ago #72719

Okay- I am attempting to rebuild a 1963 Homelite 55. I think I am doing pretty well so far. Only broke off a few bolts and lost a couple more. I managed to get the seized cylinders out without any apparent damage, but now I am trying to get the valves out so I can have the block gone through at a machine shop. I understand there is a special tool that is recommended, which I do not have. I have put out a few feelers to some of the local guys, but thought I might try here. Any help on how to do it or special tools used would be great.
Also, if anyone knows a machine shop in Washington that has seen these motors before let me know. Thanks, Jason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Valve Spring Removal 11 years 3 months ago #72735

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You'll have to make the tool, it's simple. Flatbar to bolt on the bosses on the block (you may have to tap the bosses with a 1/4-20), piece of tubing or pipe and some round stock or all thread. Then something to support the valves in the cylinder.

Don't know of any machine shop in WA but a local fellow here in OR told me he had a Crosley engine built by these fellows: www.iveyengines.com/index.htm

File Attachment:

File Name: Scan0004.pdf
File Size:774 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate