• Page:

TOPIC: It's pumping!!!!

It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #63660

• elgindave
  • elgindave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
The Mariner powered pontoon puked. I think it is the Ignition module.
So I got off my butt and put the Bearcat together. Got the thermostat back in place. (What a trick)
Fired her up and presto it's pumping. Will be on the water by the 4th! :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #63684

Nice!

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #63688

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It's always nice to have a "back-up" motor! Seriously Dave, glad you're ready for the holiday. Enjoy and be careful out there. :P

Mark

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #63697

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Great! Amazing with that key inplace how that works! ;) Yep the thermostats are fun to put back together for sure! Let us know how it performs when you finally get it in the water. Funny, you've went from a Homelite to the Bearcat and I've went from the Bearcat back to the Homelite. Hopefully mine will pump good next time out as I didn't get a chance to use it this past weekend.
Have a safe and happy 4th!!

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #63713

• elgindave
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
4 Stroke; My Bearcat had an extra spring and do-dad in there too. My parts breakdown manual didn't show it. It was an extra plastic thing with a spring that went into the outer housing. :unsure:
Have a Happy Safe 4th. They just made the fireworks law that go up in the air and go boom here in Mich legal. You can sell,buy and use them here now. With being on the lake we just set back and enjoy. Of coarse they were always here before they were officially legal. :lol:

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64055

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Well I took mine out this morning, got on the lake about 6:00am and was planning to be off around 10:00am. No deal still not pumping! :angry: Brought is back home and removed water pump again. Everything looked fine except I'm not impressed with those Globe blue impellers, they are a tad bit bigger, looks like less spsce for water in the housing. Took the damn thing out and put in an original black one, bought me a barrel and cut it down to fit under the leg. Fired it off, hell it pumps better than it ever has. Never had a pee stream at idle (500rpm) with this engine and that duel pipe water pump before, it does now. Maybe next weekend????? :P

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64081

Great! That's what I have. One of those globe blue impellors. I'm little ways off from firing mine up. I hope I don't have any problems. Mines a '66 Homelite. Also, I have just a regular woodruff key, no spring. Actually, it fit fine and with all the new stuff, I'm still able to turn the driveshaft by hand. Tight, but, smooth.

By the way, forgot to mention. I'm not going to build a custom mount for the re-assembly of my motor. First of all, the oil p/u tube is not removable. I want to mount it level which means I can only work on one side at a time. I might as well as put her back in the whole unit and I don't need to make a mount. Unless anyone has a good idea of a custom mount. A day to spray the parts and the block, and back she goes.

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64103

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I think the globe is okay but I'm not sure if it's the two tube pump that is causing the trouble. At some point I want to change this system to the later style cooling system. For now it appears to be working fine.......finally! Every one of mine have woodruff key, I'm not aware of a spring????

Oil pickup tube not removable? Haven't seen one yet that's not removable, from my '61 through my '70, did someone weld it in?

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64140

• elgindave
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The new impeller I put in was blue. Got 3/4 around the lake when the horn went off. Pulled lower. Impeller was destroying itself.
Did I install it wrong? So I robbed the impeller and housing from the old Homelite. Key to skinny. Found a better one so now we are pumping. So far so good. I have an infrared thermometer I shot it at the power head and she read 120 to 130 degrees
The pee hole is squirting sometimes bette than other times. I think there is some scale in thereplugging it up. The thermometer shows it is coolng. and no hot horn!
I'm now an expert on how to install the lower unit as many times I've done this week. B)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64144

I can take the oil p/u tube off, but, don't I have to take the oil pan off? It's sealed and doesn't leak. If I have to take the pan off, I'll just put the motor back in the outboard and assemble it there. I'll look thru my manuals and see what I can do. I may do that anyway since I have to rewire the motor. My camera should be here Wednesday. ?? I want to make sure I fire up the outboard to see if any issues come up. If none, it's on to trailer time.

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64148

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
elgindave wrote:

The new impeller I put in was blue. Got 3/4 around the lake when the horn went off. Pulled lower. Impeller was destroying itself.
Did I install it wrong? So I robbed the impeller and housing from the old Homelite. Key to skinny. Found a better one so now we are pumping. So far so good. I have an infrared thermometer I shot it at the power head and she read 120 to 130 degrees
The pee hole is squirting sometimes bette than other times. I think there is some scale in thereplugging it up. The thermometer shows it is coolng. and no hot horn!
I'm now an expert on how to install the lower unit as many times I've done this week. B)

Well since two of us are having the same problem I don't think you are doing anything wrong and we both resolved the problem the same way. Notice how much thicker the blue one is compared to the OEM black. Seems like it's taking up water space and the volume it delivers is less. Am I wrong? Notice the two blue ones I have together, the driveshaft hole in the one I was using isn't even centered. The other one is new just out of the package and it seems to be centered. Quality control problem? Your temp readings are what I am getting too and yes the tell tale is most likely plugging up with scale. I had a wire in the boat with me and when I noticed the lack of flow I cleaned out the tell tale and it would pee fine. I'm too becoming an expert at putting the two tube water pump lower unit on! :S
Attachments:

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64151

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You don't have to take the pan of to remove the pickup tube. The tube has an o-ring on it where it slips into the pump. Grab it with a pair of pliers give it a twist and pull, it will come out. Replace the o-ring on reinstallation

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64163

Outstanding! That's gonna make things alot easier. Thanks.

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64227

• elgindave
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm lucky. My 1970 Bearcat has the single water tube.
I have a hard enough time with that and the drive shaft let alone another water tube!
Mine was wearing on one side. Maybe I got one of those out of round center impellers too! :(

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64231

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
elgindave wrote:

I'm lucky. My 1970 Bearcat has the single water tube.
I have a hard enough time with that and the drive shaft let alone another water tube!
Mine was wearing on one side. Maybe I got one of those out of round center impellers too! :(

My other two are the single tube, yes much easier. I can stab the driveline into the engine damn near first time in.

Check that impeller, see if the hole is centered and let me know.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64311

• elgindave
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Will do.
I'll compare it with your photos of your off center one. :angry:

A wire in the pee hole didn't unplug it.
I took my little air compresser and blew air back through it until bubbles came out the lower unit. The pee hole was clear and water is flowing nicely out of it now.
I hope to get some updated photos of the Bearcat in action on my pontoon soon B) .

Re:It's pumping!!!! 11 years 9 months ago #64348

4Stroke, thanks. I pulled on the p/u tube and it came right out. However, when I look at the motor, there's no way to mount it horizontal. I'll probably make a mount for it, but, verticle. It looks like those metal tabs that the engine mounts to the pan are not strong enough to hold the weight. My new camera came yesterday. I'll post photos.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6266 guests and no members online