Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines

Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61885

So after trolling C-list for an engine for my boat project, I came across an ad for a 1964 Homelite 55. I was intrigued so of course Googled it and found a good bit of info. Now I am even more interested. I am a car guy at heart and this to me is the best of both worlds.

The one I found on C-list is listed for $500 including controls. Is this a fair price, assuming it is in running condition? What problems, if any, are inherent to these motors and what should I look for during an inspection? And is the normal wear and tear parts readily available?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. After watching the videos here and on Youtube, I really like the way these motors sound and perform. And the gas sipping thing is pretty cool too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61902

All I can tell you about mine is I love it as you can see from my posts. There are 2 guys that sell the motors and parts on here. And sense its a car motor its easy to work on. By the time you get back to reading your post there should be a lot of info on here for you.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61906

I'm not an expert on Bearcats or Homelites. If you look at my thread, "New to Glassics", I've taken my Homelite completely apart and I mean every nut and bolt. It's a complete restoration. Yes, it's worth it. On an average, the outboard is worth about $700 plus or minus and the controls are worth about $200. I paid $400 for mine and 50 bucks for the original controls, I got lucky.
They are alot of fun to work on, and plenty of good people on this forum to help you with whatever issue comes up. If you do decide to buy one, don't forget to purchase the manual and parts list. $500 sounds like a fair deal, if it runs.

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61915

I currently have 3 of them. Just running a single 55 on my 19' express cruiser and it does quite well. It burns less than 1/4 the fuel that my old Johnson did, it's far quieter, plus there's no smoke and stink. There isn't a whole lot in common with say a 350 chevy but they are quite easy to work on and parts are available. I will never go back to a 2-stroke again.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61931

I just took mine off a Skagit and moved it to a 17 Uniflite..
I would not sell it. I will just keep using it as it runs great and just sips fuel..
Some parts can be had at NAPA and there are several suppliers.
Attachments:

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61950

Thanks for all the input. The other thing I really like is the simplicity of the motor itself. Being a super noob to boating, when I see pics of boat motors with the cover(hood) off, I have a hard time distinguishing what things are. Not so with the Homelite. I REALLY want this motor! Now to start selling stuff!:laugh:

Re:Need Information and opinions on Homelite engines 11 years 10 months ago #61975

Hey Plush what year is your Uniflite? I have a '61 19' Express.
Attachments:

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt