Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod?

Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88367

I am bring back with my buds at ACBS a G-3 center deck outboard powered boat. I am also getting advice and support from this board.

Here is one question.

Can I use bucket seats instead of a single bench seat? The bench seat is "as made" for this year and model boat.

Different (later) models of this boat came with back to back or flip seating, but not this model as it has a fixed fiberglass center deck that divides the cockpit into two sections. Thus it is a double cockpit boat, not a utility (or open cockpit boat).

This boat came without any seating, gauges, windshield, interior trim, steering, etc.

Parts can drive up costs and take extra time to get this G-3 back in the water.

So, chris (seabuddy) brown is asking for your thoughts here.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88368

another photo.
Attachments:

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88369

And another.
Attachments:

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88370

By the way, it is raining right now, so we only have gotten the worst of the ice, snow, leaves, and dirt out of this boat.

This stuff of playing with classic boats goes much easier in dry/warm weather.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88372

This one has more photos, so delete the other similar post. Opps on my part.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88373

Chris:

Personally,..I wouldn't put single seats in a center deck G-3, but it is your boat and you need to do what you want with it. I think I told you that several other G-3 owners gave me erroneous/wrong advice when we were refurbishing our 1960 G-3.

As far as the stock seats, between Al Wilson, Mike D., Dean and myself, we can get you the exact dimensions of seat bottom and seat back for your G-3. They are not hard to cut out from a regular sheet of plywood and you can then cover them yourself or have an upholstery shop do it for you. I had already told you that I would be glad to GIVE you the older "Airguide" Gauges (Speedo, Tach) that came in our Seafair Sedan and between Al and all of us we should be able to come up with some of the associated hardware (ie: aluminum grab bars). As far as the windshield, they are no longer around although there are a couple of companies that make "replicas" for around $400.00. Dean just went through that with his G-3 this past year and can fill you in on that. Initially, I wouldn't worry too much about a windshield as most G-3's don't have them anyway. That is something you can always do later.

Right now, I would concentrate on getting the boat structurally repaired and take care of the transom, stringers, floor etc.
Although I have not seen your G-3 in person, I think much of that dirt and discoloration on the white gelcoat can be taken care of with a thorough washing and then rubbing or polishing with a product called "3M Restorer and Wax." We used that product on our G-3 and it worked great.

Call me anytime if you want to discuss any of this further Chris!
All of us here will help you in anyway we can, I think you know that!

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88380

I know you just tilted me towards the bench rather than the buckets.

BTW, while all the fiberglass is very straight on my G-3, it is crazed everywhere.

I will need to use some filler at least on the deck to make for a nicely finished boat.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88384

seabuddy wrote:

I know you just tilted me towards the bench rather than the buckets.

BTW, while all the fiberglass is very straight on my G-3, it is crazed everywhere.

I will need to use some filler at least on the deck to make for a nicely finished boat.

Chris:

Don't be too dismayed by the small grazing cracks on the G-3's gelcoat. Eventually, all of them do that in some areas. I think I showed you on our G-3 along the top of our center deck where we have a few of them too. In my opinion, the more they sit in the weather the worse the cracks can be. But all of that can be fixed.

As I said above, at this point I would concentrate on the transom, the stringers and floor and once you get that all taken care of you can address the white deck and hull gelcoat. Take it one step at a time so you don't get "overwhelmed" by the project.
I know that Mike D. restored his G-3 in that manner and he has a real nice boat now!

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88385

Hey. I am 14 again. No worries about doing the boat.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88398

Chris,

Please don't be offended. The boat you acquired has been completely stripped of all parts. It is going to be extremely hard for you to find them by themselves. You need to find a parts boat. It's actually not that impossible. If you are having a good time dreaming about the good old days and want nothing more than to work on this hull, then you will be happy. When I found my restoration G3, it had all the parts intact, except the seats. I made the seat according to the drawings provided by the G3 association folks. The crazing is in fact going to be something that you will need to decide if you want as part of the character or not. So If you keep an open attitude and follow good people like John P and Al W, I am sure you will reach your goal.

In other words...keep the bench seat design as intended by Bill Tritt!

Also, watch out for the cool aid, and the horse teeth! They are watching you.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88399

Im not to sure you could get in-out of a bucket seat in a centerdeck. well I guess if you where 14.......

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88403

I weight double what I weighted at age 14 or more! I think you raise a good point!

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88411

seabuddy wrote:

I weight double what I weighted at age 14 or more! I think you raise a good point!

Chris:

Jeff brings up a good point about the bench vs single seat in a center deck G-3. I also recall that you had a little trouble getting in my G-3 but once behind the wheel you seemed alright.

Here is a photo of you behind the wheel of our G-3 at our Falls Lake Event last summer:
Attachments:

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88413

Glad you put up the photo. Let's the board know what the issue is.

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88503

to get some much needed extra room ,I bolted the helm on the back side insted of the front and used an almost flat s/wheel
Attachments:

Re:Is using buckets no bench make it a restomod? 10 years 2 months ago #88526

THAT DOES GIVE MORE ROOM.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)