Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water hazards

Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48436

This little piece of seemingly innocent EVIL is one of the many very serious things that can totally ruin a boater's day.
I would have never seen it if there had been even the slightest chop or wave action, and I skimmed by it twice at well over 60 MPG.
Because the lake was like glass I saw what I believed to be a small fish surface feeding, but when that fish was still surface feeding on the next wide open pass about 6 feet off to starboard, I slowed, turned back, and took a second look.
This is what I found.
Floating just under the surface of the water, with bits of the edge breaking the surface as it barely bobbed around, was this (3-4?) gallon plastic bucket.
It has a LOT of algea growing all over it - making it very obvious it had been out there for quite a long time.
If you haven't ever experienced striking such an object you probably won't believe the damage it can cause.
It is like striking a block of concrete and will at a minimum bend your prop, more likely it will bend or break your prop shaft, and in a boat like we play in,...It could very easily cause a total boating disaster.
Flipping, drowning, maiming, or completely ruining your boating day and all around future.
It made me shutter when I saw what it was.
I hit a clorox bottle once years ago. Long story with lots of damages.
What other hazards, strikes, near misses have you guys experienced?
Thom
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48439

we have logs and cotton wood trees that go down the Columbia river, cotton wood can float just under the surface I hit one at 30mph
It tore the engine off the transom rotating completely around into the passenger seat beside me, prop facing me & still running :ohmy: I was holding the motor away from my leg with my left arm while my right arm fished for the engine kill cord & my dog was on my lap

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48443

I hit a 55-gallon plastic barrell floating just under the surface last year in the Suwannee River. Kicked the merc 650 over in the splash well!!! I saw it go under the bow, too late to turn the wheel!! People all up and down the river use these barrels under their floating docks. Apprently this one had broken loose and filled with water, but still floating just under the surface.

Jim Savage

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48523

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Thom, did Ted tell you about his Searay when you were working his Dorsett? He just put a new motor in. Went out in the Sound here. Slight chop, slammed a unseen "floater", massive log, at 60. Slammed him into the dash good, and I saw it (boat) getting towed back. At the launch, the outdrive was hanging on by only one trim ram. Lucky he didn't sink it. I hit something in my 20 footer one time too. Severe bent prop, but shaft was OK. But coming back that OB was REALLY doing vibrating and wiggling!

Sometimes we get lucky.

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48568

Here is what a deadhead can do to an inline-6 @55mph on a high performance hull.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48665

After growing up on the Willamette River one learns to watch out for and dodge "Stuff" or @##%$$. We had to contend with pond lilies 5' in diameter and other stuff. Water comes up and lots of debries in the water. Water goes down and get clear water. Yes, you must watch closly on the water.

I must admit that I know the lower Willamette (Portland to Oregon city) fairly well. I learned it by braile over the years. Skegs and props.

I find that sometimes people are afraid to take a boat out because they fear hitting something or other wise damaging the boat. Anytime you take a boat, car, airplane out, there is a chance of something getting broken. You have to do your best!!! and take the chance or else never leave the house!!!

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48666

Every lake has its hazards, for us...its ice fishing huts. The bay is shallow and freezes over in January and the big jumbo perch come in under the ice to feed. To celebrate this event every Tom Dick and Harry builds (an ice hut). Everything from packing crates to pallets gets used, a wood stove goes in and the boys sit out there and fish. They are supposed to remove the huts by march 15, but sometimes mother nature starts the boating season early...with a thaw. Those huts sink to the bottom where the roof sits 2 feet under the water. Usually by June or July someone has towed them away or they have broken up and washed ashore.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Water hazards 12 years 5 months ago #48678

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice feedback on this thread guys..never really think much about all this while out the Lake we go to on Vacation, but one reaon I like not going to the river.

thnkx again!

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re: Water hazards ... in Florida 12 years 5 months ago #48682

At the G3 Rally in 2009 we were given numerous warnings about alligators in the lake, by email before and signs when we arrived.

This was later proven to be correct, as one found its way out of the water into Jim's G3 :
Attachments:

Re: Water hazards ... in Florida 12 years 5 months ago #48686

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering where Jim's pet was :laugh:

So, most of you are experienced with Hitting debris :blush: So, we've all seen outboards hit ramps and the like in movies and the outboard was designed to kick up but? Whats considered a relatively safe speed to hit a log and just have a bent prop if that. If I'm in a questionable area where items could be expected to be hit I'd like to know if my speed should be limited to??? If 55 will damage a lower beyond repair could 25-30mph be the red line speed..... :( I heard there's lots of junk out near Catalina Island where the currents carry the stuff into one area?

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024