Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND

A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45276

The Florida Glasspar club will be having a gathering this weekend. At least 8 or 9 G3's are expected at this event as well as a bunch of other Glasspar boats. For all those that will be attending this event have a wonderful weekend and please share lots of pictures with us. Brian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45300

I sure wish I would have sold my first born son and gone to the International Rally - It sure was great to see all those pictures and Jeff's videos that he posted yesterday of the G3s.
I hope everyone that can make it goes to your Florida Gathering this weekend.
My wife and I met some wonderful folks on my visit to Florida this summer and look forward to returning someday to meet everyone that we can.
We are having a classic boat gathering - not limited to Glasspars - tomorrow up in the Great PNW (pacific north west) at Mason Lake, in rural Mason County, WA. 98546
It is a good sized lake and was a great gathering last year.
Here are a few pictures from last year's gathering.
It was a beautiful day and lots of great people attended.
There were (2) G3s, California Girl & Wild Thanggg.
Wild Thanggg was 'Mild Thanggg' for the day as I was running my fully restored 800FGS rather than the Phantom Black Hot-Rod.
Howeard Haynes and his wife, Judi, are coming up for this weekend and Dean Lofall is going to try and make it with The Bandit if you can juggle his other commitments enough.
We are also scheduled for a G3 gathering in October that - weather permitting - will bring out more of the PNW G3s. That will be at Lake Spencer in rural Mason County, WA. 98584
I'll snag lots of pictures if I'm physically able to go out in a boat - otherwise my wifey-pooh will snap the pictures.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45371

Nice pics Thom

I'm sure Nut went heaving over the toilet when he saw the pic of 4 g-3s and all had Merc Power!!!!! Yea, Go Mercs!!

Here is a pic of MY NEW 1969 MERC POWER that I traded my "wimpy" Merc 650 for!!!

See pics!!
This old man just finally got what I always wanted--A Merc 1000, and this one is mint!!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45375

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
cats out of the bag now Jim!!! Nice Merc 1K! Go get em and have a blast.
Jim

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45379

Jim that thing just towers over the boat! I bet the faces of the Florida G3 team OMC turned as white as their motors... Heh. Beautiful looking beast. :woohoo: Go get 'em :ohmy: :cheer:

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45383

Thanks fellows,

Didn't get to take it to the event. We are both home not feeling well I will get the OMC guys later I hope!! Wanna hear them call this engine "wimpy" after I put my FrankenMerc country boy set up on it!!!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45399

Now that the cat is outta the bag....
It would appear ole Jim has slipped further into the depths of the Dark Side!
And just when I had got a line on a 75HP STINGER
Is it to late for Salvation....
???
Perhaps only The Skywalker knows for sure.

Jim
sorry to hear your feeling poorly
Have you water tested her yet?
Can't wait to hear the report.

Speakin of bags, where is that pillow case?

Also, the line on the 75 Stinger is real
If anyone is interested, let me know.
I've yet to see the motor,
supposedly it is a extremely clean 77
can be had for 8 bills or a trade for a newer, well kept 40 hp.

Back to the thread at hand
Sounds like good times to be had by many
I'm with ya in spirit
and
feeling extremely fortunate was able to participate at the "once in a lifetime event.'

regards
lar

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45401

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thats a beaut jim, Glad to see you didn't go over the fence :laugh: Get better and enjoy...can't wait for your speeding stunt pic's with the Mighty Stack-6/1000 :)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45405

Is everyone still wondering why I beefed up the transom???ha!ha!

Lar, 8 bills is a lot to pay for an anchor!!!!

Good to hear from you Lar. Your private room and bath is still available here in N. Florida too!! Oh, I decided against the pillow case deal, it would have not looked good all windblown and wrinkled!!!

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45440

Great looking motor Jim! ;) It sure looks good on the back of your G-3. Bill and his crew sure did a great job. Your buddy Clinton better look out now!

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Jim.

Take care of yourself.

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45484

A quick report from the Florida Glasspar Club's get together this week-end.
A GOOD time was had by all and any Mercury fan who was not there MISSED
the chance of a life time. No Mercury's broke down. Patrick's G-3 and his 125hp
Mercury ran all week-end. My "wimpy" OMC broke down and a four cycle
Yahama broke down. You have to take my word for it as NO pictures were taken
of this once in a life time event. A lot of pictures were taken of the boating but none
of my break down. (That I know of.) My break down was a simple coil failure which is now replaced.
It's nice to have a motor that is easy to fix.

Pictures will follow after I get them down loaded from my camera.

Jim

Can't wait to see your G-3 run with your new motor. Keep the wet side down.

John

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45512

Thanks John. Sorry you broke down. It happens to all of them sooner or later. Post pics on our board too please!! Hope ya got one of Dons yellow Lido running!! I have watched his restoration since day one. He lives 8 miles from me. Next door to Bill.

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45514

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jim, is that the same prop you bought a few months ago, looks new. What size and pitch and all that, cupped? Or is this all secret skunkworks :)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45577

Now that the cat is out of the bag,...Can I get a friendly confession out of anyone that thought it was possibly an Opti-Max being hung on Jim's G3???
I guess it probably wouldn't work for me to act shocked over this Dark Side Disclosure.
Muu-Wah-Haa-Haa!!!
It looks super Jim!
Great job Short-Shaft!!!
I sure wish I could be there for the first ride.
Be careful Jim - This is REAL horse-power now and your eyes are gonna get as big as silver dollars and your adrenaline level is gonna go through the roof when you stick the throttle on this monster!!!

Lar,
I might be interested in the lil Stinger.
I'm having a Dark Side BBQ soon and it would be perfect for the closing ritual's sacrifice over the bon fire!!!
Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!!!
Thom
Attachments:

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45636

Thanks Thom,

Due to health and economical circumstances, I did not go to the meet and run the OMC's outa the water!! But, their time is coming!!

And, I will be careful Thom, as usual ha!ha! I will just go looking for the biggest ski boat wake in the lake to jump!!!! Used to jump them with an 8-ft Hydro, at 50+ mph!!! I love it!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45924

Well,...Unlike you, My Mercury Brother,...I didn't stay home and I flew the flag high for the Dark Side this weekend at our local gathering.
We had sunshine, great food, great people, & LOTS of very cool boats at our event.
Thom

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45933

Thom

You Ole "Dr.Frankenmerc" have you got a modified bottom on your G-3?
The first picture of you planning off your G-3 sure looks like it.
Is it so?

I'm not sure Ole "Glassparnut" has as many secrets as you. When it comes to "Spy vs. Spy"
you seem to have the edge. Any pictures of your bottom as you modified it?

John

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45969

Good eye John!
I'm surprised someone hasn't pointed that out before as the little 'strakes' were visible several times in Dean's video.
I knew this latest 'Blast-Off' would let the cat out of the bag.
My bottom was lumpy and in real bad condition due to some delamination of the hull's bottom glass about half way between the keel area and the outer edge of the bottom. I had patched it so I could finish the season last year and once winter arrived got busy.
It was a real mess and I almost abandoned the hull.
So-o-o,...Since it was upside-down anyway,...I got a wee bit carried away & added a pad and two strakes.
The idea behind the strakes was to trap more of the water that wants to shoot sideways and escape as is seen in some of my eariler G3 pictures at speed.
By trapping water between the edges of the pad and the strakes I was hoping to obtain more stability and some lift.
The results were that the strakes are too far out to stabilize it at speed as they are out of the water, but they really make cutting around a corner much better - zero slide.
I think that if I moved the strakes about 6" closer to the pad and make the inside vertical edge at a 90 degree angle to the horizon - rather than how the existing ones were made with both vertical edges angled in at the top like a triangle - the idea might just work.
But for now,...Even though there are a lot of other guys hitting 62 MPH with smaller Mercs, I'm going to leave the hull as is and focus on the after-planes (trim tabs) to stabilize the hull at the mid-range speeds where it wants to romp wildly unless the trim tabs are held down about a 1/2".
At wide open I just release the trim tabs completely and they stop against the base of the rams with the aft end of the trim tabs about 5/16" up from a straight edge held fore and aft up against the bottom of the hull.
This position allows the prop to lift the nose and carry the hull with ease.
The trim tabs are about 12.25" long and 7.75" deep and use a manually operated hydraulic pump original used like Ponyboy's Merc trim on Reggie. The trim tabs were originally about 30" long and 12" deep and came of a big old cabin cruiser hull in the back end of a salvage yard. I don't know what form of pump was originally with these trim tabs and these same rams, but the DOLE hydraulic pump like Ponyboy's works just fine with these other rams. I had to add a pair of shut-off valves to isolate the port ram from the starboard ram so I could move each trim tab separately.
Anyway,..Blah-blah-blah,...This last weekend, with the trim tabs moved closer to the pad area - Wild Thanggg remained very stable at wide open throttle and it was a very cool ride with the beast stabilized.
My next project will be a dual cockpit G3 with top secret power that is Neutral to both Merc & OMC, and will be called 'Mild Thanggg' because I'm not anticipating it be go much over 40 MPH.
Primarily because I was unable to move for almost (2) days after turning Wild Thanggg loose for so many blasts down the lake at the gathering. My old carcass got pretty well thrashed.
Stay tuned for more later this winter.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45985

That was the "magic" prop for the Merc 650, 17" cupped.

Not enough pitch for the Merc 1000

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #45997

Jimmy you need somthing in the 21-23p area maybe even a good cupped 19, you can add more pitch with a smaller diamater. By the way, I have the same merc 1000 in my shop waiting for a ride to show up. in fact I may put it on Ugly Peg next year, its a long shaft today but I do have a short mid waiting to be built.......this sat Im going to Top Sail Island NC and visit my new grandson, hes a wopping 2 weeks old already!.....wonder if I can teach him to make boat motor noises....lol

Doc....not merc or OMC? only a few left in the outboard camp. are you starting to go Mc?

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #46026

No Mac Attack here Jeff.
This crazy notion is WAY outside the box.
I don't want to say too much yet.
I'll probably get laughed off the planet when I disclose my scheme someday, but not today.
I've already bumped into an engineering 'stone wall' that I haven't figured out and it may foil the Mad Doctor's bizarre scheme before it even gets to the drawing board. grumble-grumble-grumble.
If that's the case,...I'll disclose the power source and see if maybe someone can explain a way around the stone wall.

side note: Was it only the '59-'60 G-3 that originally came with the gold colored 'Glasspar' logo decals on the sponsons?
:unsure:
Thom

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #46038

I have been one of the few that has always insisted that there are 1959 G3's.
Remember that someone here insisted that the G3 was introduced in 1960 so
only 1960 G3s and beyond exist. The 1959 Glasspar price sheet that has been
found kind of proves the 1959 G3 are indeed the first year of the G3.

It is my opinion that the '59 model had the decal on the sponson. The 1960
model had the plastic Glasspar name on the center deck support. The 1961 had the
plastic Glasspar name and the foot rest up front. That's how I remember it.

Maybe some early 1960 models had the decal on the sponson to use them up.

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #46044

Everything John says here is correct. I have brochures and price sheets for the 1959 G-3. It is the only model to have the name on the sponsons.

Jim Savage

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #46046

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

No Mac Attack here Jeff.
This crazy notion is WAY outside the box.
I don't want to say too much yet.
I'll probably get laughed off the planet when I disclose my scheme someday, but not today.
I've already bumped into an engineering 'stone wall' that I haven't figured out and it may foil the Mad Doctor's bizarre scheme before it even gets to the drawing board. grumble-grumble-grumble.
If that's the case,...I'll disclose the power source and see if maybe someone can explain a way around the stone wall.

Thom

Were I to guess, and it is.... only a guess,
I'd say the good ole Dr. is contemplating Jet Power.
The notion fits nicely into the confines of "engineering stone wall."
There are many variables, and potential difficulties, to contemplate.

That said, there won't be no laughing at the concept,
least not from me.
Personally, I'd like to see someone like the Dr., tackle the project.

My suspicion is, he would document the process well,
and point the way for others who have toyed with the idea.

hopefully, I've only said enough, to leave all cats in the bag....

lar

Re:A GATHERING OF G3'S THIS WEEKEND 12 years 6 months ago #46110

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
John C. : This pic is almost two weeks ago here in Chattanooga, Tn.
Pat H had gotten this 59 from Original Owner out of Barn here.(Sponson DECAL) .
Also was given the Dated Orig Bill of sale on Boat & Tee-Nee trl , which in 59 was not cheap .!APRIL 59 Boat $836.60 ,,, Trailer $224 .
Boat has Nashville build plate... The 1961 on the right is Richard w. Two owner boat , orig out of Mn , with a Nashville build tag.. No motors on each & still short transoms... Chattanooga chapter is always recuiting new members, or collectors relocating / retiring to area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7112 guests and no members online