Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oil Ratio

Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41585

I need a bit of advice from everyone on this one... with my '62 Lark IV Evinrude i can't decide what ratio to use. It says on the motor that it is 24:1 and that is what I've been running it at. From other forums I'm told that with modern oil, i can run it at 50:1. Which in my case means my boat planes out MUCH quicker and i spend less money on oil. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41587

I would stay with the 24:1 ratio myself. Just my honest opinion.

I ran a '61 v-4 Johnson wide open and raced it for 14 years and always mixed it 24-1! During that time, the 50-1 mix came on the market, but I never switched. I was afraid of it!

I used a "poor mans mix" back then too---a quart of cheap 30W motor oil to 6 gallons of gasoline! That motor never skipped a beat or lost compression or anything all those years of use and abuse.

Jim Savage

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41589

that settles that!!!!!!! thanks..
still... any ideas about planing out? i don't think hydraulics are necessary for this motor

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41590

On all the older motors most are 24to1 And even with the new oil I would not go any lighter. Its better to see some smoke then smoke your motor.
As far as planing make sure you camation plate is even with the keel on your boat and move the motor out to the second hole or even the last hole out. If it camaates at the last hole out bring it in one hole.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41593

What you would have to do is look it up in the parts book to see if there is a difference in bearings / parts between a 62 and a 64 model of your motor.
carnation or cavitation what is carnation on a motor ??

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41616

• nj666
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Back in the 60's my dad had a '61 Lark III, 40 hp. We got some extra power and speed by opening the cover door to allow unrestricted air flow to the carbs. A little noisier, but it was about those extra MPH's.
Bruce

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41640

Most of the older motor had bushing and needed extra oil. On the newer motor with roller bearing you can run a higher mix. I still like to run a little more oil then burn up my motor Its cheeper then a rebild.
Cavation is when your prop starts sucking air. The motor will rev up fast. Sometimes when the motor is set just right it will do this ona a hard trun.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Oil Ratio 12 years 8 months ago #41647

I have had many of these motors and I ran them at 40:1 with no issues, I had a freind back in the day that would remove the lower piston ring(it has 3) remove the plastic carb cover(if it has one) and I still have 2 preformance props,one nice 2 blade mich wheel 16p and another OJ 3 blade that just looks as cool as it is fast. Ill look for some pics,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7337 guests and no members online