Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: G3 transom replacement

G3 transom replacement 4 years 6 months ago #141036

Looking for advice on replacing a transom on a G3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

G3 transom replacement 4 years 6 months ago #141037

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'm sure by now you have searched the web. If not here's one link that might give you a few ideas. Don't know how extensive you want to get into the project. Plenty of info on the site about transom replacements from full restore to pour an go.
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=glasspar+g3&&view=detail&mid=DC9A276E3166249F6FFDDC9A276E3166249F6FFD&&FORM=VDRVRV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bingo55

G3 transom replacement 4 years 6 months ago #141043

Thanks so much!

G3 transom replacement 4 years 6 months ago #141060

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
It seems I was remembering seeing someone do that curved transom by installing one plywood thickness at a time so that when a second layer was laminated in place, they were able to clamp it into the curve and repeated until they achieved their proper thickness rather than trying to jig all layers at one time on a bench and hoping it would match. Maybe someone knows where that video is. And as said before, there is the poured sea cast... maybe even laminating with the Coosa board, but I have never done a G3 curved transom. I also have not tried the last 2 methods, but have watched several of the instructional videos. Good luck... always loved the look of the G3.

Dr.Go!

G3 transom replacement 4 years 5 months ago #141089

Thanks Doc. I'm thinking of going with Coosa board and laminating as you suggest in the boat to obtain the correct curvature. I'm waiting for a quote for Coosa which I think is the best choice as there's no other wood in the hull and it's lighter as well. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again, BobE.

G3 transom replacement 4 years 5 months ago #141103

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I saw some simple strength testing done on the boatworkstoday.com website where Andy showed how much stronger the Coosa board got with laminating glass on both sides. He compared 3 pieces where one had nothing extra added, then 2 different laminate layer numbers. Though his was just a down and dirty simple test, it opened my eyes. I have watched many other videos on that Coosa board so that I could get a better feel for how to use it. That video was done fairly recently, so maybe looking for his video with give you your own ideas.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat