Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom jack/jack plate

Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 6 months ago #127013

I would appreciate some input on a good transom jack setup for my '60 center deck. My current set up is a '61 75HP short shaft. I have an issue with the engine and am having trouble justifying putting a lot of money into the repair, especially because I will have to do it myself and I don't have some of the necessary equipment. I'm also tired of having the boat sit because having to make frequent engine repairs/tweaks. All newer engines in this HP range seem to be 20 inch shafts but I can't face the prospect of removing the deck and rebuilding the transom a second time. So, a transom jack seems to be the way to go. Recommendations as to brand and options will be much appreciated. Since my only problem is getting 5 inches of height, having a hydraulic lift doesn't seem to be a necessity to me.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 6 months ago #127020

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
CMC has been around for many years. High quality solid construction. Using a manual adjustable plate gives you a bit of wiggle room if you need it. Five inch setback recommended. www.cmcmarineproducts.com/products/Outboard-Jack-Plates/Manual-Jack-Plates/CMC-Manual-Jack-Plates

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #127510

Doug:

I faced almost the EXACT dilemma you are now in with our "one-family" owned 1960 G-3 back in 2009. Like you, our 1964 Mercury 65 HP Outboard was shot and I did not want to "raise the transom" as I don't like the way they look when that is done. I also wanted a new/or newer outboard that would be reliable for me and my family.
I ended up buying a NOS 2009 Mercury 50 H.P. Outboard from "Bass Pro Shops." They were closing out ALL carbureted outboards due to EPA emission regs and I got a VERY good deal on a new motor. At the time, as you said, all the newer outboards had the 20" lower units.
So,...I talked with several other G-3 owners and learned that "Bob's Machine" down in Florida made a very nice hydraulic jackplate for our boats with only a 3 7/8" setback!! I was told by a few members here and on other websites that a jackplate like this would NOT work on a G-3! That was absolutely FALSE Doug!! The "Bob's Machine" jackplate we installed has worked GREAT and I like being able to raise or lower the engine with the touch of a button! :)

I am including some pictures of our set-up so you can see how it looks on our 1960 G-3 with the original transom:
Attachments:

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #127511

Doug:

Here is the link to "Bobs Machine" Website:

www.bobsmachine.com/4-light-Setback-Versa-Series-Jack-Plate-115-HP-max-100-504000.htm?categoryId=-1

Also, another picture of our set-up:

Attachments:

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #127512

Doug:

I like the "minimum setback" on the "Bob's Machine" Jackplates. Also, I wanted to tell you that their company is GREAT to deal with!
Excellent customer service and very friendly if you call them for anything.

I hope my posts have helped you some Sir!

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128030

Thanks all for the input. It's just what I hoped for and needed. 1960RedG-3, your boat is identical to mine except I had to replace the original rub rail. I've not been able to find the deal you received from Bass Pro Shops and am thinking I will go with one of the OMC/BRP two strokers. There is a website called oceanoutboardsmarine.com that lists them for about half of what they sell for at retail. Only problem is they are based in Jakarta, Indonesia! I'm trying to learn if they are reputable because shipping one to my zipcode only adds about $500 to the total. Thus far, they haven't responded to my email inquiry. But, I stay hopeful.

Doug

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128277

Doug:

Sorry for the delay in making a quicker reply back to you. :(

You are very welcome on the info for the jackplates! I know how confusing it can be after going through the decision on our G-3.

I wanted to let you know that on your search for a NOS outboard, don't rule out the "Tohatsu Outboard Motors." I don't know if you know this or not, but you can get a 50 H.P. "Tohatsu" with a 15" lower unit! A friend of ours put one on his 1960 G-3 and it pushes his G-3 in the high 40's! I had some websites on them, so let me see if I can find that and post them here for you.

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128278

Doug:

Here is the specs on the that "Tohatsu" Outboard:

tohatsu.com/outboards/50tldi_spec.html

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128282

Thanks for the Tohatsu suggestion, Red. I checked out the spec sheet you sent and am definitely interested. Here in Michigan, we don't see many Tohatsus other than small displacement race engines. And, in that segment, it totally dominates the field. I'm going to check out the dealer network and see where it takes me. Again, big thanks!

Doug

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128290

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
stores.ebay.com/OutboardRebuilder?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I ran across this when considering an outboard replacement. They sure look good and professional. Maybe it is possible they have something that could meet your needs....or maybe they can find what you need. When my old motor goes, I may consider this for one of my boats. I like the options others have given. I just did not want hold back on this discovery in case it could help you or others on this site. I also have always like the Bob's line of Jack Plates and will consider them for me as well (I have a bigger 20' boat, so I can benefit from a little more setback). I sure like that short setback for shorter boats for sure.
Mark

Dr.Go!

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128291

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Also forgot to mention that there are a few experts on here that can put together a "like new" vintage motor of your liking that will be dependable if you want to stick with something vintage to the boat's age. You would have to find and discuss what that may cost compared to a newer motor. Other people look at a well maintained older engine as somewhat a "disposable" price motor. Find a good priced motor of choice that you know has been taken care of, when it brakes, they sell as a parts motor and go buy the next. People come at this from all angles. I am NO experts, so please do not base any decisions from my thoughts...I just offer these ideas so you can seek more professional advice from the experts on this site. Good luck whichever way you go - nice boat!

Dr.Go!

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128302

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. wrote:

Thanks for the Tohatsu suggestion, Red. I checked out the spec sheet you sent and am definitely interested. Here in Michigan, we don't see many Tohatsus other than small displacement race engines. And, in that segment, it totally dominates the field. I'm going to check out the dealer network and see where it takes me. Again, big thanks!

Doug

Doug:

You are very welcome on the "Tohatsu" Outboards! ;)

I will keep an eye out here at our "Tohatsu" Outboard Dealers and let you know if any "year end" sales come up.

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128323

Doug:

Here is a photo for you of our friends in their 1960 G-3 with the new "Tohatsu" 50 H.P. Outboard on it. This was taken at a GTG this past year.

Attachments:

Re:Transom jack/jack plate 7 years 5 months ago #128330

Tohatsu is an excellent choice and to still have 15" legs available is sooo nice :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)