Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A forum for owners and fans of Chrysler and Force engines.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Force 120

Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #98840

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
New thread so I'll stop pirating Robby's thread. My factory Force manual came in today. All is better than I thought. Although no serial number tag on the motor, The overall setup is definitely 1992-95 Force, including the Merc type L/u. I was able to reference the code on the trim/tilt cylinder, it's a 1994. The switchbox with screw-on connections and dark blue coils indicate a Thunderbolt ignition on a 1992-95 model So, I think the original titled motor number is the right one even though the sticker is gone. Not that it needs work at this time, it runs great.

Of course I ordered a few things like a new bimini, fuel line assembly and new plugs, mostly because I had too much money in my bank account.

Doin' the happy dance now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #98857

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Money in the bank is no fun..SPEND IT!

Did ya see if its a 20 or 25 inch transom? Curious, as mine's 25.

What plugs ya running? I REALLY prefer NGK over Champs.

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #98860

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
20" transom. I bought Champions this time, L76V, partly because that's what was in there already and partly because I made the entire parts purchase through one online supplier, so I got free shipping. Probably buy a spare set and those will be NGKs.

I kinda live out in the sticks, no decent suppliers anywhere near here, so I purchase online a lot, whether it's car parts, boat stuff, tools, or whatever. I do try to support local businesses, but most of the locals here charge crazy high prices, and then want to order the stuff for me. Heck, I can do that! :)

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #98885

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I get a lot on line too. Its a 40 mile round trip to town, so sometimes cheaper to simple have it delivered.

On the Champs? Run same in my Merc, and seems yours is a lot of Merc anyway, good'nuff. My older Force seems to like NGK BUHX better. And there is a slight difference looking at both, surface gap wise. Stick with the Champs to be on the safe side. But Champ L76V to NGK is BUHW.

Had to look mine up. Guess my motor called for, or was in when I bought it used (5 years old) UL18V, cross to NGK BUHX.

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #98932

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I had to look my manual why Champ UL18V for my motor. In the specs.

But did some searching your 94 120. Interesting here, a reply found.

"there are two different versions of the 120 Force. One had the Chrysler Prestolite ignition, the other had Mercs Thunderbolt.

If you have the BLUE CDI boxes and coils then those came from the factory with Champion UL-18V

If it has the Merc ignition you should use NGK BUHW in place of the L76V champions which are not the best match for the Thunderbolt ignition"

So as its only a spark plug, probably means little here. Just passing it on...(but as me, if it aint broke?..don't fix it!)

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #99061

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Mine has the 4 dark blue spark coils. The switchbox is black, with the connectors using nuts to fasten all the wires, no push-ons.

Well, all my neat parts came in this week, so of course it's been rainy every day. Monsoon season in SW New Mexico. Today is looking good though. Think I'll spend some time on both boats. I'm slowly refinishing all the wood in the cabin and cockpit of my little Glasspar. Need to borrow a garage large enough to get the Glasspar indoors, too much weather around here for outdoor varnishing. Still stripping off the old finish at this point.

Re:Force 120 9 years 8 months ago #99069

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Messing with boats is as much fun as actually USING them! And I'm just as happy wrenching them, or my bikes, as using them. Bayliner running fine and in the slip. My Flatbottom still needs to get wet, but I hate putting the total crank up rebuild the Merc the "Doc" built for me, and stick it in salt water even if just a in and out. Just finished restoring a 8' Minimost on the front porch, and next in back is a 10' FG dingy I got free from a friend. Had a trailer for it that needed work, but its put on hold until next year. Got enough on the plate as it is. And I aint getting any younger either, but aint giving up yet!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7336 guests and 2 members online