Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44202

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Thanks Bob. The huge "I" beam in my garage which is under the house was a necessity. When I built in '93 I didn't want those pesky posts taking up room right down the center so we hauled three of the monsters from a recycle place. One down the center of the garage, one across the door the other where the basement separates from the garage. That way I could put big double doors from the garage to the basement. Where else can I put all my junk??
Next step is to clean up the inside of the shell and paint, then cover that with plastic sheeting and set the top on. I didn't like the way the Herters' seats were attached to the hull, kinda crude, trying to think of a better, cleaner way. As long as the plastic sheeting is in the hull when I paint the topside I won't get the inside messed up. Whoops, I really should put a transome drain in first so the scrubbing goop will drain out.
I could show you how I pulled my engine from the Sabre, that came out in pieces. I'll get the cd with pictures and post them in the woodie section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44207

Thanks Cal that would be great. Great way to set up the house I must say. I only wish I could have had a basement in this house along with having the shed, then I'd be set. Oh well, we work with what we have. The plastic lining the inside is a very good idea. Yep transom drain is a VERY good idea. :woohoo:

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44215

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Whats with that clean - organized shop ? Where do you hide all the tools :cheer: and the dust ??? We work with what we have - mine makes for a long winter ?? Boo Who at least the top is covered
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44239

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, here's the answers to some questions. First proof that I flipped a woodie alone. and second the dirty underbelly of my work area. Some places are hard to walk through. The garage part is where I do the pictures.

And now...the ugly side.
If you look close you can see the Merc Mark 58AE jammed under the workbench.

That's the tour. It's crowded.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44241

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, I'm posting the engine pull on the woodie site.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44243

hi cal,just ask bob how my little 14x24 garage looks right now,lol,he saw it ,pretty bad.
as for the steel beams we had to have 5 steel beams under our double wide,and it would have cost the same to get the exact length as to leave them 7 foot longer,so we left them long and built a deck,lol.
cal i bought these for my 59 flying fish,they are repops,but pretty cool,one is the glove box that when open works as a 3 space cupholder,and yep they were an option in 59.
the smaller one is a ciggerette box and lighter holder,also an option,at $3.85 installed,lol.i actually got them awhile ago but i was just able to come up for the money for them,now i can post them.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44245

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have the glove box cover but not the cig holder, I don't think it was ever on the boat. Smart move with the beams, think of the massive bbq you can put on the deck.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44327

Cal,
Ok, multiply your"clutter" by two or three and that's what my two car garage looks like. It's my woodworking shop AND have to park a car in it. As for John's garage, he's still in better shape than I am! :woohoo:

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44345

Talking about workshop garages. Mine is a mess!!
But I know just about where everything is 24x24.
No room for a car! :S

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44432

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Went to West Marine today and picked up a brass bilge drain tube, 1". I'll post some pics as I install it. Borrowed my full set of forstner bits to a friend so I'll have to use a spade bit to poke the hole.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44475

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I'll post some pics as I install it.

Please do Cal, I'm putting one in tomorrow morning in my GT150 project. I bought two tubes (in case I screwed one up putting it in, and I also plan on using one for the motorwell/splashwell drain) and the tool last week. Re-drilled the bilge drain hole last weekend, that was a little un-nerving! Last thing I need to do before the deck goes back on the hull... wooo-hooo!

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44510

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Don't know if I'll get to it soon, maybe in the next few days. Let me know how you did yours. The fella at West Marine said I should just stick it through the old hole. Not an intellegent answer in my book. Drilling a new hole through what you just repaird is a bit intimidating right? I'm going to drill a test hole in an old 2x4 to make sure I have a good tight fit. I picked up some 3m4200 quick set to seal it in. My thoughts were to drill the hole, test fit the tube, cut it about 1/4" longer than what I need, goop it up with the 4200, twist it in place and then flair the bitter end using the round of a ball peen hammer. I've never done this before but it really dosn't look too difficult.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44513

cal,you might want to use 5200 its pretty permanant, need to do the same on my boats,there is a drain tube install tool,that flairs the tube on the inside of the transom,i might have to get one,i tried the method of using a bolt with a nyloc nut backwards on a bolt but couldnt get the right fit.i used to have the tool in my favorites list,but when i got rid of dialup,my favorites list got lost,ill try to find it again,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44514

here is the link it was posted by "old boater",a little pricey for me,32 bucks for a bolt ,lol,lol but i have alot of tubes to replace starting with mom and eds sunray,john
store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/flanging-tool-for-drain-tube-1-123524-/4,6791.html

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44515

• MarkS
I'd offer to loan you mine John, but by the time we shipped it back and forth you could almost buy one! $25 at Wholesale Marine;
www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-520290-1/

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44551

• MarkS
I put the tube in tonight Cal, so the sealant could cure overnight before final "crank-down" tomorrow. I really want to get the deck back on mine this weekend, here's a link to the install;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/15-the-70s-disco-fiber/31614-new-project-71-glastron-gt-150.html#44550

(My work pales in comparison (quality) to what most of you guys are doing here, but remember it's my first major project and I'm learning as I go. :blush: )

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44574

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Mark, I see your posts. I also put mine in tonight. Didn't take many pics but here is what I have. I used the fast cure 4200. Black because it is also what I am going to use to marry my top to the bottom along with fasteners, couldn't see buying a whole tube of white for just a smidgeon. I cut the tube too long and didn't find the screw up until I already had it pushed in. Wound up making short splits on the inside end and then flaired it with the peening hamer end.

Hole drilled.

Coated the entire inside of the hole with 4200 using my fingers and the put a bead around the tube.

The expensive flairing tools

After the cut.

Finished.

Next is to start dressing up the inside of the hull.

Didn't want to use 5200 and wait 7 days for it to cure, I've had plenty of experiance with that stuff, used about two cases when I did the bottome of the Sabre.

Frost warning out for our area again so I'm doing more work with the garage doors closed.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44580

Nice job Cal, looks factory!

BOb

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44586

mark thanks for the link,alot cheaper and i can get the drain tubes there too.
cal beautiful job ,again !john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44604

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, John, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment but I will. :)
Seeing some stuff come out of the factory leaves a lot for improvement and I think everyone on this site makes their projects better than factory.
Thanks for the complements. Waiting to see how the pics of Mark's come out.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #44605

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, John, I don't know if I should take that as a compliment but I will. :)
Seeing some stuff come out of the factory leaves a lot for improvement and I think everyone on this site makes their projects better than factory.
Thanks for the complements. Waiting to see how the pics of Mark's come out.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45031

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad to see another Flying Fish jumping into the net. Past two days have been slow on the boat. wire brushed the inside of the hull today to rough it up for a paint job, scrubbed it down real good with Dawn, now it's drying out hoping I can shoot the paint tomorrow then I'll post the pics.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45054

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Painted the inside of the hull this morning before the wind picked up. Have to admit back in the 50's fiberglass laying was a by gosh - by golly experiment. With the dark paint on the inside all the glass cloth, hand layered drips, runs, hits and misses all show up big time. Had to come up with a way to camo the mess so I spatter painted over the dark base with the colors that are being used on the hull and topside. It sure fools the eye.

The inside was painted with some old acrylic enamel many years old, dark blue. I poured two or three times the amount of hardner in it that is called for so it should toughen up to stand some foot traffic.

This picture was taken inside so the blue looks almost black but you can see how the spatter paint of white and yellow trick the eye and you do not notice the glass layovers.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45060

Cal,
Great job. That's what I did with mine. The original was white with black spatters so I did the same thing. Wagemaker did basically the same thing with certain models f their boats. You can see the weave on mine but you have to get real close now since the spatter masks it.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45063

• MarkS
Pretty good thinking, and I like the effect guys. I noticed similar issues with what little interior I painted on mine. Still debating on carpet or not, but if painted wins out this is a great idea.

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45101

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark, I carpeted several boats, looked real nice when the carpeting was new but after a season of use it gets filled with sand, mud, maybe some oil/gas, pet hair, you name it and it never comes clean like you would want it. If you put carpet down I used regular contac cement, comes in gallon cans and spread it with a notched trowel and is permanent.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45126

• MarkS
Good to know Cal, thanks. ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45150

looking good cal,boy am i jelous,lol,i wish i were working on one of my boats,right now its a carosuel horse,and soffit ,facia and gutter,crap,lol.
i love this thread i know about what im getting into with my flying fish,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45163

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ya just had to say the dirty word "gutters". Leaves are beginning to fall around here, maples won't turn until the second or third week in Oct but the poples(?) and elms are dropping already.
You've been working on the horse for awhile now, how's the progress?

Worked on the seat brace setup today. Fabricated a new front brace since the old aluminum one was broken and the PO bolted some junk in there just to hold it up. I used 1" angle iron, welded together in a rectangle and bolted that to the bottom frame which bolts to the keel anchors. Pretty neat setup but I can see where it's prone to breaking in rough water. Last night I ripped some 2x4's in 1/2" width and attached them to the top ridge of the shell for more support, seemed pretty wobbly otherwise. Now I will have a wider bed to lay the 4200 on when I set down the top. Everything will be through bolted when the aluminum trim gets put on.

The revamped seat bracing and the upper shell stiffiners.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45291

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Major step done today. Put humpty dumpty back together. Again using the chainfall and a few straps. One problem I didn't figure on was the width of the new transom vs the aluminum plate that was in there. When I set the top back on I had to cut out about an inch of motor well to make up for the thickness of the transom. A little glasswork will fix the problem. All glued on with the 4200. Glad I put t he 1/2" wood backer strips on the shell because the two halves went out of shape while apart. After the top was in place I used drywall screws to pull the two back together into shape. Will leave those screws in until I put the trim back on with the through bolts.

Setting up for the lift.

Getting it balanced on center so it wouldn't tip to one side.

Raised position.

After the install.

From the stern, used the fin edges to make the final lineup even.

Where I had to cut out the motor well to make up for the heavier transom.

The piece that will be worked back into place.

Sheet plastic layed inside the shell before I lowered the top to keep the bottom clean when I paint the top.

The next few weeks will be fine tuning the topside, filling nooks, crannies, pit holes etc for paint, and of course the motorwell repair.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45299

• MarkS
Congrats Cal, that's a major milestone in my book! Nice to have it in one piece again, huh. :P

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45308

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Afternoon Cal,

You make this all look too easy. I admire your tenacity and the quality of your work. If the Redfish and either of my Hydrodynes come out half as good as your Herters is coming, I'll have an award winning craft.

Please keep up the good work and posting your progress. The inspiration keeps the rest of us going.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45346

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
With the colder weather starting to set in I would really like to get the topside painted soon. Can't do much the next few days, the schedule is loaded. Sunday I am going to Lake Geneva, WI little over a three hour drive to the boat auction. I'll take some pictures and put them on a different post so you guys can see what some of our babies are going for.
Here's a teaser.
www.mecum.com/auctions/consignment_list.cfm?AUCTION_ID=LG0911&consignDay=All&lottype=boat

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45441

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning Cal,

You are a cruel man!!! You know none of us has any willpower when it comes to old boats. I equate showing the Mecum auction brochure to taking a former junkie to a Grateful Dead concert.

Just kidding!!! What I wouldn't give to attend that auction, though. I watch their car auctions on TV. Will this one be show on TV? God, I hope so!

Just drove to the southern end of VA yesterday to pick up my latest acquisition - 1958 Redfish Shark Capri. She's rough but what a beauty in her own right. The fins, the lines, the total restoration yet to come this winter!!!

I'll be posting some pics here in the forum, maybe today.

Take care, stay safe.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45493

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
All I can say is WOW, That was a show. The largest one I have ever gone to.
I snapped about 30 pictures and a few videos that I put on youtube.
Here are three of the pics to tempt you. I'll start another thread and post some pics everyday cuz it takes awhile to resize these babies.

Here are the links to youtube for Tim's 1939 Century sedan, went to $80,000. but didn't meet his reserve so it didn't sell.
Another link went to my friend Larry's Delta, this 14 footer was pristine. He removed the reserve and it sold for $32,000.00.

A 1940 CC triple cockpit racing runabout had a solid bid of $250,000.00, a quater million bucks and the owner didn't sell. The buyer also has to pay a 10% fee on top of the purchase price.
The Herters that I was watching went for $14,000.00

The bar was set pretty high on the boats. With the economy the way it is well over 50% didn't meet reserve prices and were not sold.

One person got a steal on a 1956 CC continental 26' for $18,500.00

If you want to see all the pics let me know and I will start another thread.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45499

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Todd, Congrats on your new project, looking forward to seeing your Redfish, nothing like a good challange to keep you going. Don't forget the pictures.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45501

Cal,
Great tease let's see more!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 6 months ago #45769

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Did some fixin' on the motor well today. The part I had to cut out to make up for the heavier transom.

Dry fitted the cut out piece and marked it where it needed trimming.

Easy fast cut with a metal cutoff blade.

Used glass mat to install the piece.
The red color comes through from where I ground down to the old glass and gel.

This evening I did the sanding and cosmetic filling. I have to pick up some primer tomorrow and the install will be done then I have to drill the holes and put in two drain tubes.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #45913

Cal,
Looking great bud, can't wait to see her done. You do some fine work!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46478

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been a few day since I updated, really busy week. Started wetsanding the topside for the final coat and am finding lots of pinholes, more than I found the first time around. So.... the past few days I'm doing the tedius(?) job of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, on and on. Got the transom rebuild finished all except the motor well drains. Three different colors of primer on that baby now but getting close to the final goal. I envy you guys who just have to rough up a surface and squirt on a new coat of rustoleum.
Tried dry fitting the fin ends back on along with the transom caps that I took from my Dorset donar. The cap pieces will need some "custom" fitting but shouldn't take much to fit in.

1/3 of the bow actually finished (gray primer)

View from the starboard side after the wetsanding.

Dry fitted fin end and transom cap.

Inside of shortened motor well ready for gray primer.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage