Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A little help for a Span sea king

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1769

You won't need a botom paint if you're trailering the boat and not leaving it in the water all the time. You'll be fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1793

What a great thread! I have a 1960 Span America VIP, but haven't met anyone with knowledge or interest in the Span line.
I will keep an eye on the thread, as I have many questions.

Andreas, if Eric doesn't jump on the flag pole offer, let me know. I'm interested. I have the original light, with the cover, but I would like to get the proper flag pole that fits.

Eric, I would really like some help with windshield pictures and dimensions sometime, if you could. My boat came complete with most hardware, but no windshield. I think that I might have one of the original brackets, but I am not certain.

I have original sales brochures for the 1959 and 1960 lines. I tried to get them sent to this site, to post, but it seems only a couple of the pictures made it to the archives. I can make them available if anyone is interested in checking them out.

Mike

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1797

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sure, my windshield is in my basement right now. Just let me know what kind of measurements you need off of it, and I'll get them to you.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1798

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well Mike if you want to learn more about these boats and check out the only Span Boats website have a peek at this. I own 22 of the little beauties and there really cool boats and perform just great too. Here ya go. www.myspace.com/spanboats

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1799

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mike,
Eriks boat is smaller and has a different windshield than the VIP. Here is a pic of my 1960 VIP Hardtop, well with the top off that is. If you want diamemtions I can get them for you. I can't wait to see pics of yours too. These are really rare and there is only a hand full left in the world today. The VIPs were quite the boat in the day.
Attachments:

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1807

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hey do you know where I can get something similiar to the "Anti-Vibe" mat they used on the transom? Otherwise, I'll just have to get a plate of stainless or aluminum and just wing it. Also, did Span just use painted fiberglass as interiors? I was thinking of using a Rhino or bedliner inside and finding a good paint to paint it white. I'm open to ideas...

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1815

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Any marine store or dealer sells transum saver alumium plates for the motor mounting area. Span didn't put them on at the factory. As for the interiors they are painted. That would be a approved area to use a roller by the way. Not on the outer shell. Also some of the spans had spatter paint on them from what I have seen too so get some trunk spatter paint at your local auto parts store and that looks pretty good when its done. Last thing here is For the love of GOD stay away from Rhino lining on a boat. Gees

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 months ago #1818

To "mike 315": I did not make an offer of a flag pole. Must have me mistaken with somone else.

Yes, PLEASE post your brochures. Go to the LIBRARY section and post everything ya have.

Andreas

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #1875

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #1884

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What kind of marine primer did you use? I am shocked that the cracks didn't come back most do. I do have some boats here that will never see he water again and be display only that I could use a cheaper way to restore them. Gel coating all boats I have is just not financially realistic. I would still use top grade top coat paint.
Cowboy

Update 14 years 1 month ago #2112

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well, the middle seat is out and the floor between the two seats is out. The pic shows a soggy 1/4" ply but it's made into 4 strips. I plan to just cut two pieces for the floor and butt them together and then glass them together. I'm just going to set the old fiberglass floor back in and glass it back in as well. I plan on rolling on some no-slip paint inside. I'm still considering bracing the seats differently than the way it was.
Attachments:

Re:Update (maybe big problem) 14 years 1 month ago #2156

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm into the rear seat and now have all the foam out of that one. My problem is that it looks like the plywood floor continues to the transom from the front seat. I have not started to cut the ply out under the second seat or to the transom, but I do not think that sheets of plywood are sold in 7-8 foot lengths. Where would it be good to make the break? I do not want to compromise the strength of the floor since this ply is so thin. I will post pics later if I did a horrible job of explaining this.

Re:Update (maybe big problem) 14 years 1 month ago #2157

A pair of 4'x8' plywood sheets are sufficient to do the flooring in most boats under 17'. Not sure what your original plywood floor thickness was, but I shouldn't think it was below 3/8" or 1/2" thickness. 3/4" for a floor is just excess weight. More photos of a work in progress are always appreciated.

Re:Update (maybe big problem) 14 years 1 month ago #2158

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well it's more like mass destruction right now. Between the two seats there was one piece of 3/8"? ply strips side by side. As far as I can see, they were continuous to the transom. It measures over 7 ft in length. I guess I can use 2 sheets. One from the transom to the middle of the rear seat, then from the middle of the rear seat to under the front seat. I don't plan on cutting the ply into strips. It seems almost pointless that they did it to begin with... Must have been for faster build times somehow.
Attachments:

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2185

Well the way it was originally done was one piece of ½” ply from the transom to just past the back of the front seat. You don’t really want any breaks in it lengthwise… As far as the strips widthwise go, that helps the wood to follow the contour of the floor better. I took my plywood all the way under the front seat. I used two pieces of ¾” marine grade plywood & made relief cuts in it where needed to make in fit the shape of the hull. Here are some pictures to help with what I’m explaining.

The plywood stops at the line where the yellow extension cord is.

The new floor is ran to the front edge of the front seat. That is where the floor really changes from basically a flat v to a compound curve.

View of the rear.
Attachments:

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2190

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Should I just redo the floor back into strips? It seemed that the old ply was only 3/8". Maybe upgrade to 1/2" and just rip cut the sheet into the original strips? I want to be cleaning up tomorrow and Sunday start replacing the floor. Hopefully it will be pretty straight-forward.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2192

Its really up to you. I don’t know what kind of tools you have… I wouldn’t recommend going with the strips unless you have a table saw. Using a circular saw would be tough to get quality cuts. Considering they will need to be angled to what ever degree needed do fit the pieces together with out gaps between them. I’m really sure ½” plywood was originally used on the floor. I wouldn’t go any less than that! I went with ¾”, it may not be necessary but I’m building this boat to last. My best piece of advise is do not rush your work!!!! Take your time & think every thing you do over well before doing it! I’m new at this too… Rushing things with little experience leads to disaster! It will take some serious time to remove that wood & prep the glass under the wood for the installation of the new floor! I had about 16+ hours of real work time in cutting out the seats, removing the plywood, sanding/grinding the floor smooth for the new stuff. I’m pretty picky so it may not take you that long. Is the wood rotten or just wet?

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2200

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I have a table saw, skill saw, compound miter saw, and a jig saw. My wife doesn't like to see me NOT working on something... it's just never anything that I want to work on. I've had several boats in the past and still have my '86 330hp four winns, but all needed mechanical help and none nearly this old. I like your way the best with cutting reliefs where the wood will need to contour to the bottom. Since it's such a small boat, I think that I will just use the 1/2" ply and set the fiberglass "cap" back on and glass it all shut. I will hopefully have the old floor from the rear seat to the transom out and everything cleaned up by Sunday afternoon... I have to work Saturdays. I think that I should have half the floor fitted by Monday night. With any luck, I can keep setting goals and keep pushing forward with this awesome little boat. Again, I appreciate all the help I get here. I will keep taking pics and updating as I go.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2287

Cool, keep us posted.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2827

I recently picked up a 1964 Sea King 14" with all original hardware and the 35 HP Sea King Motor. but the seats are all gone. You mentioned that you have some of the old Span America brochures. Any chance they show the seat configuration?

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2830

Span America Boat Co. or its successor Span Boats (made by Rice Lake Boat Co.) was not making boats for Montgomery Wards (SeaKing) in 1964.

I do not know who was making boats for Wards in 1964.

Andreas

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #2868

Randy,
Maybe if you post a few pics, someone will be able to help identify your boat.
There were MANY manufacturers during that era. I'd imagine that you would get some help tho, if we saw pictures.

Mike

Some more updating... 14 years 1 month ago #2895

• Erik
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well my weekends have been full of doctor visits for my pregnant wife and she feels that baby is more important than boat. I guess she has a point. I have my floors pretty much cut and water-proofed. My problem is that towards the front seat, it seems like there is nothing but resin. I mean like 15 minutes of grinding with 60 grit wheel on my grinder. It has stress cracks in it, but why all the resin and how far does it go? I really don't want to spend all time grinding it out if I can just mix some more up and just fill in the cracks and then lay some mat over it. Also, has anybody just glued the floor down? I plan on laying some mat under my new floor just for peace of mind and giving it a new surface. I built the floor in just 2 pieces instead of strips, but it takes a few minutes to get into place and I'm afraid that my resin will start to harden too quickly. I can mix less hardener, but then it will take longer to set. Any ideas? If I can get a buddy over, I can probably get the floor in place much quicker than myself alone.
Attachments:

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #3155

I will try to post some pics but I am not very good at this computer thing.

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 1 month ago #3186

HERE ARE SOME PICS

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4114

Obviously that did not work. Said my files too big. One picture??

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4117

randy in 1964 seaking was built by starcraft,at least my 64 seaking cabin cruiser was built by them,i posted scans of the 1964 wards catalog of their boats in your other post "64 seaking",ill post them again here it may also help others,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4195

Thank you very much for the pictures. My boat has a dip in the bumper rail about two thirds of the way towards the back. It looks just like a span America but without the fiberglass cowling over the seats. It resembles the red boat under "Beauty, Performance,Safety" tag line but that boat has no dip. I am going to work on getting a picture on here. Thanks again.

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4197

I am trying to upload in a compressed format. Here goes [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images Here is another view. Anyone know who made this boat?/100_0892.jpg
Attachments:

randysnr

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4204

randy does you motor look like this?if it does,its probably a 63 seaking,that was made by gale,its the last year of production of gale,but you can usually use johnson/evinrude parts,they used alot of the same parts,these are bigger motors(mine was the 63 60hp.but they should have a similar badges. look at the motors on the boats in the scan above,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 14 years 2 weeks ago #4228

• spanboatsguy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The boats in the brochures were made by starcraft for seaking in 63 and 64 past that I don't know. Span America was gone by the end of 61 and the molds were bought by a company in Redwing Minnesota in 62, They made Mariner boats there but few Spans were produced, They had problems with gelcoats from the boats I have seen. In the spring of 63 Chet Kartsteadt and Bart Hoekstra bought the molds, accually Chet bought the molds and Bart paid for a building in Sheboygan, Wisconsin to build boats in but they had there share of problems so they contracted a boat builder in Rice Lake WI to build them. But Span Boats Inc was born in the spring of 63. I do have the brochures for 64 and 65 that will be posted in the Wiki section soon as a heading is Created and Ken is working on that for me.
Cowboy

Re:A little help for a Span sea king (bow light) 13 years 11 months ago #5920

Eric, did you find that bow light yet?
There are a couple on ebay right now. I have bought 2 within the last month, trying to find one with decent finish. As others have stated, the rechroming is very expensive, but in some cases, almost impossible.
These lights were cast pot metal. When the chrome pits, there is most likely a whole in the casting, under the chrome. It takes MANY nickel applications, before it'll be smooth enough for chrome. It's not like rechroming a brass casting or steel bumper.

If you don't find a light that you like, I can get you a somewhat rough, but proper light til you get a "cherry one".

When time permits, I'd really like to see a few more pictures from your boat;
* the steering wheel and dash plate behind the wheel.
* the mounting of the controls on the side of the seat.
* a close-up of the deck chocks.
* the hinges on the glove box.

Thanks,
Mike

Classicfins, pics posted earlier 13 years 11 months ago #5922

Classicfins, earlier in this thread, you posted a pictures of a Span, laying on the ground.
You mentioned finding it at Captain Hooks. What, (where) is that?
I an wondering if any of the hardware on that boat is available for sale.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Re:Classicfins, pics posted earlier 13 years 11 months ago #5945

Sorry to say, but Captian Hook's was an abandoned boat junk yard that was seized by the city of Dallas and everything was bulldozed about 3 years ago. All is lost unfortunately.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:A little help for a Span sea king 13 years 10 months ago #10047

WOW very nice boat.. I purchased today a 58 MWards Sea King 15 ft w/ 40hp johnson (needs work) and trailer. I'll post pics tomorrow

1965 Elgin Outboard 50hp 2stroke 13 years 7 months ago #14875

I have just recieved a 14ft Elgin Simpson/Sears fibreglass boat, with a 1965 Eglin/Chrysler 2storke 50hp engine from my Papa, it is still in about 95% condition, and was last on the water 7years ago, tuned and winterized after that, but has been sitting ever since, engine runs but needs tune up, carb clean, etc, boat has all orginal parts, including ski bar, was wondering if anyone knew of this boat and its value, as well of anyone in the ara that might be able to maintain, and winterize this vintage piece, I live in London, Ontario, Canada
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)