Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Calling all Day-Cruisers!

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #51999

This is a Seabreeze Model 1900 Contessa (1958-60) that I got for free in October. Might be the last one extant. I can't find anybody who has seen one since 1962. I just love it.

This boat is a total rehab job, from the keel up. The interior was all rotten plywood, as was the sole, so I'm not "restoring" it. I'm puttine in a port-potty (wife growls otherwise...) , new stringers, thickening the hull (now 1/8" - too thin for me!) , sole, etc. It's a job.

Where do all of you guys get those curved windshields? I need one for the cabin top. Taylormade?

Also, The original blue paint is that deep blue that a lot of you have - I'm thinking of repainting this with the light blue that you see there, which is just oxidized gelcoat. Is it too "bad" of me not to use the original color?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52000

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
GOOD DEAL R.D.: CONGRATS.. I think quite a few mfg's used Light Blue in the early 60's. Kind of went with boating... The new windshields , like TAYLOR can be quite expensive, also high Shipping charges if ordered somewhere.. Need to keep scrounging back yards, boat dealers, etc..
Our son lives in Auburn Maine.. do you drive down the East coast,?? a friend need a Aluminum rowboat moved down.
Any pics of the cabin / cockpit bulkhead layout.. Is there a door , or fully open .

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52001

How about my 78 Weekender
Attachments:

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52002

and out of the drink
Attachments:

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52014

• jepstr67
  • jepstr67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ritdog wrote:

This is a Seabreeze Model 1900 Contessa (1958-60) that I got for free in October. Might be the last one extant. I can't find anybody who has seen one since 1962. I just love it.

This boat is a total rehab job, from the keel up. The interior was all rotten plywood, as was the sole, so I'm not "restoring" it. I'm puttine in a port-potty (wife growls otherwise...) , new stringers, thickening the hull (now 1/8" - too thin for me!) , sole, etc. It's a job.

Where do all of you guys get those curved windshields? I need one for the cabin top. Taylormade?

Also, The original blue paint is that deep blue that a lot of you have - I'm thinking of repainting this with the light blue that you see there, which is just oxidized gelcoat. Is it too "bad" of me not to use the original color?

Of all the boats on this thread, that one surely is unique. That crazy vertical windshield will really call attention. Was the top windshield curved or a copy of the cabin one? Either way very interesting.

My determining factor on paint vs restore is of there is damage I need to fix. My SeaLion has some real serious damage so that one will get painted. My Thunderhawk has only one gash in the deck, so I'll try to polish that boat up and keep it Gel coat. Either way, it's your boat. Do what you think is best for you.

Re:Contessa 1900 pix 12 years 4 months ago #52100

A couple of you guys wanted more pix of the inside- here it as it was- it's all gone now. The interior was all just 1/2 ply, and all wet- I fell through the settee! The sole was OK, but was a trampoline- stringers all gone.

Jeepstr, where do you get those curved windshields?
Attachments:

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52129

Anura16 wrote:

I just purchase this one. I liked the looks of it. I have installed a Nissan 30 hp, but think it will not be sufficient HP. Will take it to the water in a couple of weeks

Anura16.... curious, have you been able to get it in the water, how is she? missed bidding on it by minutes or it just might have been in my driveway :)

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52180

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Not in the water yet. It needed a new trailer. Then sickness, cold weather, Christmas. But the first warm day next year we're going to the lake. I'll let you know.

Re:Contessa 1900 pix 12 years 4 months ago #52200

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ritdog wrote:

Jeepstr, where do you get those curved windshields?

The one I have I ordered from Sears in 1977. The company who made it is out of that business now. That isn't going to help anyone out these days.

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52214

check this out ............
it a article that Mark 42 wrote about hot to make a windshield.

www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,68,00.html

hope this helps
woosterken

Winshield Fabrication 12 years 4 months ago #52223

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good link for my "windshield fabrication" research, thanks Ken!

Mark

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52226

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..W.: Good LINK, Here is almost the identical windshield info for
Mark / others.. Glen - L Newsletter # 113 . Lexan Curved windshield. www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-13/webletter113.html ..Boy if some members could only score a warehouse of NOS windshields it would be a great 2012. !

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52231

SPLIT and KEN- Many thanks for those two windshield websites- they are EXACTLY what I needed. It's so much easier than I thought it would be.

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52236

Split,

check with the owner of................

nicklecityclassics.webs.com/apps/links/

he posted on here a ways back that he indeed had scored a truck load of nos windshield from an old whearhouse of MFG boats in Pa.

woosterken

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52237

• MarkS

Split,
check with the owner of................
nicklecityclassics.webs.com/apps/links/

AKA; CC1000 here! ;)

Mark

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52239

Thanks woosterken .... the share a project link is exactly what I was looking for to replace the my glass. Answered all the questions I posted last week!

Custom Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52300

• slo-mo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
jepstr67 wrote:

When I was a wee tot my parents bought and restored a 1959 Wood Larson 18' Day Cruiser. We took that boat everywhere and even used it as a cruiser for sleeping a few times. I'm kind of an odd-ball. I like cars without roofs and boats with them.

I have a 1959 Larson Thunderhawk Sr. I've been contemplating for some time now, converting to a "could have been" day cruiser. If you have ever seen the Larson Thunderhawks big and small, you have observed, as I have, the 14 is a well designed, eye catching craft. The larger T-hawk looks like the answer to the unnecessary question of "what if we put Thundrhawk fins on an All-American"? The rear cockpit looks strangely long for no good reason. No extra seats. No built in storage. Just bigger, not better.

Anyway, the reason for the thread it to ask for photos of day cruisers. If you have a hardtop boat, please post up a picture.

Hey Todd,

Thanks for asking the question, it has been interesting to see the types of cruisers and hardtops, guys have in their project stash - but disappointing to see how many haven't made their way into the shop, and probably won't ever see water time again.

As you said, childhood memories can be born, during overnight "adventures" on the high seas. It is our task to get these floating "time machines/motorhomes" floating again. We don't do the hobby any favors by requiring that an authentic resto is the only right way. Since we don't use boats the same way we did in the 50's, they should be modified to fit our needs - in your case, a runabout becomes a day-cruiser after grafting on a roof. (cool!)

Our project stash includes 2 cruisers and a hardtop.(if you squint you can see a g3 in the shadows)

Work will begin later this month on the 1960 Glastron 18' Bayflite Custom Cruisette. The hull was partially restored by a local hotrodder that lost momentum. This is the much chubbier Mother to our 1961 15' GlastronJet. While mostly original and complete, the lawn chair and kitchen cabinet interior, replete with a full 1" of padding - leaves much to be desired.

Since my needs are different than those envisioned by Glastron designers, we have hatched a plan to reinvigorate the Bayflite with a plethora of "period appearing" modifications. The helm will be converted to a center console (midship) with leaning post and small cuddy type wind deflector on the hardtop. Lounge seating with sleeping provisions will increase bow passengers comfort, and motivation will be provided by a Mercury-XR2 175hp SportJet. An integral swimstep will help skiers launch and reboard after shredding.

Next in line is a 1955 Bell Boy 16' Express Cruiser. This unpainted, early fiberglass boat will be restored, with the addition of the unusual 1965 Evinrude V-4 stringer I/O combo.

The sweet 1957 Skagit 17 Express Cruiser, rounds out my dreamboat cabin boat collection. We are collecting all of the parts to complete, just not sure when???

Hope these have helped your quest in some way.

PS: love the Seabreeze Contessa, RitDog ..g

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52304

• MarkS
Very well stated Slo-mo, and what a beautiful stash of Glassics you have there, thanks for sharing them with us. I do have immense respect for those craftsmen (and women, of course!) who painstakingly take great care in restoring their craft back to exact original standards and details. But even more I agree that restoration to fit YOUR needs and lifestyle on the water is completely acceptable and makes much more sense in many ways. Customizing your "ride" has long been an expression of the owner's personality, and I for one am glad the tradition continues here. The most important thing, as you stated, is to get them back out on the water where they belong. Looking forward to future progress reports, pics, and input from you. Not sure how you found us here at FG, just really glad you did! ;)

Mark

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52317

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've discovered that the greatest motivator is to have fun. An enormous, never ending, project is not fun. I do what I must to get the boat in water and then I work to make my "Crappy-Craft" into something I can be proud of. "Hey, at least it doesn't sink" is rewarding, but not as fun as positive comments from others. I find fixing a boat while I'm using it (no mater how embarrassing that might be) to be the best way for me to enjoy the project.

It looks way better in this photo than it is in real life. :laugh:

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 12 years 4 months ago #52321

• MarkS

I've discovered that the greatest motivator is to have fun.

AMEN to that Todd! My current project (GT-150) will probably launch without an interior or a windshield for that very reason. It would be nice to completely finish first, but you gotta keep the grin generator working, right?! Finish her up during the off-season. :P

Mark

Re:Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 10 months ago #132378

I'm looking at buying a Glastron V-215 myself. I was wondering if you could comment on how well it works for a middle aged camping couple? IE is it comfortable?

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132433

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cool thread. I am on the hunt for a day cruiser. If anyone knows of or has a good deal on one please post it.
Hoping to find one in N.Y. and not in any hurry but if the right one pops up

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132454

Here's is my 1965 MFG 19' Sea Cruiser
Attachments:

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132455

Hey cosmic12 this one was for sale last year not far from you. I can call the guy and see if he still has it.

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132462

Ebay Motors, search for :

1961-Dorsett-Cruiser-Catalina-Power-Boat
Attachments:

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132475

well i had to throw my capts. cap in the water , 1960 mfg sea cruiser ten years and holding drug it out last oct. windy cold but bobbing up and down in the water no reg. numbers windshield lights but skimming across the water at abrisk 35mph fast as we could stand the thumping.
starting to build the seat bases and i got a price for a49 gallon gas tank... 60x20x10 to fit under the seats..529.00 plumbed and all but here it is oh and i have found someone to do my creature from the black lagoon decal for me. for the starboard side

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132477

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice work and great boat!

Dr.Go!

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132478

Nice job on her

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132481

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I looked at a couple Dorsetts last week but just a bit to far gone. I can't aford a finished one but need to find one that is more than a parts hull. Whats the deal with trying to view pics here lately? I can't get them to open and when I do its not the ones I clicked on and it sends me back to the beginning of the thread?????

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 9 months ago #132487

The two tutorials above are great!
There is one right here on fiberglassics also, thanks to Andrew Gott:

fiberglassics.com/research-sp-59834616/140-making-a-new-plexiglass-windshield.html

Hello, World!!

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 6 years 8 months ago #132914

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Still looking. I have a couple Glasspar's I would like to sell or trade for a cruiser, if anyone knows of somebody looking. I have a 1965 Super G thats pretty nice (have a ad on here) and a center deck G-3 total project.
Where are all the glassic pocket cruiser's hiding??????

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 7 months ago #140946

I don't know how old this thread is. I am in search of a 58-59 Cutter Cabin Cruiser to add to my Cutter collection.
The photos below are from an internet search only for reference.
Any help is appreciated.
Attachments:

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 7 months ago #140952

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
WOW! old thread and it popped up again. I finally got one a few months ago. Now it has to sit and wait, I do hope not to long.
Attachments:

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 7 months ago #140953

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
"I don't know how old this thread is. I am in search of a 58-59 Cutter Cabin Cruiser to add to my Cutter collection."
8 years, 4 weeks old.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 6 months ago #141045

Yeah... I'm a sucker for old threads. Especially good ones. ;)

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 6 months ago #141049

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Check out these old threads!

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 4 years 6 months ago #141056

LOL NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Calling all Day-Cruisers! 3 years 6 months ago #143306

63 Saber wrote: "I don't know how old this thread is. I am in search of a 58-59 Cutter Cabin Cruiser to add to my Cutter collection."
8 years, 4 weeks old.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Actually... I did !

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8940 guests and 2 members online