Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: boat identification

boat identification 11 years 10 months ago #62884

Hi, new to the forum and from across the pond, i own a 1950s? fibreglass ski boat, but im having trouble identifying th make or model, it is 17ft long and running a vauxhall cresta 3.3litre straight 6, all up and running, i wondered if anyone on the forum would have an idea of the maker, mant thanks mike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:boat identification 11 years 10 months ago #62911

all i can say is welcome,and i have never seen a boat like that,very,very cool.
ill bet someone on fg will know what it is,there are alot of expert folks here,im just not one of them,lol.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:boat identification 11 years 10 months ago #62915

Welcome Madlats. I never seen one either but someone should.
Attachments:

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63015

Hi, thanks for the help so far, here is some more pics of the boat, regards mike
Attachments:

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63016

sorry it seems i have managed to put 4 of the same pics on, heres another one sorry, regards mike
Attachments:

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63017

and another
Attachments:

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63019

Hi, a bit more information about the boat, i bought it last year from a a guy who said it was a 1970s 14ft boat running on a triumph 2 litre straight six, when i collected it, i could see it was 17ft long and at least a 1950/60s boat running on a vauxhall cresta 3.3 litre 130bhp, very original and well constructed. Spent time resolving starting issues, 1. bad points 2. carburetor diaphragm 3. distributor fired anticlockwise, original owner had set firing order to cylinders on a clockewise cycle. All dash clocks are original smiths marine clocks, has twin front tanks which are being restored. Sounds awesome when fired up, engine is good and bringing 150psi to each cylinder, i have been having great difficulty in identifying my boat and with it being left hand drive thought is may be from the u.s.a. but not sure, regards mike
Attachments:

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63026

Nice looking boat you have there. Could you id the year of the motor and the type of out drive on your boat. There is an old gentleman in Toronto , Ontario that may know what type of boat it is. It looks kinda like a boat I saw back in the 70s Up in canada.

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63028

madlats,

i have NO idea what it is so i'll simply say: LUCKY DOG!

NIFTY boat.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63044

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm with the rest of the gang here Madlats, no clue with the ID but a very cool boat! Looks to be in pretty good condition, too. I was thinking it's probably from a European mfg., don't think I've seen one on this side of the pond. :unsure:

Mark

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63053

Cool looking ride !
I'm new to fiberglass boats, so I couldn't even start to give suggestions of what manufacturer, made the boat. I've always had to go to the local boat registration authority to see what they had the boat listed as ?
As for the helm station location ?
This is what I was told…. The question was always asked: Why do some boats have the helm on the right, and some on the left ? The answer was: It all depends on the prop rotation when the boat motor was designed. (I'm talking inboards here)
When a boat is sitting at the dock, it is nice and level. But as soon as the prop starts spinning, it creates torque. So the prop spins one way, the boat is going to try and spin the opposite way.
And the thought is: If a single person is in the boat, let's level out the boat, created by the torque, by putting all of the extra weight of a person on the rotation side of prop. Meaning if the prop spins clockwise, put the helm on the right, because the boat will want to naturally spin to the left. And visa-versa. If the prop spins to counter clockwise, lets put the helm on the left, because the boat will try to spin to the right.
Now.. If you have a prop that spins clockwise, and put the helm on the left,
The boat will try to tip to the left, and with the extra weight of the driver on the left, it will make the boat tip even more to the left. It makes sense to me ? So that is what I believe, but I could be wrong ?

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63092

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Chuck, you are correct. In the first post pic, the prop is a left rotation, which would "lift" the left side.

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63142

You might try contacting chirombo - he's one of the users here on the forum who is located in the UK and he happens to have a broad knowledge of the brands of boats found there.

Re:boat identification 11 years 9 months ago #63150

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Must be an early Bat Boat. Just Kidding. What a cool boat, taillights and all. I would guess it is of European origin. Never seen anything like it.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6900 guests and 3 members online