Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: yellow jacket

yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97711

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97712

Was having trouble with images, but I think I have it figured out. So looking at buying this 1950's yellow jacket as a project boat. If any yellow jacket guru's can help me out with some identification I would be very happy. Also I don't know an awful lot about fiberglass repair so I will attach some pictures of some hull problems.

Let me know what you think seller is asking $500. It has a 1959 35hp Johnson
Attachments:

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97717

Without photos of the top of the deck it is hard to tell the year. The metal tag on the back along with a painted hull, tells me it is a 1951 through 1954..

In it's day it had a dark green painted hull. From what I can tell the 1953 was painted inside white from the factory where the 1954 were varnished.

Fiber glassing these boats will not work out. they flex too much that glass will not stay. A bit of TLC and time you can repair them using wood.

A good shot of the deck will tell me more about the year of being a 1952, 1953, or a 1954 (if it has not been changed)

CAVU

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97718

the gentleman that currently owns it live about 400 miles from me. so I haven't seen the boat in person. he says that it is a 1950. he also says that the bottom of the hull is molded fiberglass and has wood ribs. it is hard for me to tell by the pictures. I would be very pleased it the whole boat was wood.
Attachments:

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97719

picture
Attachments:

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97720

picture
Attachments:

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97721

seperating
Attachments:

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97723

NO the hull is not fiberglass it is plywood.

Someone may have glass over it (that was big in the late 60s).

The deck photo is a bit small and hard to see however it takes out the 51 52 years. I am thinking that the inside being painted it may be a 53. If it still has the darts on the deck rounded ones make it a 53 for sure, and pointed ones make it a 54.

The first glass Yellow Jacket came out in the latter part of 1957,
They do not look anything like the plywood boats.

The shot of the bow the worst spot. however being the boat is painted it is fixable. The area that you shot of the boat and the spray rail separating is no big problem. They are screwed in from the inside. I would take them off and make new ones. You can have them made of white oak, again because the boat is a painted hull...just watch your grain as to be sure it does not run across the piece for you will have to bend it. Start if from the bow and work back.

A lot of work...try to talk him down for you will really need to remove the glass coating added. It traps and hold water causing rot

BTW the seats are add ons as is the windshield

My website...still building it
www.yellowjacketboats.com/

My yahoo site...very dead right now
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/redriverflotilla/info

Denison's/David's website
historywithheart.com/yellowjackethome.html

Yahoo site...a bit dead however some check it every day or 2
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/yellowjacketboats/info

CAVU

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97724

You Sir, definitely know your boats!!! thank you very much for your help. I will be calling him this afternoon and see what I can work out. I think this would be a great winter project. looking forward to picking your brain in the future.

Again thank you.

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97725

wyoming.craigslist.org/boa/4540980993.html

also hear is a link to the craigslist ad. there is a better picture of the deck. I don't see any arrows, but it is awfully worn.

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97744

TDISD,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Listen to "TallTexan" as he is the local guru on all things YJ.
(He restored/owns the oldest known YJ and several more besides.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97756

That boat has a king plank so I betting it is a 1953 model

CAVU

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97910

Considering that it's only $500 the motors and trailer just about justify the cost, I'd still shoot for $300.00! The boat looks to be very far gone and is clearly a major project. If this is the boat you want and you are willing to spend several times what it's going to be worth when done then go for it but you may be better off to spend 2 to 3 times the money now for a much better starting point. Plywood boats have a much smaller following than cedar or plank boats which makes even the nicest (unless very rare) boat very hard to sell.
Al

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97925

If you are looking for an investment to make money on or even to break even old boats and motors are not the items.

99.9% of the time you are going to lose money on one. Most people that make money are the ones that find an item and flip it with out restoring it or part it out.

The ones that restore old boats and motors do for the joy of it.

I charge out my time at a mim of $1100.00 a day (and soon that is going up) so if I cut that in 1/2 (what taxes insurance and other cost takes away from my charge out) and kept records of my time on restoring a boat or motor, I would never be able to recoup the cost. However take what I save by not going to see a Head Dr because of all the build up bull from work I am getting off cheap.

It is not the dollars the drive most in this hobby, however the joy of working with their hands and seeing what they can do with their own hands.

However the cold molded plywood boats have a large group that love them because they are strong, light, and do not need to sit in the water as for the wood to swell as to stop leaking. A 14 1958 foot Yellow Jacket boat new with seats and hardware (no motor or controls) weigh in less than 200 lb

Yellow Jacket boats has a huge fan group with people looking for them all the time.

CAVU

Re:yellow jacket 9 years 8 months ago #97984

my plan this winter was to build the glen-l squirt. then when I seen this yellow jacket I thought that maybe for a first time build it would be a little easier, and cost effective to restore than build from scratch. Although money is tight, and I am on a budget. making money is not the priority on the build weather I do the Glen-L or end up with the YJ.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)