Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Virgin Inboarder

Virgin Inboarder 10 years 5 months ago #85452

At the ripe old age of 63 I've just become an inboard owner. The 1955 Correct Craft Atom Skier followed me home and the wife said I could keep her! So far, in the water once. But I'm playing chicken with Mother Nature. I've had the flood light on under the cover overnights the past week with temps into the 20's. There is much I don't know about the 4 cyl. flathead Gray Marine engine. How much oil does it take? Where are the water drains on the block? How much anti-freeze will I need to winterize it? How much fogging oil do I spray into the carb? The engine tag says "Model 620. What's the H.P. of this engine? She runs really great! I've changed the packing in the stufing box so far. Anything else I should do or check to be sure it stays on top of the water? I'm sure I'll have more questions when spring comes around and its time to un-winterize. Paint and varnish will be done over the winter.

Thanks for any help,
John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Virgin Inboarder 10 years 5 months ago #85481

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Your GrayMarine 620 has 62 HP. All you really need to do is unhook the hose for the hull water inlet and rig a way to pour antifreeze in the hose with a funnel. I'd pour in two gallons with the engine running or until what looks like pure antifreeze comes out the exhaust pipe. Turn off the fuel and pour a little fuel stabilizer in the tank. A shot or two of WD-40 inside the distributor cap wouldn't hurt either. Don't change the plugs and oil until the spring.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: Virgin Inboarder 10 years 5 months ago #85487

vernonfarmer,

That is a NICE IB engine.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Virgin Inboarder 10 years 5 months ago #85504

Thanks. Fog or not? I guess the idea of draining first assures no pockets of diluted antifreeze.

Re:Virgin Inboarder 10 years 5 months ago #85624

Thanks. Fog or not? I guess the idea of draining first assures no pockets of diluted antifreeze.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6550 guests and one member online