Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please Help Identify This Boat

Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 8 months ago #80560

I need help identifying the year, make and model of a boat. It is very important to a friend of mine.

He thinks it's a 1960 wooden boat with a 1966 merc. outboard. It's either 18' 6" or 19' 6". It was wrecked near Wantagh bridge (Long Island, New York) around 1969.

I spoke with an old salt who guessed that it was an Eltro (Small long island boat company from back in the day).

Attached is a PDF with 2 pictures (they're all we got).

I'm in the middle of doing a freedom of information request to the NY DMV because the hull registration is visible (NY 0799 AC).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 8 months ago #80561

Thanks!

Re:Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 8 months ago #80665

I feel for you. Talking to the NY state DMV is like playing 20 questions and getting no answers to any question.
I bought a boat once for 75 bucks from a guy, who got it in trade for some work he did, for another guy, that bought from someone else, who got it from a guy, who is now dead.
Sound familiar when buying old boats ?
Anyway…. The boat still had the hull registration number visible. ( I wanted to register the boat in my name, before I did any work on it.) You never know ? could have been a stolen boat, at one point ?
I called the local county DMV to find out who had it registered last, so I could get a bill of sale from them and register the boat…. And of course, the response I got was:
I’m sorry I can’t give out that information.
So, living close to another nearby county, I called that county DMV, and told the story above. And explained that I just wanted to register it, but can’t, because I need bill of sale from the last registered owner, (which was a 1957 model year) the DMV won’t tell me who registered it last ? When I got to the point of the guy was dead, the kind lady looked to see if he still had a valid driver’s license. Sure enough, the guy was still alive. Since the boat was so old, she gave me the last registered owner’s name and town , and the white pages did the rest.
A few days later, including an hour and a half drive, and 20 bucks for his trouble, I had a bill of sale.
So you may try calling multiple county, DMV’s, with your sob story to find a sympathetic ear ?

Since all you need is the listed maker and model year ? It may be doable ?
Good luck !!!!

Re:Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 8 months ago #80705

Try taking a look at Skee-Craft Boats:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Skee-Craft

Re:Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 8 months ago #80723

It sure looks like a sheet plywood hull. Sport-Craft, Borum, and Trojan etc...were builders of sheet plywood boats.

Andreas

Re:Please Help Identify This Boat 10 years 5 months ago #85819

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
might be a higgins, looks a lot like a higgins to me IMO

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6981 guests and no members online