• Page:

TOPIC: Someone talk me out of it

Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73353

• 64_Express
  • 64_Express's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a chance to pick up a fairly decent owens 28' minus the engine and trailer for $1000. I know i don't need another boat but man it is so tempting, and the better half has pretty much given the go-ahead......Just don't know if it's worth the money to restore.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73355

The better half has pretty much given the go ahead and it's not sitting in your yard yet??? Go Man GO!!!
Seriously that is an excellent looking boat, great lines and a nice usable size for good long cruise.

Sorry I can't bring myself to talk you out of it!

I'd like to get this one but no room in the yard and the very likely result of it's purchase would be having to live in it!
ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-34-Owens-Express-Fisherman-W0QQAdIdZ447226046

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73358

Sorry I'm with Al on this one too!!!!!!!!! If the boss ha already given the go ahead and it's not in the yard WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!!!!!! She looks to be in pretty good shape, from a distance anyway. Take a real good look at the hull, inside and out. She's got the canvas and all so I'd say she was probably taken pretty good care of. Good Luck and keep us posted

Bob

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73359

it looks great go for it is the inside nice?

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73366

How much does fuel cost up where you are and how big are the tanks?Just wondering. Skip.

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73368

DO IT!! It does look good in the pic and I would definitely heed the advise mentioned about the hull..plus a nice Trailer! If all checks out hand him 800 and shake his hand. Some say you can find all the parts for Owens that you need or want "on the bottom of the lake" but if taken care of its like anything. That boat should have a Mahogany deck and all Mahogany interior with a fair amount of room in the cockpit and below! Good family boat. Has a real cool hatch on the deck as did most all of the owens. Im with the Guys on this one...so looks like youre not gonna get talked out of it here! DO IT! (if it doesnt work out ....blame the wife..LoL!)

Kurt

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73382

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
DO IT, I like spending other peoples money, just like the govt.
Engines are available on Ebay. Rawhide Boys Ranch "Rawhide.org" has several old CC's with good engines that they can hardly give away because they don't have trailers. Make 'em an offer, strip the motor and running gear and then donate it back.

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73454

• 64_Express
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well that one isn't in too bad of shape. The v-drive needs rebuilt and is set up for a small block Chevy. interior is fair and exterior is pretty nice. just found another one a 26' on trailer with a glassed bottom and stripped top ready for paint that just needs a new block. going to go look at that one tomorrow. So many choices. Just not too sure how bad the plywood boats leak compared to the mahogany CC's

Nick

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73459

First does the trailer come with the first boat???
Second does it have a working transmission??
If both answers are yes..guess what Im thinking!
Also ply verses mahogany depends all on condition Ive heard guys say the prefer either or ..""chevy ford" johnson merc" syndrome I would probably preffer double plank mahogany but it s really kind of comparing apples to orangutans. thats my 2 cents.

Kurt

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73466

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here......let me help you with that.........
Attachments:

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73515

• 64_Express
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The first boat doesn't come with the trailer and the transmission is in need of a rebuild. The second boat has a trailer and a glassed bottom, trans is good and motor is fresh off of a rebuild but the prior owner forgot to drain it and cracked the block with under 50 hrs on it. Decisions decisions.
Fuel up here isn't too bad. About 2.85 at the pump and another .50-.75 per gallon at the lake.
Man I love the look of a wood boat but don't know if I want to deal with the upkeep.

Nick

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73518

I guess the best plan of attack is to buy the best boat. Both of them need some mechanical items but it is usually easier to do those things than to repair structural wood. I have helped on a restoration of a couple of small wood boats and I am currently working on a 60's homemade plywood that just needed a strip and paint but it is still a lot of effort. You may find that spending a bit more money up front (5 to 10 grand) may be cheaper in the long run if you get a solid ready to use wood boat that someone else has put the time and money into. There is not a big market for large old wood boats so the prices are pretty reasonable. An example in my province:
ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Chris-Craft-1962-Constellation-W0QQAdIdZ447417882

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 3 months ago #73533

A very awesome example of a CC Connie ! In Grreaat shape! This boat looks beautiful. And they will get up and run! Tough to find in that shape for that price (generally)

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 2 months ago #73901

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm just going to quote my father: "They require a lot of maintenance and the bigger they are, the longer it takes" :)

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 2 months ago #73910

A wood boat is a marriage. You have to commit to constant maintenance. I've bought four wood boats in my life: sold one afte a year of use. Planned to restore the other three but sold them after a year of work on each. I was almost as excited when I sold them as when I bought them!

Blest boater

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 2 months ago #73918

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
A boat house is the only way to keep maintenance in check. It keeps fluctuation in temperature slower. Same with moisture. It keeps the boat from drying out. Keeps it out of the sun.....the list goes on. Our maintenance is really little more than a glass boat now that it is fully restored, but short of a boat house, there is no way to stop entropy. And as far as the boat in question, holy cow!!! that would be one giant boat house!!!

Re:Someone talk me out of it 11 years 2 months ago #74210

• 64_Express
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well decided to go a different route. My boss used to have one just like it for many years and gave me the pros and cons. Just too much going on with kids (5 of them) and our new house to deal with a wood boat. Man it would be nice though. May have found a bigger Uni pre blister cheaper though.

Nick

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7350 guests and one member online