Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wooden Lone Star Boats?

Wooden Lone Star Boats? 12 years 2 months ago #54964

Howdy from Mesquite, Texas!

The Mesquite Fire Department is celebrating our centennial this year and we're trying to find out as much as we can about our old apparatus.

A little history: Before the City of Dallas took over rescue/recovery operations on Lake Ray Hubbard, our department had several boats that were used on the lake. Our first was a 14' wood boat donated by one of our citizens.

Attached is a picture of it behind our first Ambulance.

Legend is that it was a "1952 Lone Star". Other than a few pictures, that's about all we know.

So far, my research shows that Lone Star did not make wood boats.

Can anyone out there confirm or deny the Lone Star story?

Any information about possible make/model/manufacturer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
-Lt. Chuck Schmitt
Mesquite Fire Department
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wooden Lone Star Boats? 12 years 2 months ago #54974

I do not think that the boat is a Lone Star. Lone Star started production in 1946 with aluminum boats, (I have a 12Ft 1948 model...that year they had 2 models) The co was sold within a year of starting

Going to wood would have a big production change being that in 1952 they were getting into glass boats

Are you sure that it is a wood boat or a first year production glass boat
Many times Co would donate a "test boat , or a prototype, or a boat that did not make the cut (had a Defect or two) (did not make the cut most of the time had no name of the maker anywhere on it)

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

CAVU

Re:Wooden Lone Star Boats? 12 years 2 months ago #54992

Lone Star Boat Mfg. Co. of Grand Prairie, TX never made wooden boats. They started in aluminum and eventually added a fiberglass line. Maybe they sold some wooden boats that were made by another firm?

There could have been some other firms that also used the "Lone Star" brand or model name.

Dallas/Ft. Worth seamed to be a hub of boat building at one time: Bay Mar Boats; Fleetform; General Marine Sales; Glassco; Hydro Keel Draft Co; Marine Plastics (Glass Magic); Multi Plastics (Fiber-Flite); Mustang Boat Co; Pleasure, Inc; Rexcraft; Skipper Mfg. Co; Terry Plastic Co; Tubbs Mfg. Co; West American Industries, Inc; Whitehouse Plastics Corp; Willis Boat Works. I am sure there were others.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)