• Page:

TOPIC: Winter Storage

Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44655

• limulus
  • limulus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just curious how you guys store your woodies in winter? I'm in the Atlanta area, so it is not arctic around here. We do see temps in the teens in the middle of the winter but it rarely stays below freezing for more than a few days straight. This season, I am probably going to keep mine in our garage. We have a 3-car garage, but a boat on a trailer takes up more that it's share of space. My wife would prefer that I leave it at the lake which is in the mountains where it is a bit colder. I have a boat lift but would prefer to at least keep it on the trailer and stored in a secure area (no garage at the lake). I received an eblast from Jamestown Distributors last week with diy shrink wrap featured. I suppose I could do that. What do you guys do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2011 MALAHINI LAUNCHED 28 SEPT 2011

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44656

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
it is always best to cover a wood boat so it can breathe. Shrink wrap if left on too long will not allow the boat to breathe and you will get way too much moisture in it. It can raise a ton of problems for you. If you do cover with shrink wrap be sure to ventilate the $&%&^ out of it and not with the self piercing vents. Make many large vents. They do also sell solar vents that will try and move some air under the cover. Maybe even install a door and once a week go down and open her up. Floor boards and hatches open and because the shrink wrap sweats use the moisture absorbers. Always over frame a bit in case of excessive snow. Always best to use canvas or poly tarps with good frames. Ideally a garage with only 3 sides and a tarp over to keep out debris. That is how I used to store my 1959 Owens Flagship 29.

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44658

• limulus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I forgot to mention that my boat is done in epoxy and glass inside and out with an automotive clear coat. I guess my main concern is storing it outside in the cold. I suppose I can just keep it in our garage for winter. We can still get one car in when the boat is there.

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44709

The cold temeperatures will not hurt the wood. Maybe the automotive finishes, but not the wood. Best place to store wooden boats is in unheated space with dirt or gravel floor. Light cover to keep debries out but let air in and out of the boat. Open up hatches and bulkhead doors, etc...

Andreas

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44734

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You haven't mentioned the motor. Do you plan on doing anything with that?

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44738

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
63 Sabre wrote:

You haven't mentioned the motor. Do you plan on doing anything with that?

Good question .............

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #44852

• limulus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably keep her in my garage this year. The motor was a no brainer and I'm on top of that one. I was mainly curious about storing the boat.

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #45228

I can't afford the luxury of inside storage(but might have something lined up this winter), but last winter I had my beautiful molded mahogany sitting outside on a trailer, covered well with a good tarp, a small frame with ridge pole and peak to ensure no snow build up (I'm in snow country in upstate NY) and some room to breath. She is just as fine as the day I pulled her out of the horse barn I found her in.

Just keep the moisture out which includes not too tight a wrap as others mentioned and you will be fine in Atlanta.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Winter Storage 12 years 6 months ago #45591

Greetings,

I'm probably very near where your place is in the mountains north of Atlanta, I'm in Ellijay. It gets substantially colder up here for a lot longer than where you are. I would be worried about putting it in a place that you can't watch over a bit, especially up here where; racoons, foxes, squirrels, mice, bears are the norm.

Another option might be a storage facility somewhere like Lake Oconee which is only 90 minutes east of you.

If not that, at least commit to this year the garage and find a safe place next year.

Jerri

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)