TOPIC: Pulling the engine from a 63 Sabre

Pulling the engine from a 63 Sabre 12 years 7 months ago #44242

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Bob, here are the pictures I have of pulling the 327 from the
Sabre. The engine and velvet drive combo weigh around 900#. Limited headroom in the basement required a lot of maneuvering. The heads and intake were removed to make some more room, they were rusted inside anyway and went for a magniflux and complete rebuild.

First I removed all the wiring, exhaust, driveshaft, water inlet, anything that would hang on. Wrapped straps around the block and attached a 3 tom chainfall.

Low headroom.

And finally..

I sent the heads out for a rebuild but did the lower and remaining parts myself.

After the build in all glory. [img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/06_16_0-20110914.JPEG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Pulling the engine from a 63 Sabre 12 years 7 months ago #44320

Cal,
Wow you weren't kidding about low headroom. Thanks for sharing these. I'm going to be in the same position in my shed if I go that route. Problem is I don't have a beam running across that I can hang my chain fall from. I've thought about finding an I beam about 12' long but they aren't cheap and there really aren't any salvage yards down here in Southern Maryland. I may just have to wait for the ole' Harbor Freight 1 ton cherry picker to go on sale again. I think I saw that one for $99.99 a month or so ago. The 1 ton engine stand is on sale for $49.99 w/coupon right now. The engine was suppose to have been done before the previous owner bought it. He also supposedly winterized it before he stored it. I want to believe that, seemed like a nice guy and a little anal about his mechanical stuff so..... The engine also looks like ti was painted when it was gone over, about 5 years ago, I think he said.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5896 guests and no members online