Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 century Resorter ............................

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46056

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46057

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I, apologize for all the glare , and will try to redo the pics for better quality .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46082

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46086

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46088

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46089

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46091

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46113

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
HEY GUYS ,...................for those looking for free info................ i have over 40 plus years doing fiberglass repair using all composites.............from wild to mild repairs ,and for those who just might be seeking some sound advise................feel free to ask , and if you want http:www.performanceboats.com/outdrives/51045-32-skater.html ......will kinda give you ....somewhat of an idea of the type of work i actually do for starters ........but then again O-Well , and once Again , this is not an advertisement .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46118

The 1948 Sea Maid I'm doing has planks a perfect 1/2" thick. Is that what you're using? If so, how are you making them? I'm about to buy a planar and a band saw. The band saw I want to use to resaw 5/4 stock to 1/2" then run it through the planer to make the 3/8" stock for the decks. The 1/2" side planks I plan to plane down from 3/4" stock.

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46120

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Your work looks great OG, and thanks for the offer of advise, etc., very kind of you. ;)

Mark

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46190

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Crosby , everything that i am using for the decking , cover boards ,and the transom ia a very fat ...... 1/2 inch , and everything else is also a very fat...... 7/16, and all stock used at this point is 3/4 . Crosby,i...... gotta say.... that i have been very lucky in the wood department at this time considering a friend of mine is cutting me a great price on the wood along with doing the mill work , and re-saw if needed . Hey guy , if you feel the need to buy a planer ,and bandsaw to achieve....everything that needs to be done ...........................so be it , and more power to you my friend ....considering at that point in time you will only have one person to rely on ...................... to get the job done .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46191

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mark , thank you...............

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46192

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Crosby,i forgot to mention ..........that twice today i started to post a reply , and got side tracked ....by Family ,and Friends . :laugh: :laugh: :) :cheer: :lol: And just a quick mention ....this boat is (now) up for sale and will be sold or finished ............considering new hull sides (planks) will be added weekly until i get to the point where i decide to flip her and re-do the bottom ..........which at that point...... will be a finished boat ....ready for Stain ,and Varnish ............ And dont worry guy's ....EVEN ......THOUGH ......you ( VIEW ) this thread ha ha ha ha ha ........i will not throw any bad Karma..... your way ...........................ha ha ha

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46253

nice work,ill bet shes going to be a beauty,i cant wait to it finished,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46255

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank's John , and one can only hope after all the work that goes into a project like this ......she the (boat) has only one option , and that is to be beautiful ......... Ha Ha Ha

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46258

your welcome ginger,like i said you have ALOT to offer on this site,im glad your here,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46288

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
John , once again thank you . ,and to tell you the truth , i was drawing a very fine line on .....becoming a contributing member along with a few other things , and after this whole thing on another thread that got locked down ...................i seem...... to have gotten ...... a very bad taste in my mouth at this time , and hopefully time will cure all wounds , and for now i will take one step at a time . John , hopefully in the near future i will be posting another project (glass) in the makings .........if all goes well .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46305

i would like to see your glass project,im kind of partial to glass,i love the old woodies,but the way the glass boats are so different from one another,it just gets to me,i love fins and headlights,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #47300

One of the interesting things I am dealing with on the 1948 Century Sea Maid is "manufacturing errors". I can't tell you how many screws I have chased that completely missed their mark. This is true on port and stbd engine hatches and transom. Screws for the side planking are ok. Many screws were put through the outer plank only to completely miss the brace below it. I discovered this initially on the transom where it seemed there were too many holes. Well there were. Half of them missed the underlying braces. My plan, rather than to replace transom planks, is to add bracing where screws missed. If it was ok in 1948, it's ok in 2011.

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #47322

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That is interesting, Brian. You would have thought the person doing the assembly/construction would have realized the error and corrected it then. Maybe they didn't want to call attention to their error, or "waste" the materials to do it over properly. Probably a "new guy" in the build team ? Novel approach at correcting the error, sister the new braces to the existing ones. Any pics?

Mark

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #47702

OG,
Was gone for a couple of weeks, the boat is looking good. I do hope you finish her. I would like to watch that as it happens. Don't give up on the site, there really are good folks here and contributing expertise is always welcome.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #47703

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, it is my understanding that Century like many manufacturers used student, high school, college help during the summer on their line. My Sabre was full of wedges, miscut boards, putty, missed screws. So much for old world fine craftsmanship.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6959 guests and one member online