• Page:

TOPIC: Question About A Find I Found

Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #39976

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I am hoping that some of you Woodies can help me figure out if I found a diamond in the rough or just a rough boat?

I saw an ad last night for an old wooden boat for $85 dollars.

rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2530477915.html

I went to see it today and I am baffled. It is not lapstrake, nor cold molded mahogany but looks like just 3/4 plywood with a bunch of paint on it. At first I thought maybe home made but when inspecting it had a lot of the mahogany decking detail and trim etc of something from a manufacturer,

The thing is that I cannot see any worn spots thru the old paint on the hull inside or out that appears to have any wood grain,

I wish I brought a camera but it has a few stringers running in the under the floor, and has a solid front seat much like a Cruisers or Lyman with flip of seat bottoms for storage and a deep splash well in front of the motor, etc, Has a plastic windshield but a mahogany center support bracket on the inside.

As you can see this boat is very beamy and deep unlike so many THompsons, Lymans, etc etc of this short 15 foot length. And what about those portlet windows with the wood trim for under the deck?

I am just baffled. Could not find any mfg plates stamps numbers etc on it but could be burried under plate I guess and did not climb in an root around. It had a 60's Evinrude hung on he removed to keep but has the classic 50's Attwood wheel and cable pulley still on it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....and oh yea one more clue...he showed me the mahogany fins he removed that also had loops in the front like hand rails.

Amdreas....you must have some thoughts here?

What about this Curt Craft I found in the library? The splash rail looks similar?
www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Curtcraftphoto004.jpg

Thanks.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #39978

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That's a stumper for me but for $85 it would be a good pick for a project, You have a motor and trailer and a boat. How can you go wrong :)

Re: Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #39981

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No no...there is no motor and trailer included. For the trailer(homemade with no papers either) he wants an additional $200. I do have a trailer to get it but still debating the issue. Right now the only thing I understand without knowing the origin of the boat is that the Attwood wheel is probably worth the $80 ...but then I have a HUGE project sitting around maybe having to pay storage for in the future.

I am leaning away from it now unless I hear that YEA this is a very rare Borum or whatever.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re: Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40024

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Borum comes to mind on this one Tim.

Re: Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40031

• CaryW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
g3jim wrote:

Borum comes to mind on this one Tim.

Funny, I have 0 knowledge of wood boats but the first thing that popped into my mind was that it looked like the old Borum that my mom grew up with.

Re: Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40032

Wood boats are fun to restore...home made trailer tags are of no problem (here in TX)

CAVU

Re:Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40131

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..TIM.: I would say for that price it is hard to go wrong.. Detach wood fins sounds like icing on the cake.. Looks to be bigger than 15' ,(?)... Mid 50's had quite a few companies making plywood outboard models...

. I tend to agree with the Borum lead .. The front ports should be unique.. Also TROJAN (Penn) & OWENS should be close models of that era. .. Most likely the name was on the rear outside quarter panels, & got removed for last paint job. Or fell off... Keep asking the owner for more details , or OLD PICTURES..!
.Let us know.

SPELTZ, Volume IV, Hard cover book has all literature on outboard wood models..Maybe even a copy now at your local library... Some of
the ACBS chapters have been donating books in different locations.

The owner states it is Still Registered, He / you can call up the D.V.M. get the MFG, when he applies for Lost Title. ?

Re:Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40268

Have you looked at Sport-Craft of Perry, Florida:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Sport_Craft

Re:Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40307

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..Here is a collector Library site for BORUM... Do not see that exact model , BUT a few have the bow Oval window, (?)
www.borumboats.com/index.html

Re:Question About A Find I Found 12 years 8 months ago #40490

Carter Craft of Florida is another that come to kind.

Article about 'em in a recent issue of "The Boathouse" magazine published by the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society www.acbs-bslol.com

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7192 guests and one member online