• Page:

TOPIC: Can anyone ID this old cruiser?

Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26666

• Robby321
  • Robby321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
This was my dads 17 (?) footer back in the 50's. That little tyke is me, about 5, and my dad. I cannot remember, or my older brother, what it was, and can't make out the name on the side. I was thinking maybe a "Cruisers", but I just don't know. Someone here maybe can ID it. Not a big deal, just been bugging me for years. Funny remembrance it. He lunched whatever motor at one time was on it, and borrowed my brothers Merc 20H off his Hydro, just so he would not miss the weekend of boating at the lake! Wish I had a pic of that! Thanks for any input..Robby
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26694

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
since it is plywood not a cruisers. looks to be a kit boat or maybe chris craft?? cool looking little boat regardless.

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26697

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Did you try scanning it in at a higher resolution and zooming in?

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26719

The black hull is distinctive. I first thought a Chris-Craft kit boat, but maybe Bryant Marina of Spokane, Washington (though I can't find a model that matches the cabin). The boating industry as very regional in the 1950's, it might have been a builder near where you lived.

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26730

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, my bad for not adding all the skinny. Yes, Plywood hull, and it was red and white, not black. I tried enlarging the pic in Picasa pictures, but just gets blurry. I need to find someone with a microscope, maybe I can figure it. I don't think it was a kit boat, as my dad bought usually new stuff, or only a few years old (had a new 53 corvette!) And this was all in the western suburbs, Chicago, and EVERY weekend we went to the Chain of Lakes, (Fox Lake). So many boats were made then be hard to really come up with a solid answer. But appreciated the help. Damn, I love the old boats! (and all the old memories!) Robby

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26733

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, I just took the pic, went out the shop and put it under the most magnification I had. Looks like Regal something ("Bros"?) and under looks Express? That ring any bells?

Edit. I just looked under wood boats, and see no Regal, but possible Revel craft?

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26734

We don't have much in the Library, but there was a "Regal Line" by St. Cloud Marine Mfg. of St. Cloud, Florida:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Regal_%28Florida%29

The following image is from a long ago ebay listing of a Regal Line advertising flyer supposed to be from 1957:
Attachments:

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26735

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'll have to wait until the kid across the street gets home, I think he has a microscope. I searched my butt off trying to find any info, not much to go on. Thanks for any help. I just emailed my brother if he has any old pix it. Funny story on the boat. My brother is 10 years older, and the boat was moored in the water at the lake. He went up there during the week some summer, him and his buddies, and they lined the floor with all the beer cans they consumed! So me and mom/dad, go up W/E. Damn, was he pissed off! Kids, gotta love'em...(and he let us all live somehow!)

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26736

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HandyAndy wrote:

We don't have much in the Library, but there was a "Regal Line" by St. Cloud Marine Mfg. of St. Cloud, Florida:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Regal_%28Florida%29

The following image is from a long ago ebay listing of a Regal Line advertising flyer supposed to be from 1957:

OK! That looks VERY similar hull style/windows. The front was a fixed window though. That had to be a Regal. Thanks the time. I get a better magnification on it, post more. I'll have to hit ya all up with a pic the "tender", he had for it. (Dad was a real show off, had a 1964 Amphicar too, and that was a REAL blast to slam into the lake!) The tender was about 6 foot, production made, Horizontal shaft B+S 5hp motor, through hull DD to a JohnnyRude style L/U, fixed, with a rudder.. Start a new thread on that..(it was the first boat he let me use my myself!)

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26752

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK..it IS a REGAL! My brother found one more pic. Middle. Forgot about the front hatch that came off. Dad, me, sis/BIL. Top bro in the Baby Switzer, right a Pram him and dad built, 7 1/2 Elgin. Bottom, the Pram, and the whole family. Another mystery SOLVED! Thanks for the help! Robby..
Attachments:

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26757

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to discover the history of an old family boat. I am glad you thought to share it with us.

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26761

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HandyAndy wrote:

Congratulations! It's a great feeling to discover the history of an old family boat. I am glad you thought to share it with us.

I gotta blame Dr Frankenmerc (Thom), for getting me all wound up again. I WAS content with my perfect running old Bayliner..(pix in profile), but I was retired, and always looking for barn finds, boat motors/bikes, something to work on, or part out for a few bucks. Meet Thom long ago when he was selling some old Johnson's. He showed me some the shop, and saw what I had at one time. An XS1500. I had a 76, on a 74 SwitzerSS17. One thing lead to another, and I ended up getting the Flatbottom (bare hull, finished in avatar) off him. I did the boat, refurbished an old trailer, while he built me a crank up fresh motor, orig 115, back to 135, "Frankenmerc" Some are not as lucky as me, to be able to go just sit and BS with Thom. I don't think ANYTHING MERC, he DOESN'T KNOW. Plus ED M, our parts the woods here too., and many more. Damn good people, and as this "new site/makeover". When did all this take place? I used to come here just to look at old boat ad's/flyers. Seems what has transgressed, is a super forum! All honest gearheads, little if any BS..(I just got done going through all 13 pages, the "Merc Outpost!" The knowledge shared is immense! More to go reading, and good timing, as I pulled my back out too, and then the Sciatic nerve, acted up, so it "sit time" for awhile. And say a prayer for Thommy too. His back operation didn't come out the best, but he's a trooper..(HA! LITERALLY!")..and neither us give up easy. Anyway, great new site/forum, and thanks a bunch again, on finding out about the old boat my dads! Heres a pic my old XS/Switzer, back in Illinois Chain of Lakes. So after all those years, I see an XS (and dozens of other IL6's!) again at Thoms? WHAM...knew it wouldn't be long before a fast boat with a "Stack" pushing it, would clog my driveway! Gotta relive the youth ya know! Robby
Attachments:

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26763

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
And now I remember! That front hatch flipped up and over onto the top. Let the air and sun in. Damn fine old boat!

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26956

Hey Robby!,...When are you gonna do another road trip over my way so we can tell more stories?!!
Always is cool to listen to your hot rod boats & motor cycles stories.
Every time I see that white flatty I kick myself for peddling it.
It is the best handling and lightest flatty I've owned.
I'll bet it would outrun the Raysoncraft sitting here - what do you think???
We have GOT to get our boats wet together this summer - a MUST.
Hopefully we can both save up enough loot to buy a tank of gasoline.
I wish I still had my old blue flatty too. My son really got a rush out of it when I turned him loose in it with the 1500xs.

Oh well pal,...We can always launch and drift while we tell stories.
Both boats will look faster than all get-out and no body will have to know the tanks are empty!
:laugh: :) :lol: ;)
Thom

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #26984

Thom,
That's quite a collection you had there. Boy I only wish.... :laugh: :lol:

Bob

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #27010

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thom, yep, now that ya got time off, we can play. I need to plate the trailer, drag it out to you. Go play. And give me a heads up Spencer lake..maybe make it this year. On the Blue flatty, compared mine, seems still some porpoise a punch, but the dropped chines and pad, must help. That tab setup on the blue one was not the best, maybe some yer prob with it. But was a sharp looking boat! That old Rayson still sitting by you? Didn't notice last time out. Heres a few more pix mine, for the rest here to see. And I'm itching to get out, been a dreamy winter! And for you with keen eyesite, the first pic is still breaking in Thoms fresh rebuild, why the trailer straps still on.

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #27035

Robby, Now that's a sweet ride. you and Thom together on the water with your flatty's would be a heck of a site. Would love to see that in person.
Bob

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 3 weeks ago #27041

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Waterwings wrote:

Robby, Now that's a sweet ride. you and Thom together on the water with your flatty's would be a heck of a site. Would love to see that in person.
Bob

Thom, sold the blue one..as with the power he put on it..(swear, ya go his dogpatch on the lake, go and take a whizz, come back, and he will have another motor on any, to try..!) and it was a straight flat, rounded butt.(Thom, the old one still in the "hood"?) But a bad porpoise monster, the HDY Trim Tabs, were not set right either. Told me that a turn, one would go up, water pressure, and the other down..almost spit him out. Needed separate valving I bet, trim tabs, the wheel, but Thom knows more than I EVER will! Now on the one I got off him? Go over there one day, the boat upside down, (his was a single turn fin, the one I bought had twin fins, 8 inch pad, and one inch dropped chines.."air rider!")..and it was SO sexy, said.."oh shit, here I go again.."how much?" He built the crank up old 'choked down", 115, back to a solid 135. A real "Frankenmerc!. But Thom is solid into the G3's..(and more)..(what ya got over there Thom, 3 G3's?). And he should post a pic, of the 15+ Sidewinder he's got in the shop. Being rigged/worked on/paint soon. Center steer..(Thom, that boat NEEDS the "Twister on it!"). Anyway, Thom, I need to drag out the Flatty, summer. A simple launch, then stick the fins in the beach you, tie it to a tree, leave ya the keys, and go play with it, as it still has .."more to go" maybe as I run the best gas, maybe crank up the timing a degree? I KNOW theres more in that motor, and ya gotta try out that 2B, 12x24 SS, cupped. Then toss on the one 24 I tried off ya. See the diff. That 24 3B, had the ass end going solid .."torque steer", and laying off WOT, simply too much blade in the water..squirrelly scary!! If used that prop, need to modify,/cut out a section the trim tab, to use that prop, as without the torque tab, need good hands the wheel..And I sure do need a "hot foot" too. In the works, soon. Next summer comes, you do the "magic", my ride on the water you. Then I will come out for the day, and you and me, will punch off, the Flatty, and yer G3! Heres a few more pix..Robby. (that second to last pic, the wheel, is my "Horn", simple old school metal "ring/ring bell", is "my horn", and I have many, and all my boats and bikes! Water cop yanks me side,..(seldom, actually never me here).."Wheres the horn?' Thumb the "ring/ring... HA!..then let out the dual electric horns, under the deck! Ya gotta get the cops a grinning first, ya get stupid with fun them, and bet they "water away!..(Right Thom?!)

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 2 weeks ago #27069

Robby,
Very nice! I like your passenger too. ;) Nice touch with the call 911 by the way! :laugh:

Bob

Re:Can anyone ID this old cruiser? 13 years 2 weeks ago #27105

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Waterwings wrote:

Robby,
Very nice! I like your passenger too. ;) Nice touch with the call 911 by the way! :laugh:

Bob

Thats my baby, "Sunshine Snugglebuts, the wonder dog" I can't remember what gave me the idea for the naming, but kinda makes sense, plus seeing as how boat bought off a cop? :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)