Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: If Only I Had an extra $25,000

If Only I Had an extra $25,000 13 years 2 months ago #24120

Dragged my Fagulas Seagull into the local boat shop today. I walked into the showroom and what I saw was a wreck. Maybe the most beautiful wreck I have ever seen. A 1940's or 50's era Century. Maybe 14' or so and set up for an outboard.

Very possibly the Imperial Sportsman seen here:

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oSGl6lW4zITq6ZKmyJUUTg

The layout of the deck wood was different (and narrower strips I think) but the hull and configuration is about right.

She was a wreck. Every piece shrunk from the dry climate, peeling varnish, separated joints, no interior. But even in that state she was a beauty. I'm no hand at such things but I could send to Greg Morley of handmade cedar canoe fame and let him work it over. I could easily imagine the restoration hitting $25,000+. Pretty boat, be nice to see it on the lake again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:If Only I Had an extra $25,000 13 years 2 months ago #24127

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i am also a rep for antiqueboatamerica.com. we have several imperial sportsmans listed and they will not hit the 25
k boagie.

Re:If Only I Had an extra $25,000 13 years 2 months ago #24131

I have to admit I was drawing from my experience with restoring cars; if you're lucky the car will end up being worth about half what you spend on the restoration. You're money ahead to let someone else do the work and buy the finished product, but what's the fun in that?

As it sits this little Century can't be worth more than $1000, but when you start tallying up the labor involved the cost spirals pretty quickly.

I did take a look at your site. When I was a little kid on Flathead Lake someone at the boat launch had a Chris Craft. I was pretty little but I remember it was a dual cockpit inboard of maybe 22'. It was love at first sight and I've been smitten ever since. Circumstances make owning such a boat highly impractical right now but that could change in the future.

Edit: Found a nice refinished Imperial for $6000 +motor. Why must you tempt me like this?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)