Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers...

To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #128950

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
....you can't see me but, I am on my knees bowing down in adoration over both of your wood working skills...
after reading the DeeWit and resorter posts.
Makes grinding and glassing look soooooooo Neanderthal that we do on the glassics.....
Cudos all around!!!!

Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #128956

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Randy...While I certainly appreciate the compliment, it's not really necessary. If you simply genuflect in my general direction now and then, that will do.

I am now in the midst of "grinding and glassing" a 1966 Correct Craft. I painted the hull 1955 Lincoln wisteria yesterday and created the most perfectly uniform layer of orange peel lavender you'll ever see. I thought about telling the owner that the surface is the new stealth technology but I don't think he'll go for it. If Meguiar's #105 and successive finer grits doesn't bail me out, it's re-sand, re-prime, re-wet-sand and re-paint...for free...and hope the hell the next time I shoot it the same thing doesn't happen. I'll take mahogany ANY day!

If you'd like to see more Dee Wite restoration photos, here's the web address for my Photo Log: www.nautilusrestorations.com/1929DeeWiteModel9.html

I guess I just can't paint. Here's how my last job turned out:
P.S. I tried the Meguiar's. No go. On Monday, I'm going to Sand City.
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #128973

Randy,
Thanks but I don't think I qualify for the humbling honor, I'm certainly no Jan!!!!!!!!!He may be the second most interesting man in the world, I think I'm the third..... a distant third. LOL

Bob

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #128985

Jan,
Had a similar painting experience with my truck cap recently.
The "clear" ended up with severe orange peel.
Wet sanded #400, #1000, #2000, then Maguire's "Ultimate Compound" and saved a re-paint.
Compound by itself didn't cut it.

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #129007

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Jan, I too had the stealth paint job on my Tomahawk. Did almost to the "T" what Bill said. Go gentle on the 400 wet. You do have a hefty coat of paint to begin with though.
Orange peel is a great finish for bottoms though. It gives that micro bubble effect through the water and will add another 50mph at top end not to mention fuel savings.

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #129009

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Actually, the orange peel is so bad that 400 grit isn't going to do it unless I want it to be my life's work. I've already taken the transom down with 120 grit on a 5" sander to smooth it out...worked great and doesn't take too long. After that, I'll go with 220 and THEN the 400 w/d. I'll shoot the tiny little transom first to see how it goes. If OK, I'll shoot the hull. If not, I'll shoot myself.

This isn't the paint but it's not too far off. It looked good going on but dried like a rhino hide. I mixed the paint carefully, used medium reducer, had a good "fan": when I sprayed, kept the proper distance, etc. etc. I guess I just wasn't holding my mouth right or something.
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:To Jan and Bob....and the other wood workers... 7 years 4 months ago #129124

Here in humid Florida my learning curve has increased. My air hose to gun condensated causing small filter to fail. In a pinch I bought cheap harbor freight disposable filter, never do that again. It actually added impurities. Disposable gloves, careful there too. I bought a box and found it was powdered. Ruined that paint job with silicone powder. Another time back in the farm, crop duster came by....

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5918 guests and one member online