Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Barbour Boats

Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12622

Hello,
If anyone has any familiarity w/ Barbour Boats, in particular parts availability and good pics for restoration purposes of a mid 50's 16 ft "Silver Clipper", I would appreciate hearing from you.
This boat was given to a friend of mine. She's in very nice shape & watertight, but a few trim pieces are missing and the windshield needs to be replaced. Also, the rear seats and all cushions need to be recreated. She came w/o paperwork so we're also not 100% sure on the model year.
We've done the usual Google searches which turned up minimal useful info. Nothing really on EBay either. My one good source here in MD is an inboard guy so he couldn't provide much but he did give me a few leads. Unfortunately, none of those leads has been fruitful as of yet.
The company was based out of New Bern NC. If you know much about the boats or know someone who has one who wouldn't mind sharing a few good pics or resources I would appreciate the help.

Sorry, I don't have a pic to attach as I'm writing from work and the pic is at home. Here's a link to may original post over at CCF.com, a picture is posted there.

www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18905&title=barbour-boats

Thanks in advance and nice site you have here. Glad to have found it.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12625

I restored a Barbour Vacationer a few years ago. It's now in Norfolk, VA. Some issues with design, but a good boat.

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12626

Any good resources you could recommend?

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12628

Not really. Like most of the orginal wood boat builders they are long ago out of business. Cruise ebay frequently as you'd be amazed what pops up. The best thing is to post some photos here as far as structural or specific questions. The big issue I had with the Voyageur (sorry rememebered it as a Vacationer) was a poor method of attaching the transom boards to the sides. Both sides had loosened significantly and a better method had to be devised to make it strong.
Attachments:

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12637

Thank you.

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #12911

Go the the Classic Library section here. There is some Barbour Boat information. The company records are housed in a library in North Carolina (the contact informaiton is here in the Librarry section)

Andreas

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 8 months ago #13046

Thanks, I had not seen that yet.

Re:Barbour Boats 13 years 6 months ago #17114

Hey, Beautiful Barbour Silver Clipper!
I just started renovation on a 59' model that looks just like yours, but with a natural hull.
As far as hardware, they used perko parts. You can find the serial # written in pencil on the backside of the bildge floorboards (first 2 digits are the model year).
I saw a 60' Silver Clipper at the Raleigh wooden boat show 2 weeks ago...She was floating (but the bildge pump was running strong).
I'm currnently looking for the hull logo's and one set of starbird side window retaining trim for the optional vented wooden windshield that mine came with.
I think most people that have experience with Barbour boats will tell you that they are very well made (mine is solid mahogany with very little plywood), but had a few quirks with transom assembly.
Later,
Tom

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7763 guests and 2 members online