• Page:

TOPIC: New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer

New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90379

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've had 4.80 X 8 tires on my trailer since I bought it a couple years ago. I always think about how many rpms they must be clocking on the interstate. I also had very little clearance between skeg and pavement at the boat ramp. I finally pulled the trigger on some new 4.80 X 12 tires. They sure look more like what should be on the trailer. I can't go wider than a 4.80 due to the odd suspension on this old Alloy. As an added bonus, when I pulled off the tires I detected a lot of drag on one side and dismantled to find an inner wheel bearing had corroded badly since last fall due to a cracked seal, so I've ordered up new bearings and seals all around.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90425

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good call on the upgrade Norm, personally I have the same thoughts on the 8" rim/tire assy's. ALSO a good reminder on checking the bearings and such at least once a season, the bearing buddies will give you a false sense of not needing to perform regular maintenance. Much better to address the issue at home than on the side of the road!

Mark

Re:New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90426

Yes I like to check mine at the end and about mid season myself. I don't like the idea of water lying inside the hub over winter.

Re:New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90433

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
When I bought the boat, the owner told me he had recently greased the bearings. I assumed(oops) that he had pulled the hubs and cleaned/repacked them. Apparently he had only shot some fresh grease in the bearing buddies. I'm sure lucky that I found the problem before the bearing completely fried. It was a rusted mess. My first trip in springtime would have finished it. Been pulling small trailers all my life but this one still snuck up on me. With a boat trailer, utility trailer, and two small campers, it seems I never catch up on the bearing maintenance.

Mark, I waited quite a while on the tires because of the hub centric vs lug centric issue. Even though my hubs are somewhat hub centric (they have tapered lug bolts, not studs and lug nuts), I decided to try the 12" rims with the oversized center hole. If I run into problems I see several new hub sets on ebay that I could use to convert the trailer to true lug centric.

Re:New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90456

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good point Robert, best to get it out before the hard freeze hits!

Two thoughts Norm;
1) I bought a pair of complete hub assy (four lug) for my Holsclaw before a long road trip, wanted to be prepared for bearing failure on the originals. (Still in the garage, not yet installed.) I think I paid about $60 for the pair at Northern, make sure you get the ones that are "marine applications" - double lipped seal on the inner side. I really like the fact that they convert from the older lug bolt style to lug nut style, much easier to change a tire on the side of the road.

2) re:hub-centric - I bought a set of slotted "mag" wheels for my Glastron trailer, but the inside (hub hole) of the wheels is much larger than the trailer hub. Since this style of wheel uses the shank style lug nuts, there is a doubt in my mind about mounting them on there and being truly "centric". I'm thinking of having some spacers machined (if I can't find them off the shelf) to correct this issue. I remember seeing some many years ago for BMW's and Mercedes, I'll have to do some research before I bother my brother the machinist. ;)

Mark

Re:New Shoes for my Alloy Trailer 10 years 1 month ago #90465

• Normspeed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sounds like the machined spacers would be the way to go. If I had a brother that was a machinist, he would get no rest!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6841 guests and one member online