Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Temporary Tire on Small Trailer

Temporary Tire on Small Trailer 10 years 3 months ago #87698

I have a small utility trailer for hauling odds and ends - it actually is an older Cox boat trailer repurposed for trips to Home Depot, etc. I'd say the trailer has a capacity of around 1000lbs - the stock tire is a 480-8. I really hate having those small tires on the trailer and want to upgrade to something larger, but I also hate buying trailer tires in general. It always seems they have to be thrown away after a couple of years after dry rot - usually with 90+ percent tread left (Yes, I have used tubes in the past). Incidentally, this is why I go with a commercial LT tire for my EZ Loader...Load Range E - 10 ply.

Anyway, got some new spares (donuts) that someone was giving away, and low-and-behold the bolt pattern fits my small trailer hub. This would "upgrade" me up to a 14" wheel plus the tire.

Given a hard comparison on specs on the donuts (they are Hankook S400) and the intended purpose, why not? Speed rating is 81 mph - I tow at max 65MPH and the load range is 95 (approx 1500lbs). I would only load them at around 500lbs each or less.

I understand these have fewer plies than regular tires, but they are a diagonal ply - which I think is the same as bias. I would think they'd be better than these little wheelbarrow tires I have on there now.

Oh, I've got a really good set of leaf springs on there, if it matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Temporary Tire on Small Trailer 10 years 3 months ago #87699

most temp spares also have a distance on the sidewall (like 50 miles or something)....depends on how far your going....good luck with that....john

Re: Temporary Tire on Small Trailer 10 years 3 months ago #87706

I upgraded to the 12 inch tires on a trailer. Only had to move my fenders up higher. Easy Breezy, just made a plate for the fender raising it what ever it needed. It was not a boat trailer and I have since sold it. But it worked great. We had a trailer without a title we were scrapping that donated it's rims. Bolt pattern was the same.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)