• Page:

TOPIC: LED lights on eBay

LED lights on eBay 11 years 7 months ago #68722

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I needed to replace the lights on the Custom Craft trailer and wanted to go with LED. However, the $72 price tag at West Marine and the $64 + shipping at Overton's was a little out of my price range. So I went to eBay to see what was there. There is someone selling kits of submersible lights for $29.90 with free shipping. Figured I'd try a pair and see what happens. Here is my review:

The lights came promptly, not in an original package, but complete and intact. The kit included the two lights, wires, license plate bracket and accessories. The lights looked similar to the normal light with a square lens and a round section in the middle. Two interesting things: The nuts on the back required a 10cm wrench and there is no DOT or SAE number on the lens. I installed them on the trailer brackets and proceeded to run the wires. The wiring harness was very poor construction and had 4 independent wires, I believe 18ga. These proved problematic and I ended up scrapping them. The wires from the original lights (which I had re-wired when I got it) was in reasonable shape so I re-used that. The license plate bracket was standard issue and didn't use considering the trailer has a plate bracket welded on. The accessories were complete and standard issue as well. The lights work well and seem to be just fine.

My recommendation would be try these but plan on either purchasing a new wiring harness or re-use the old one. Even if you have to buy a new one, it's still cheaper than the big box marine store or its competitors.

One other note is that I don't ground the lights to the trailer. I run a separate wire back to each light and connect it to the ground wire on the plug. When I do this, I never have a problem with lights not working.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:LED lights on eBay 11 years 7 months ago #68728

4 months and still going strong. I paid $7.00 a piece at an Auction/ Salvage type store. See posting below a ways. You will be happy. I used my old :kiss: wires. They were in excellent shape. I went back and got 2 more.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)