• Page:

TOPIC: Trailer Chains

Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67902

• jim18611865
  • jim18611865's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am going to redo my chains and coupling.
The chains are currently one link coming off the front bolt on the coupling. The link attaches to the middle chain link. Hence there is no way to cross the chains since it is one chain.
I want to make it proper.
How would I do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67905

On most I have re-chained I drilled a hole clear through the tube watching got the wires. I used a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt with washers and lock washers and bolted it on. My Tee Nee had these neat brackets already. Use a heavy enough link to do the job. Don't scrimp here.
Attachments:

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67925

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I have a small trailer that like yours has one chain. But it is long enough that I loop it through the hitch and back to the trailer and secure it with a closing quicklink. I like the quicklinks rather than a hook. Anyway this way the single chain becomes doubled. Of course it does not solve the problem of how to cross the chains.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67941

I got a stainless steel safety chain set from West Marine and drilled mounting holes for them in the sides of my hydraulic actuator. They look great!

Frank

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67942

In Pennsylvania it is now illegal to use S hooks to hook too you tow vehicle. You have to use the large snap clips or a quick link.

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67945

a single chain bolted down through the tongue of the trailer through the center link is still acting as two chains an can still cross. chain is bolted whilst being held perpendicular to the tongue. not sure why you think they cannot be crossed?

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67948

I used quick links at the trailer and these hooks I use on the truck. They can be changed from chain to chain in seconds. I left the s hooks on for now. I don't use them.
Attachments:

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #67999

These are the chains I got: www.amazon.com/Seasense-Stainless-Safety-16-Feet-24-Inch/dp/B001P2T6U2/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346269973&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=SeaSense+S.S.+Trailer+Safety+Chain

When it's not hooked up to the truck, I just bring the chains around and hook them to my jack. Keeps them out of the way.

Attachments:

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #68043

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I got some heavy chain from a local Hardware store and added some snap hooks with quick links - don't need stainless or galvanized in my opinion. Never had to back a trailer down into the water so far the chains got wet ?
Attachments:

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #68064

Every non-stainless chain I have ever had on a boat trailer rusts eventually. It doesn't need to be backed all that way down in the water, or at least I have never had that experience. I like my stuff to look nice, but do whatever you like.

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #68067

• jim18611865
  • jim18611865's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys, you have given me just what I need.
I like those metal tabs on Roberts and bhamrick's trailers. I always though the bolt shouldn't go through the links, but I don't know why.

This came about after I almost got to see how good my chains really were.
My 15 year old has been rigging up the trailer and boat while I am at work so we can go out right at 4:30 til dark.
Luckily I checked his work. The coupling was clamped down over the top of the ball instead of over it.

I had taken a different trailer through inspection and it was failed because there was one chain. In CT they must be two separate attachment points. I did it exactly like Frank putting the bolt right through the links.

Re:Trailer Chains 11 years 7 months ago #68142

Ha Ha, The ramp at Crooked Creek Lake goes in so shallow the back tires on my F-150 get wet. :woohoo: In fact when I step out of the truck my feet get wet. :ohmy:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)