Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Custom Made Trailer

Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #55530

Since this topic has nothing to do with my Bearcat 55 outboard and everything to do with trailers, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread. I'm presently taking a welding class at Cerritos College, Ca. I'm at a point now, where I know enough to weld since I've passed all my welding tests. There are two basic types of trailers. One where the square tube beam sticks out and one where the sides bend in at the coupler. I'm building a 15' outboard skiff. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #55537

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe most of the vintage trailers from "back in the day" were single beam construction Craig, so if you're going for that look choose something along those lines. The "side beam" designs look like they would be stronger (structurally), probably offer a little more side impact protection to the boat, and give you more options mounting bunk brackets, accessories, etc. I would think. If you google "boat trailer plans" there are a few sites that come up to get ideas from, just a thought. Good luck with your project, hope to see some pics as it comes along!?

Mark

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #55559

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Check out Glen-L, they have a book and plans for building trailers, which would probably save you a lot of hassle in trying to figure things out. The older, "T" style trailers are nice, but the slightly more modern "A" style far more functional. Are you going for a vintage look?? If so, I'd build a more modern trailer anyways, then kind of focus on the fenders, etc to make it look period.

-Andrew

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #55585

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will go with the "A" type. I just put a new fan in my buzz box. AC/DC+ and DC- will give me the flexability I need.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #56243

Well, good news and bad. The buzz box, according to my instructor, is not good for welding aluminum. Also, the guy who rents next to my garage, tells me that the DC+ side is not as deep of weld as Lincoln advertises. My instructor highly recomends a mig welder which will weld up to 3/8 steel, aluminum, and stainless as well! The good news, my instructor knows someone at MPV Welding Supplies who will sell me a Lincoln SP 140T at a super price. It runs off 120V house current. So, this will work out great. Once I get my welder, I will post the progress from beginning to end.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 2 months ago #56246

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What are you going to make this trailer out of? Aluminum? I'm not certain but I believe that most trailers, then and now, are made of steel or galvanized steel. All things being equal steel is a much stronger metal.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56706

Shipster, just got your post. Yes, it's going to be from steel channel. 1 5/8"x4"x1/4" thick. The channel will face in. I'm going to tack "holders" on the inside to hold plastic ribbed tubes that I can run my electrical wires thru. This is going to be a totally custom trailer with side steps, front box, and lots more. I finally had my 6010 weld test today and finally passed. It's harder than it looks! I'll probably rust oxide first, then prime and paint. I'll post the plans first before I start.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56714

I've built and repaired a number of trailers over the last 15 years with a good 110V Lincoln mig (SP125) running 030 wire. I learned on a stick and had a 220/240 ac/dc buzz box for years, but sold it. You don't need that kind of power to weld trailers, but it will certainly do the job. A good 110/120 mig does a great job, especially if you learned how to weld with stick. I've never done it, but my mig can switch to aluminum too. I also have a 023 sheath for lighter stuff.

Frank

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56721

I plan to get a Lincoln sp 140. They have them at Lowe's for about $550.00. Then I can weld Aluminum and stainless. Also, my instructor is gonna show me how to weld thicker steel, up to 1" with a mig welder. 1'! I will never use it for that, but it will be nice to know. Today we had the opportunity to use a CAC(carbon arc cutting)machine. LOUD. I'm still gonna hang on to my buzz box. The reason I don't use it, is my apartment doesn't have a way I can hook up to 220. I'm gonna start my project soon.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56735

That will serve ya well. Back in the day when I bought mine, it was top of the line, just like the 140 is now. I've gone though lots of wire and love my welder even if it is old. Never had a stitch of trouble with it. Once in a while I've used it on heavier stuff than it says it can do, and it's been succesful, but I can do that because I learned to stick weld first and understand how it works. That 140 will be just fine for building a boat trailer.

Stainless is pretty much like steel when yer welding, but aluminum is something else. I need to change the innards around on my mig to run aluminum, so it's a bit of a pain. Aluminum welding is very different, and takes lots of practice. I've never tried it.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56736

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Congratulations Craig on passing your test. Don't let your license lapse. Remember, you can never have too many careers!! It seems like Frank has some very good advice on which welder to use. I am only a stick welder myself so I can't offer too much in that regard.

Now if you are in the process of designing your own trailer that you are going to build yourself keep one thing in mind. Try and make certain that you can reach ALL sides of ALL of your welds in order to clean off the slag and flux and whatever other residue is left over after you weld. I'm finding out the hard way in the renovation of my Gator that it only takes a very small spot that didn't get primed or painted for the GD rust to put an unsightly blemish on your freshly painted trailer. Good luck and post pix.
Shipster

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56868

Thanks, guys, for the words of support. Lowe's gave me the number of Lincoln in Minnisota, and I found out everything about the migs I want. Lincoln does not make a cheaper version for Lowes or Home Depot. However, they do make one with their own model #. The sp
140 T is the just the 140. Home Depot is HD 140. T is for home use and the S is for commercial. Wednesday we welded thin metal with a 6011 and it was hard! But, I passed that as well. As far as the trailer is concerned, my instructor suggests to weld a pad on the inside of the joint for strength. Can't wait to start.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56872

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Check out this welder, too-

www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

It compares to the Lincoln in performance (they do a side by side comparison in one of the videos) but costs a LOT less... It's also got some features that the lincoln doesn't, like infinite speed and power adjustments. It is usually $340, but goes on sale for $300. I just got mine, and have been REALLY impressed so far- And I haven't even used it with shielding gas yet.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #56881

craig....1/4 thick is a bit overkill for a 15' boat...most boat trailers are 1/8...chevy 3/4 ton trucks are 1/8 for that mater...if you have to butt weld 2 chanels together be shure to plug weld a sleave on the inside...don't weld the sleave solid...just 6 3/8 inch plug welds on each rail use a good quality seam sealer anywhere it looks like water could get behind...john

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57148

I don't believe you guys! The info your giving me is priceless. The mig 135 is exactly what we are using in the shop. You can weld steel, stainless steel and aluminum. You just saved me 225 bucks! I saw an 1/8" steel trailer at Harbor Freight and it looked a little thin. It may have been 1/16". Anyway, I put Eastwood on my favorites. You guys are the best. I'm getting my trailer parts from Trailerparts.com. thanks, guys.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57152

I've been welding since about 10 years old. Dad bought me an old Lincoln 225 welder. I passed Pullman Standards welding school. My 7018 weld was in the display for perfect welds for years until they closed. I don't own a mig but do have a flux core that will do a lot. I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned the old stitch welder. They were a useful welding tool before mig and fluxcore were affordable. But one thing for sure is a bunch of good information is in this thread. I have no way of welding aluminum here myself although I have done it. The problem with the square tube trailers is the ones with the thin tubes like the one I use for my MFG. At one time someone kept backing up and hit the tube and bent or worst broke the tube. I seem some real bad looking repairs too. I seem a few that just rusted to bad to use and needed a tube replaced. That is what I was going to do and add a few feet onto the trailer at the coupler end. Mine is short. On ramps that go in shallow it feels like I'm launching the truck. LOL It would make it easier to see too.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57172

Robert, 10 years old is about when I started working with wood in my grandfathers shop. So, welding is kinda new to me. I've got the hang of it and I'm in the top three in the class. I'm going to make the trailer out of channel. I went to a Merc. Boat shop and looked at the tailers they had. Nice. Some of them had channels turned in and some out. I prefer in so I can hide the wires. By the way, 7018 Hobart welds sweet. Less arc blow and really smoothe. Next week, pipe welding! I hear it's not so easy.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57175

CraigLam wrote:

Next week, pipe welding! I hear it's not so easy.

You heard right! What's most fun is welding exhaust pipe upside down under a vehicle. Been there, done that!

Frank

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57192

Thin pipe welding can be an art. I used to make my own headers. No fancy tools, just my Lincoln a few assorted hand tools and a hack saw. I still got that welder too. I've had it over 40 years. Practice ,practice ,practice and you'll achieve your goals. I used to work wood but found I don't have the patience for large projects anymore. I was never that good at it anyway. LOL.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57193

When I was doing the 7018 practice welds in PS school I was turning perfect welds out all day long and just pushing the slag on the floor. I was finishing a weld and just about got tackled before I broke the slag. The slag was in one piece curling up and away from the weld. No splatter and perfect. That piece was in a cabinet with the matching slag for years.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57379

I went to the Eastwood website and saw that they have a special for $414.00 that inclused the cart and new self darkening helmet. That's the mig 135. We are doing plasma cutting this week and getting into mig, heavily, with an emphasis on FCAW. Can't wait to start my trailer. I talked to a friend that works at OSH across the street from me, and he says that Eastwood has a lot of great stuff. I never heard of them before. The welder comes with a 3 year warrantee! As soon as I start, I will be posting alot of pics.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57384

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just got an Eastwood 135 last week. It's GREAT! My welding improved instantly as compared to my old 85 amp wire feed machine... I don't have shielding gas yet, I've been using flux core, but I can't wait to try it, I've been told it'll be a lot nicer to work with.

I got the 135 on sale for $299, it goes on sale every so often for that price. I'd skip the cart and helmet, especially if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they are pretty much identical other than price! I got the cart for $39 and the helmet for $40, both with coupons. You may have to wait a bit 'till the coupons come out, but it'll save you some cash!

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #57396

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Eastwood has a lot of great stuff. I never heard of them before.

They're really well known in the classic car/truck restoration circles Craig, I think that's where they started and specialize. Obviously many of the tools and such carry over into our hobby/obsession. :laugh:

Mark

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #58060

Make sure your new Lincoln can accept 10 llb spools of wire, as that will save you a bundle over the 2 llb jobs. And I would probably skip the aluminum with this machine. You will need a different gun (a spool gun or a "cobra" gun could probably be adapted) but you can't just run AL wire through it as is. If you're wanting to repair AL boats, buy yourself a TIG. MIG is usually used for heavier stuff (like trailers).
I can't see who posted the 1/4" comment earlier, but I will second it. 1/4" would be way too heavy for a pleasure boat. I would stick with 1/8". Go back to the marina and look at all those new trailers again and see what size of materials they use. Good luck with the welding!

Casey

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 1 month ago #58066

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i didn't see anyone mention it, so i thought i'd throw it out there:

Stay away from used welders unless you (or a buddy) are REALLY familiar with the machine in question. you can save a LOT of money and get a really capable machine for cheap but it's going to be a gamble if you don't know what you're looking at inside and out. there are a lot of electronics inside that can be on their way out and, though replaceable, they can take up all of the money you saved by looking at used stuff.

In our area we have shops that use solely lincoln products and some that use nothing but miller. both seem to be decent brands, but there are other good ones out there. whichever brand you go with, make sure there is some sort of support available locally. nothing quite like encountering a problem and having a store to take the welder to. beats the heck out of guessing.

just my two cents
chris

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 4 weeks ago #58240

It's been a while since I've posted about my progress. I passed my welding midterm exam today. Also, my practical exam, as well. Talk about tough. "If 6010 and 6011 rods are both deep penetrating rods, with the same tensile strength, what's the advantage switching from 6010 to 6011?" And that was an easy question! Since my daughter's 21st birthday is in June, I have to hold off getting my welder until after that. Like, the next day! I've decide on the Lincoln. Some good advice from my instructor. Our oxyacetylene test is Wednesday. Thanks to Billr, my Bearcat is going well. But, once I start the trailer, I'm gonna post from start to finish.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 3 weeks ago #58345

The only way I'd think of getting a used machine is if it was a old arc welder from way back when. I had two Lincoln here that were used at Pullman Standard. They went out of business in about 1981. I know I worked there. We built RR cars. These units weighed about 600 pounds of mostly copper. For straight stick welding they could not be beat and were built like tanks. In fact they were old enough to be used in WWII production. I had a 1938 model and a 44. They were more than what a guy building a trailer needed. I'd get a electric unit that takes inert gas.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 3 weeks ago #58371

Robert, that's what I've decided to do. I can buy one off the internet from Lowe's and use my paypal acct. This advice came from my welding instructor who said that one made in China is not a good idea because they don't guarantee the gun and regulator. Lincoln guarantees everything. Also, parts would be easier to find with the Lincoln. I just have to wait a few more weeks to get one. I got a whole lot of projects lined up. My trailer is the biggest one.

Re:Custom Made Trailer 12 years 3 weeks ago #58380

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lincoln does make some nice units, But I found that the price difference was too great. You can get a welder with more features for less money by going with an Eastwood. They've also got a 3 yr warranty Vs. the one year that most have, and as far as the 'chinese made' thing goes, good luck with that. Most of the smaller welders I've seen, including the lincolns, were built somewhere else (Mexico on the lincolns). But- You certainly won't go WRONG with a lincoln, they make nice machines, just cost a bit more.

AS for the paypal- An interesting side note. Our local Home Depot store now accepts paypal right at the register! You just enter all your info into the keypad at checkout. I though that was pretty cool, although it doesn't matter much since I've already got a debit card linked to my PayPal account. ALL my boat/truck restoration projects are funded out of there, thanks to E-Bay :)

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)